Dallas Interested In Peppers

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'm sure Jerry is shitting the bed now and trying figure out a way to overpay Jared Allen at this point.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Unless Jerry is offering significantly more money than anyone else I don't know why Jared Allen would want to come to Dallas. He's probably had enough losing and more of that is what he would be signing up for.

hstour

Brand New Member
If we don't get Melton then I think we absolutely have to consider a trade up to secure Donald. I just can't see this defense working without an elite penetrating DT. Donald is such a unique player that you don't see every year. I'd say you just have to go out and make sure you get him.
I'm never for trading up. Draft picks are too valuable and it just costs too much to move up in the first round.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm never for trading up. Draft picks are too valuable and it just costs too much to move up in the first round.
I generally tend to agree. This team is chronically short of depth and we can't fill roster holes by having fewer picks.

D

Deuce

I've softened considerably in trade ups. Draft picks are great til you remember who's making them. I'll gladly sacrifice some mid-level picks to move up and grab a true difference maker in Donald. Just look at the garbage we've been taking in the 3rd and 4th most years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't trust Jerry to trade up or down, period. Last year was an exception.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't trust Jerry to trade up or down, period. Last year was an exception.
The players we ended up with are great, but still doesn't change the fact we have to go by our own trade value chart to show that we didn't get trade raped

junk

Not So New Member
I've softened considerably in trade ups. Draft picks are great til you remember who's making them. I'll gladly sacrifice some mid-level picks to move up and grab a true difference maker in Donald. Just look at the garbage we've been taking in the 3rd and 4th most years.
The problem with this is you never really get better. You end up with a team that is top heavy, but has no depth. Like the current team.

You need to hit on those 3rd and 4th rounders to build up depth and find those mid-round starters.

D

Deuce

The problem with this is you never really get better. You end up with a team that is top heavy, but has no depth. Like the current team.

You need to hit on those 3rd and 4th rounders to build up depth and find those mid-round starters.
And if we keep taking the JJ Wilcox's and AOA's of the world, that's a lost cause. I'd rather at least be top heavy in talent and compete when healthy than have average players in the first with more shit behind them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And if we keep taking the JJ Wilcox's and AOA's of the world, that's a lost cause. I'd rather at least be top heavy in talent and compete when healthy than have average players in the first with more shit behind them.
You just perpetuate where you are at though. You are basically accepting defeat in the mediocre product we have. It's why the Redskins have been the way they are -- they say "We can't draft, so we'll just give up those picks for veterans." Yeah.... true... they can't draft.... but they aren't getting anywhere with the veterans either. Without the commitment to actually getting better at drafting, neither approach makes a difference.

Our hope to get better is to try the Jimmy Johnson approach -- acquire lots of those valuable thirds and fourths and saturate your roster with them. Even if you have a bad talent eye like Jerry, if you get lucky, you'll find some guys to stick.

It's the only way.

D

Deuce

You just perpetuate where you are at though. You are basically accepting defeat in the mediocre product we have. It's why the Redskins have been the way they are -- they say "We can't draft, so we'll just give up those picks for veterans." Yeah.... true... they can't draft.... but they aren't getting anywhere with the veterans either. Without the commitment to actually getting better at drafting, neither approach makes a difference.

Our hope to get better is to try the Jimmy Johnson approach -- acquire lots of those valuable thirds and fourths and saturate your roster with them. Even if you have a bad talent eye like Jerry, if you get lucky, you'll find some guys to stick.

It's the only way.
Or we can do that and go 0-12 like we did in '09.

Im im not advocating doing it every year, but if you have a chance at a difference maker than do it. I applauded the Claiborne move and would again by making a smaller move to get Donald.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The players we ended up with are great, but still doesn't change the fact we have to go by our own trade value chart to show that we didn't get trade raped
That is my big deal about trading up or down. We will get raped because we are stupid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why anyone would applaud moving up for a CB is beyond me.
If that player is the "best defender in the draft", "the best CB since Deion", then I get it.

But we were so wrong on our evaluation of his talent and mental makeup that it just so pathetic.

If we trade up for Donald, I can only assume we think he is the best DT since Sapp. Not willing to go there as much as I like him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If that player is the "best defender in the draft", "the best CB since Deion", then I get it.

But we were so wrong on our evaluation of his talent and mental makeup that it just so pathetic.
And anyone should have been able to see that was the case.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And anyone should have been able to see that was the case.
Had we not just signed Carr, I guess so. But we just were idiotic because we were indulging Rob Ryan and his "I am only here to look at CBs" bullshit.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

It's the only way.
I agree with this. The roster is in such bad shape we need to carpet bomb it with players at every position until we achieve some kind of depth. Our scouting isn't that bad except for their love of small school defensive backs, which they should really stop.

Top Bottom