2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The hate spewed from the left towards anyone who they dislike or think differently than has reached a fever pitch, but it's been spewed for many years now.

And we're talking literal hate, just flat out vilifying vitriolic demonization.

And it needs to stop. It's - by far - the most divisive aspect of our society.

Like it or not, the man won the fucking presidency, morons.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
The hate spewed from the left towards anyone who they dislike or think differently than has reached a fever pitch, but it's been spewed for many years now.

And we're talking literal hate, just flat out vilifying vitriolic demonization.

And it needs to stop. It's - by far - the most divisive aspect of our society.

Like it or not, the man won the fucking presidency, morons.
The worst of it has been the use of the organs of culture to marginalize people with traditional views of morality. I think a lot of this backlash (ironic) is from people who have been in the echo chamber so long that the success of any figure they disagree with just doesn't compute.

I do think that there is a growing contingent of anarchists using social unrest as an opportunity to cause mayhem, though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No, it isn't. It's that thought that won't allow this shit to ever stop. These guys need to be dealt with by the law, and severely. Not by a vigilante group that is pissed off. Because once that happens, then another group of pissed off people form to deal with this group. And on, and on, and on.
I'm not talking vigilante group retaliation. I'm talking law enforcement.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not talking vigilante group retaliation. I'm talking law enforcement.
That's not what you said at all. You said retaliatory violence would be appropriate. And that has nothing to do with actual LAWFUL law enforcement.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:doh

Dude, you do know that the power to report someone illegal has been in place for years, right?

This isn't just a thing now that Trump is becoming president.

Is it a shitty thing to do? Of course, but it's not exclusive to Trump or his administration.

And again, it was just a joke and as a person with illegal family members in this country, even I thought it was funny.

Lighten up.
The power has been there but the sentiment and tacit approval has not been there as well.

You can take it the way you want I don't think it was particularly funny and it's not like I am pc or anything.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You apparently think that this is Trump sponsored or sanctioned. These people have been practicing hatred for a long time and their target is always the same. They are just using the election outcome as an excuse to create mayhem just like the protesters on the other side are doing.
I can't speak for Jiggy, but it's still an issue and it's something that Trump needs to denounce. Whether he sponsored or sanctioned this (which he did not) has no bearing on the action that he needs to take towards acts like these.

Here's the problem:

Trump's supporters will tell you that immigrants and minorities, members of the LBGT community, and even Muslims are all overreacting over his election. That they are being dramatic when they suggest that their impending doom is upon them. Maybe that's true, but you also can't expect people to not be given an impression along those lines when he comes out and makes the types of comments that he's made during his campaign. But the real issue here that even Trump's supporters have to recognize is that the KKK doing marches and having celebrations after Trump's victory is an example of how it wasn't just his detractors and members of the aforementioned communities who came away with those impressions, it is also a handful of his supporters who came away with those same impressions too.

How else do you explain the KKK feeling that his victory is something worth marching over? Or how about some of the other displays of racism and verbal attacks on all of the communities I mentioned above? You're seeing statements from the KKK, random acts of racist graffiti, and a number of social media examples of things just like this from people who either voted for Trump or wanted Trump to win.

Does that mean that all of Trump's supporters are racists, bigots, and homophobic? Of course not, but it is alarming that some of his supporters are and he has a responsibility to denounce those acts and distance himself from these idiots because apparently, his behavior and comments during his campaign was enough to give people from all walks a life the impression that he was against those groups and communities.

It's one thing if it's just his detractors, but if even his supporters believe it, then he must come out and clarify his stance and explain where it is he stands so he can kill this thing before it has a chance to grow and get uglier.

The message needs to be that he does not condone these acts and that he is in support of all American citizens regardless of gender or ethnicity.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The one I saw was about 6 individuals apparently dragged him out of the car and began a gang beating exercise on him. I didn't see the actual begging get or end because I was doing something but I saw enough to become totally outraged. I'm still angry when I think about it.. this is completely unacceptable and retailant violence is appropriate.
So you have no idea of how that incident actually started.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You apparently think that this is Trump sponsored or sanctioned. These people have been practicing hatred for a long time and their target is always the same. They are just using the election outcome as an excuse to create mayhem just like the protesters on the other side are doing.
Talk about putting words in people mouth.

There is no bounds to your hypocrisy.

So tell me why are they so emboldened and giving Trump so much credit?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I can't speak for Jiggy, but it's still an issue and it's something that Trump needs to denounce. Whether he sponsored or sanctioned this (which he did not) has no bearing on the action that he needs to take towards acts like these.

Here's the problem:

Trump's supporters will tell you that immigrants and minorities, members of the LBGT community, and even Muslims are all overreacting over his election. That they are being dramatic when they suggest that their impending doom is upon them. Maybe that's true, but you also can't expect people to not be given an impression along those lines when he comes out and makes the types of comments that he's made during his campaign. But the real issue here that even Trump's supporters have to recognize is that the KKK doing marches and having celebrations after Trump's victory is an example of how it wasn't just his detractors and members of the aforementioned communities who came away with those impressions, it is also a handful of his supporters who came away with those same impressions too.

How else do you explain the KKK feeling that his victory is something worth marching over? Or how about some of the other displays of racism and verbal attacks on all of the communities I mentioned above? You're seeing statements from the KKK, random acts of racist graffiti, and a number of social media examples of things just like this from people who either voted for Trump or wanted Trump to win.

Does that mean that all of Trump's supporters are racists, bigots, and homophobic? Of course not, but it is alarming that some of his supporters are and he has a responsibility to denounce those acts and distance himself from these idiots because apparently, his behavior and comments during his campaign was enough to give people from all walks a life the impression that he was against those groups and communities.

It's one thing if it's just his detractors, but if even his supporters believe it, then he must come out and clarify his stance and explain where it is he stands so he can kill this thing before it has a chance to grow and get uglier.

The message needs to be that he does not condone these acts and that he is in support of all American citizens regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Well said and I agree completely.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He definitely has a responsibility to come out and say this, even if he doesn't really mean it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Because they too came away with the impression that (and I'm just paraphrasing here) he thinks minorities are lesser than whites and he's going to try to return America to a place where it's white citizens are favored above all others.

So what you have is two sets of people saying and believing the same thing but expressing it in a different way:

Detractor: Donald Trump is a racist bigot!

Supporter: He's bringing back a white America!

Two different expressions, but the same theory being implied.

If that is not where he stands and that is not what he believes in, then he has to denounce these acts and make it clear where he stands. If he doesn't, it just leads to more wild accusations and impressions from people on both ends of the fence.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Michigan and Pennsylvania are shocking. And, NH, TBH.
You don't know PA very well. Aside from Philly and it's suburbs, Centre County (Penn State), and Pittsburgh, the rest of the state is about as backwards as rural Alabama. Lots of rebel flags redneck hillbillies in Pennsyltucky.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Talk about putting words in people mouth.

There is no bounds to your hypocrisy.

Jibber jabber.by your rationale the NAACP is responsible for the rioting and violence. You are so hate driven.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because they too came away with the impression that (and I'm just paraphrasing here) he thinks minorities are lesser than whites and he's going to try to return America to a place where it's white citizens are favored above all others.

So what you have is two sets of people saying and believing the same thing but expressing it in a different way:

Detractor: Donald Trump is a racist bigot!

Supporter: He's bringing back a white America!

Two different expressions, but the same theory being implied.

If that is not where he stands and that is not what he believes in, then he has to denounce these acts and make it clear where he stands. If he doesn't, it just leads to more wild accusations and impressions from people on both ends of the fence.
Are you saying that Trump sponsors and condones this crap just because a supporter or detractor makes a statement?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Are you saying that Trump sponsors and condones this crap?
He is saying that he needs to come out on record and definitively say he does not condone it. It is really simple. His campaign finally did so with the KKK recently but it needs to be a broader statement and probably to be reiterated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom