Spagnola: Don’t Be Taking A Player At No. 4 In The NFL Draft Just Because

Carp

DCC 4Life
They paid Sherman after investing cheap draft capital on him. Same for their other corners. We paid Carr and have drafted two corners in the first round in recent years. When is enough, enough? Wha, third time is a charm?
I thought Jones was moving to S...but to make things more convenient, let's call him a CB.

Like I have said more than once in here...I am not advocating to draft Ramsey, but let's gloss over that. Ramsey is an outstanding prospect though, no doubt...if only he can hold off William Jackson III.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
I thought Jones was moving to S...but to make things more convenient, let's call him a CB.

Like I have said more than once in here...I am not advocating to draft Ramsey, but let's gloss over that. Ramsey is an outstanding prospect though, no doubt...if only he can hold off William Jackson III.
For the record. Stay at #4? For me Zeke is really the only choice.

Hmmm? A dynamic play making young 3 down running back?

Or we rather shuffle in Joseph Randle and Christine Michael types instead? That mantra of slotting in just about any RB behind that "Dallas offensive line" and successful results has pretty much been proven wrong.

I want a guy that we don't have to hold our breaths on 3rd and 1... And a RB that brings some juice and attitude to the offense. For those periods when, although they've played together for years, it looks like their 1st time on the field together.

The league saw what an explosive, dynamic young runner like Gurley did for his team.

Here's hoping that Dallas took notice as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Feh...can't worry about where a player was picked now...that ship has sailed.. Shit, Frederick was supposed to be a 3rd round prospect, but that worked fine.

CB is a bad word around here, but both Denver and NE invested heavily in the position on their way to the championship. Seattle with Sherman the year before that too.
I'm not worrying about where Jones was picked, was only using him as an example because I think they are similar players. And not sure what Frederick has to do with this, but ok.

Also, I'm not part of the CB is bad crowd. I just don't think Ramsey is worth a top 5 pick. I don't think he is the best corner OR the best safety in this draft. I think he's getting the love he is because of his athleticism, and because he is the best tweener CB/S. Meaning he could play both. Still doesn't mean I think he's worth being drafted that high. I think he's a good player. And I wouldn't mind taking him if we picked around where we did last year.

If you want a corner, move down some and get a better one. If you want a safety, you can get a better one at the top of the 2nd.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is a matter of convenience. If you want a corner, pretending he is the best one and worth a top five pick is just projection. He is a similar athlete, like Jones, who can do both, but there is a question if he is elite at either.

I like him too, but he will not make it to 34. Some teams value him over more well-known guys like Hargreaves and Alexander.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm not worrying about where Jones was picked, was only using him as an example because I think they are similar players. And not sure what Frederick has to do with this, but ok.

Also, I'm not part of the CB is bad crowd. I just don't think Ramsey is worth a top 5 pick. I don't think he is the best corner OR the best safety in this draft. I think he's getting the love he is because of his athleticism, and because he is the best tweener CB/S. Meaning he could play both. Still doesn't mean I think he's worth being drafted that high. I think he's a good player. And I wouldn't mind taking him if we picked around where we did last year.

If you want a corner, move down some and get a better one. If you want a safety, you can get a better one at the top of the 2nd.
Props. Been my stance all along.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Ramsey can't play corner and can't play safety and doesn't run a sub 4.4 ... but he's somehow a "freakish" combination of all three so therefore he should be the top pick in the draft.

Please, someone make San Diego take this guy before Dallas has a chance.

Then Dallas can trade Tunsil to the 49ers and draft whichever of Buckner, Elliott, or Bosa is still available while pocketing an extra pick or two.

Unfortunately I can't imagine the Chargers not making a similar trade down or drafting Tunsil outright.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm with you on this. If you want a safety? Get Joseph in the 2nd. Don't blow the premium pick on one.
Or Davis or Thompson in the 3rd.

Main thing is they are probably forcing themselves to consider Ramsey a "hybrid" player who can like, do whatever and stuff.

Like Jones. But supposedly more freakish and kick ass or something.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Or Davis or Thompson in the 3rd.

Main thing is they are probably forcing themselves to consider Ramsey a "hybrid" player who can like, do whatever and stuff.

Like Jones. But supposedly more freakish and kick ass or something.
And yet the freak athlete Ramsey was beat in nearly every category by Jones but is better cause FSU

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And yet the freak athlete Ramsey was beat in nearly every category by Jones but is better cause FSU
I just think it is funny when you confront a Ramsey truther to supply evidence he is much more than a shined up version of Jones.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ramsey can't play corner and can't play safety and doesn't run a sub 4.4 ... but he's somehow a "freakish" combination of all three so therefore he should be the top pick in the draft..
Who is saying he can't play corner and he can't play safety?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am exactly in this catogory of people. I don't dislike corners and I certainly see the value of a good one as opposed to Carr for example. I just am not high on Ramsey. I get that he is the concensus top DB but that doesn't mean he will be the best one.

I remembee a draft where Roy was probably the top safety by most people's standards but it was the safety who went after him that I really wanted.

townsend

Banned
I am exactly in this catogory of people. I don't dislike corners and I certainly see the value of a good one as opposed to Carr for example. I just am not high on Ramsey. I get that he is the concensus top DB but that doesn't mean he will be the best one.

I remembee a draft where Roy was probably the top safety by most people's standards but it was the safety who went after him that I really wanted.
Reed?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who is saying he can't play corner and he can't play safety?
I would accept him more as a safety. He was a decent blitzer and solid in run support in that role.

Still don't think worth the fourth pick though.

But everything suggests Dallas wants him as a corner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yes, but Reed wasn't really appreciated then as a ballhawk.

People were still into the David Fulcher-big safety thing.

Funny fact is that now the league seems to be going towards big safeties playing linebacker roles now.

Chancellor, Bucannon and the Rams just paid Barron.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would accept him more as a safety. He was a decent blitzer and solid in run support in that role.

Still don't think worth the fourth pick though.

But everything suggests Dallas wants him as a corner.
I agree, as stated before. But to say he CAN'T play either is pretty stupid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree, as stated before. But to say he CAN'T play either is pretty stupid.
I will probably vomit if we pick him, but it is not like he can't play.

I am more fearful of our own inadequacies to get the best out of him than I am his ability.

I just think he is not worth the pick if all you are going to do is line him up at CB. I also think he's a waste in regards to how Marinelli uses safeties.

If we had a creative DC and a multiple scheme, he would be much more appealing.

townsend

Banned

Funny fact is that now the league seems to be going towards big safeties playing linebacker roles now.

Just another example of us getting caught trying to follow trends instead of lead them. One year previous we had drafted Carter to be our Ersatz Mcnabb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I loved Ed Reed back then. My whole thing was that I wanted to trade down and take Reed as opposed to Roy who I thought had coverage issues.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just think it is funny when you confront a Ramsey truther to supply evidence he is much more than a shined up version of Jones.
Jones stock fell because he was hurt a lot in career if he had stayed healthy and came out in this draft he would be a top 10 pick.

He was getting some top 15 buzz last year.

Ramsey played longer more injury free and against better competition more consistently.

It's funny when the Ramsey deniers continue to ignore everything he has done since starting in the ACC as a freshman.

Top Bottom