Jerry Jones gives insight into Dallas Cowboys' 2016 offseason

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeffrey Kahn - 22 hours ago

Will the Dallas Cowboys be spenders this upcoming offseason?

Owner/GM Jerry Jones certainly believes so. He went on 105.3 The Fan Friday morning and discussed the 2016 free-agent period.

"We don't have the challenge with the salary cap that we've had in some years past. We've got some room, we can make some things happen," Jones said. "And that's credit to the management of our group starting with Stephen (Jones). I can sit here and say that we've got flexibility as we look forward. That doesn't mean that we should basically be necessarily overly aggressive relative to, 'We'll we've got plenty of money.'

"The facts are that we don't have a real constraint there. We can do some things. There'll be opportunities for us, rest assure. Whether it be looking at the future relative to personnel in the National Football League or looking at anything, you have got to know that things are going to come across your radar that you had not planned on and didn't know about. And they're going to usually be more positive than anything you might have planned on. We'll get a shot at something like that, we always do."

According to Over The Cap, the Cowboys have $9,955,530 in salary cap room for 2016. Jones can make a few moves to free up some more space as well.

With Jones' recent words, could major roster cuts be on the way? If the Cowboys part ways with cornerback Brandon Carr this offseason, they'll free up $6,383,000, per OTC. And if the Cowboys cut right tackle Doug Free, they'll free up an additional $2,500,000, per OTC. Just a few names the Cowboys could possibly cut ties with based off of performance and position depth.

As far as the current squad goes, Jones likes where the 'Boys are heading. Most notably at the running back position, Jones believes McFadden can be the lead back next season.

"I don't think you take any player and preclude adding another player with him or behind him. We're going to use him just like we used him this year," Jones said. "And hopefully we'll have him earlier and won't have to be as conservative with him worried about some injury, a little soft tissue area that he had out of camp, hopefully we won't have to walk on egg shells, but have him like we're using him now. And certainly we'll want to have other backs, we'll have (Lance) Dunbar back, but we'll want to have other backs that play a role." McFadden signed a two-year contract with the Cowboys in March of 2015. If front office believes he can be the guy next season, it seems unlikely that they'll try to sign a big-named free agent running back. It also seems unlikely that the Cowboys will spend their first-round pick on a running back. What appears to be most likely is that the Cowboys will use a mid-round pick to on a running back.

A lot can happen between now and March, the start of free agency. But before the offseason begins this is what Jones, the owner, is envisioning.
------------

:window

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jeffrey Kahn - 22 hours ago

Will the Dallas Cowboys be spenders this upcoming offseason?

Owner/GM Jerry Jones certainly believes so. He went on 105.3 The Fan Friday morning and discussed the 2016 free-agent period.

"We don't have the challenge with the salary cap that we've had in some years past. We've got some room, we can make some things happen," Jones said. "And that's credit to the management of our group starting with Stephen (Jones). I can sit here and say that we've got flexibility as we look forward. That doesn't mean that we should basically be necessarily overly aggressive relative to, 'We'll we've got plenty of money.'

"The facts are that we don't have a real constraint there. We can do some things. There'll be opportunities for us, rest assure. Whether it be looking at the future relative to personnel in the National Football League or looking at anything, you have got to know that things are going to come across your radar that you had not planned on and didn't know about. And they're going to usually be more positive than anything you might have planned on. We'll get a shot at something like that, we always do."

According to Over The Cap, the Cowboys have $9,955,530 in salary cap room for 2016. Jones can make a few moves to free up some more space as well.

With Jones' recent words, could major roster cuts be on the way? If the Cowboys part ways with cornerback Brandon Carr this offseason, they'll free up $6,383,000, per OTC. And if the Cowboys cut right tackle Doug Free, they'll free up an additional $2,500,000, per OTC. Just a few names the Cowboys could possibly cut ties with based off of performance and position depth.

As far as the current squad goes, Jones likes where the 'Boys are heading. Most notably at the running back position, Jones believes McFadden can be the lead back next season.

"I don't think you take any player and preclude adding another player with him or behind him. We're going to use him just like we used him this year," Jones said. "And hopefully we'll have him earlier and won't have to be as conservative with him worried about some injury, a little soft tissue area that he had out of camp, hopefully we won't have to walk on egg shells, but have him like we're using him now. And certainly we'll want to have other backs, we'll have (Lance) Dunbar back, but we'll want to have other backs that play a role." McFadden signed a two-year contract with the Cowboys in March of 2015. If front office believes he can be the guy next season, it seems unlikely that they'll try to sign a big-named free agent running back. It also seems unlikely that the Cowboys will spend their first-round pick on a running back. What appears to be most likely is that the Cowboys will use a mid-round pick to on a running back.

A lot can happen between now and March, the start of free agency. But before the offseason begins this is what Jones, the owner, is envisioning.
------------

:window
How many are encouraged by this?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So fed up with this team anyhow. I will come on the board and converse but the days of the NFL running my Sundays are done for the time being.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So fed up with this team anyhow. I will come on the board and converse but the days of the NFL running my Sundays are done for the time being.
I am still a fan of the game even if Dallas is already flushed.

townsend

Banned
The game is bad though. Compared to years past, it's just ugly. I remember in 2012 when replacement refs ruined that Seattle/GreenBay ending. It broke the NFL's backs and made them give in. Now we have one of those kinds of shitty calls ruin a game every week.

I think we're seeing the effect of limited practicing too. NFL players (particularly QBs) are becoming grossly inconsistent and injury prone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we're seeing the effect of limited practicing too. NFL players (particularly QBs) are becoming grossly inconsistent and injury prone.
This is killing the game. Without question it's responsible for more injuries.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They can't even decide what is a catch without a flow chart. The Ketchup/Mustard nonsense from the other night shows that uniforms are more important than they should be.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh. I just don't see the quality football anymore. Dallas has had .500 or so for a while, but the league overall is just tepid now.

shane

DCC 4Life
Eh. I just don't see the quality football anymore. Dallas has had .500 or so for a while, but the league overall is just tepid now.
Parity has ruined the game IMO. Bad reffing doesn't help, but that is a problem in every sport across the board.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Probably true to degree. I think however, when the season is over and the draft gets go8ng everyone will 0it on their GM hat and do( in again. It likely will not seme tepid then.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The NFL just sucks- period- these days. Instead of great players making great plays on both sides of the ball to win a game, more often that not its a phantom flag or a WTF call that decides a game. Call me old, call me whatever but thats not the kind of football I played or desire to watch.

No one can breathe on the QB, you can't hit anyone, and WR's are allowed to run free thru the defense with no fear of being crushed OR played straight up by a DB. Ticky tack calls litter an NFL game in todays world, and there isn't any accountability for the refs that fuck it up every Sunday.

The Cowboys, as long as Jones is breathing, will never rivet me to the couch on Sundays and they haven't for a long time. Jones is nothing but a huckster, and the ignorance and ego gets in the way of fielding a competitive team on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yup, that's the change a made about 2 years ago.

I usually only come into the game day threads during a Cowboys game, and even then, I don't always post from start to finish.

I remember football being an all Sunday thing for me, but it's just not like that anymore. As the Cowboys have fallen, so has my overall interest in the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, that's the change a made about 2 years ago.

I usually only come into the game day threads during a Cowboys game, and even then, I don't always post from start to finish.

I remember football being an all Sunday thing for me, but it's just not like that anymore. As the Cowboys have fallen, so has my overall interest in the game.
I watched, lived and died and was consumed on Sundays even through the Campo years. The NFL is just becoming unwatchable for me though. Officiating is just such a joke and so overwhelming that i can't watch it. Some teams get away with pick plays every play while others try and do it and get called every time. Some teams DBs beat the shit out of WRs throughout their route and get away with it, while others get penalized every time.

This isn't specific to the Cowboys, I just don't enjoy watching games like I do college football for example.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even the Campo Cowboys were close enough to the glory years to excuse them as some pathetic slump.

This? This is a grotesque circus that the best you can ever hope for is a year like last year. Sucks the life out of you when the rest of the league is mediocre as well.

Top Bottom