Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

Read

In a show of power, Ryan Russell got into Zack Martin’s body and drove him back in the pocket, right at Romo’s feet. Martin ended up on the ground after getting tangled up with Travis Frederick, but nevertheless, it was a nice sign to see Russell capture that much ground on the All-Pro guard.

Veteran tackle Charles Brown tried to set short on Benson Mayowa, but like Russell, Mayowa put his head in Brown’s chest and took him back into Kellen Moore. On the same play, Damien Wilson was able to carry James Hanna up the field and to the outside, not allowing Moore a place to go with the ball.

Alfred Morris looked decisive in the way he was running the ball – there was more quickness to his game than what I had seen in Washington. He made some really nice cuts with vision but also exploded through the hole.

I didn’t know much about Mike McAdoo before the start of this camp, but he flashed some at defensive end. He is a bit undersized weight-wise, but he is extremely quick off the ball. At 6-7 he has a rangy build, but there is something to work with here.

Hearing some whispers from those in the know that through two days of OTAs – Jameill Showers has been the second-best quarterback on the field. In watching him during practice, I thought his accuracy and poise were outstanding in the opportunities he received.
OTA LIVE

Jiggyfly

Banned

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Does this mean he was going backwards last year?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Scout's Eye: Coping Without Maliek Collins, Impressive Rookies From OTAs
Wednesday, June 01, 2016 5:52 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus

IRVING, Texas – Five OTA practices are in the books, and we in the media have now been on hand for two of them.
I watched two hours of practice out on the fields at Valley Ranch, and these are my impressions from the second week of proceedings. Ten thoughts from practice: Read
With Darren McFadden missing practice this week to attend to some personal business, Ezekiel Elliott was running with the first offense with Alfred Morris and Darius Jackson as the backups. All three of the backs had snaps where they pulled off some nice plays. Elliott took a swing pass in the flat from Romo for a large gain. Morris, on a zone play going to his right, found a crease and exploded into the second level before the defense had a chance to react. Jackson timed a screen pass well which allowed the blocking to set up in front of him and he was able to carry the ball into the end zone untouched.

One player that I continue to notice during these practices, but who is not getting much acclaim, is Vince Mayle at wide receiver. I have yet to see him allow the ball to hit the ground when the quarterbacks have put it in his direction. He has made receptions one-handed and extending with two. Without the ball, he has found ways to get open and separate in his routes. His experience around the team last season is clearly paying off for him now.

I have seen Jack Crawford, Ryan Russell and Charles Tapper line up on both the left and right sides at defensive end. Randy Gregory and Benson Mayowa have only lined up on the right side. This staff likely believes that Gregory and Mayowa lack the power to handle that left side when it comes to the running game. David Irving has returned to practice after missing last week and he has been receiving work on the left side only. There is a side of me that believes that Irving could be the starter on that side during the suspension of DeMarcus Lawrence.

Chaz Green, who is in a battle for the swing offensive tackle spot, took snaps at left and right tackle and at guard as well. Where Green looked his best was on the left side as opposed to the right. His footwork and timing was better, and he just appeared more comfortable. This is his job to take over Charles Brown, who has had his share of struggles.

Rookie cornerback, Arjen Colquhoun had a nice play in 9-on-9, knocking the ball away from Chris Brown in the end zone. Brown tried to get him to bite on a “Slug-Go” (Slant/Go) and it worked until Jameill Showers didn’t get the ball out far enough and high enough for Brown to go get it. Colquhoun was able to rally back to make the play.

There were some nice battles in the red zone between Jason Witten and Byron Jones. Neither player was willing to give an inch – but I guess that goes without saying. Witten was able to separate from him a couple of times, which is a good sign considering that we all believed that he might have lost a step to his game. That doesn’t appear to be the case at all.

Keep an eye on rookie offensive tackle Ryan Mack out of Memphis. He had a bad snap where he jumped offsides, but overall he has been solid. His technique and finish have been impressive in the two practices that I have had a chance to see. He is going to get plenty of work at training camp and these preseason games to develop. Mack has been lining up on the right side, but his movement skills could allow him to see some action on the other side.

I’ll be interested to see what the front office does to handle the injury to Maliek Collins. They could wait till OTAs are over and work out a veteran or two to see where that takes them. Nick Hayden is still on the street as is Jeremy Mincey, but those guys are likely long shots. The college crop of free agents is pretty picked over as well. By my count, the roster current has 7 guys that could line up at defensive tackle. During practice, they went with a rotation of 6 guys while Jack Crawford played on the outside. This scouting department has had a history of finding defensive linemen off the street and plugging them in with some success. They are likely to have to do that one more time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited to see Chaz Green!!!
I know it's sarcasm but it actually would go a really long way if he could prove to be our swing tackle this year and at least show some progress towards being a starter at RT for down the road.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys with plenty to evaluate in final OTA
7:04 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Today is Organized Team Activity No. 9 for the Dallas Cowboys, their final one of the offseason.

Up next week is the mandatory minicamp where things don’t change much on the practice field from an OTA, but it gives the coaches more time to evaluate.

Coaches and scouts are always evaluating, so what is there to look for today?

Mr. Timeless

Jason Witten turned 34 in May. He is in his 14th season. He should be winding down his career. Coaches and staff members, however, see Witten moving quite well. Much is made of Witten’s 9.3 yards per catch from last season. People want to say he’s slowing down. He’s never been one to stretch the seams like a lot of tight ends these days, but his yards-per-catch average was as much about the quarterback play and play calling than it was him slowing down. It’s hard to gain yards after the catch on a curl. He was asked to be more of a security blanket for whoever played quarterback not named Tony Romo. Will he ever turn into a deep threat? No. But the Cowboys can use him more down the middle to give him chances to turn up the field to make plays.

How are the linebackers holding up?

With Rolando McClain missing, Sean Lee recovering from knee surgery, Jaylon Smith rehabbing and Anthony Hitchens banged up, there have been a lot of linebacker snaps to go around and not many linebackers. Veterans like Andrew Gachkar and Kyle Wilber have had to double up their workload. While it helps them prepare, it also wears them down. Second-year linebackers Mark Nzeocha and Damien Wilson have to use the extra snaps to make a positive impression going into training camp.

The other McClain

Terrell McClain is something of a mystery. He has been hurt for much of the last two seasons, which has prevented him from making an impact along the defensive line. Last year, he was knocked out for the year by a toe injury in Week 2. He has had no issues so far in the offseason and last week he was disruptive. It’s hard to count on McClain as a week-to-week player because of the injuries, but if he can stay healthy -- a common refrain on defense for many -- then the Cowboys have another penetrating defensive lineman to cause issues.

Who’s that guy?

A year ago at this time, you saw something from Lucky Whitehead, an undrafted receiver, to think he could make the team. The same goes for Cole Beasley, undrafted in 2012. But so far it’s been a relatively quiet showing for the undrafted receivers. Andy Jones, who was given a $15,000 signing bonus, has been the most consistent performer but has yet to make the "wow" play. Notre Dame’s Chris Brown has tremendous speed but he’s not made that eye-popping play either. Vince Mayle spent last year on the Cowboys’ practice squad. He looks the part with his size but he’s also hasn't generated a lot of talk. In these types of practices, you need some "wow" to create a buzz going into training camp.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jason Witten turned 34 in May. He is in his 14th season. He should be winding down his career. Coaches and staff members, however, see Witten moving quite well. Much is made of Witten’s 9.3 yards per catch from last season. People want to say he’s slowing down. He’s never been one to stretch the seams like a lot of tight ends these days, but his yards-per-catch average was as much about the quarterback play and play calling than it was him slowing down. It’s hard to gain yards after the catch on a curl. He was asked to be more of a security blanket for whoever played quarterback not named Tony Romo. Will he ever turn into a deep threat? No. But the Cowboys can use him more down the middle to give him chances to turn up the field to make plays.
Witten's game has always been more about hard work and consistency than raw speed or physical prowess. That's definitely helped his longevity.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
:window

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Don't sweat it.

He was a 3rd rounder last year, right?

Trading that 3rd last year should have netted a 2nd this year.

Next year...1st round! It's like Jerry's on a whole different level than the rest of the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the problem with drafting always injured players. The tend to remain always injured.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure signs of a chronic injury prone player or a malingering.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How would you describe someone that came to the organization two drafts ago and has yet been able to even practice? Is there another explanation other than chronic injury or malingering?

Top Bottom