Archer: With Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys won't have a committee approach

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hope we are judicious with Elliot's carries. I'd really like to give him about 300 carries. We have a couple of solid veteran backs behind him who can take 100-150 carries each no problem. McFadden can also catch some passes.

I'd like to see some third down sets with Elliot and McFadden both in the backfield so the defense won't know which is called to run a route and which is staying in to block.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's too bad we burned out Emmitt. Dude might have been something.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I imagine the machine will get back on that "new triplets horse" and ride it as much as possible. Romo, Dez and now Zeke. Can't you hear it now?
If it was five years ago, yeah. The "90s" triplets were all drafted within a couple years of each other. MI in '88, Aikman in '89 and Emmitt in '90.

Romo, 2003. Dez, 2010, Zeke is a 2016 rook. The best valid "triplet" comparison would be Roger(1969), Pearson(1973) and TD(1977) back in the 70s. Those teams had an actual defense though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He is referencing someone who said we overused Emmitt and burned him out.
Well, I think the Colts beat up James pretty bad in his first two years. 369 and 387 carries. Then he blew out his ACL and was under 1000 yards for two years and was never the same guy. I think, especially with a rookie and a guy who doesn't have Emmitt's compact build you don't just hand it to him 400 times. 300 carries is plenty when we have a 1000 yard rusher and another solid vet behind him on the roster to pick up change of pace carries. With Romo's health we probably need to look to run the ball 550 times if we want to go anywhere and I don't want the vast bulk of that on a guy that might hit the "rookie wall" late in the season (hell, DeMarco Murray wasn't a rookie and he did not look fresh late in 2014). If we get to the playoffs, I want Elliot fresh and ready to make big plays down the stretch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't compare Edgerrin James to Peterson, but I have no problem comparing Elliot to Edgerrin James.
James was a lot faster than Elliott, but is similar in almost every other regard.

I wish I felt that way about Elliott. Don't get me wrong, I like Elliott as a player but I don't see anything that makes me think he should be put in a similar category to Peterson.
Similarly he doesn't have that home run gear Adrian Peterson has. I like how Elliott can use short strides though to stay patient, something he and James have in common.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
How do you say that about Emmitt? We brought him along perfectly. Dude was durable AF.
As I replied in the post just before yours, he was amazingly durable and we still wore him out. He was never the same after 1995, and looking at the crazy number of carries I posted below you can see why.

Even great backs need to have their carries split.

The Giants' Kevin Gilbride was great at this.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
James was a lot faster than Elliott, but is similar in almost every other regard.

Similarly he doesn't have that home run gear Adrian Peterson has. I like how Elliott can use short strides though to stay patient, something he and James have in common.
He may not have the home run gear of AP, but from everything I've seen he definitely has an extra gear.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
80% of evrything he has done has shown that but some just can't acknowledge that.

Not saying he has been right but he has definitely stuck to a game plan of substance over flash.
I agree but it's that 20% that scares people. When you have been beaten down as long as we have you look for the punch that is coming. Well, expect it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He may not have the home run gear of AP, but from everything I've seen he definitely has an extra gear.
Oh absolutely. I love everything about this pick. If anything, Zeke will probably demonstrate that patience, power, balance, and vision more than compensate for pure speed.

I might have slightly preferred Buckner given the state of the defense, but Collins, Thornton, and Tapper give me hope. Especially Collins.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Elliott is really good at getting a couple more yards after contact and falling forward for a couple more. Much like Murray used to do. I think it's a big deal and we missed that last year.

Top Bottom