Archer: With OL retooled, Cowboys look to fix DL

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
With OL retooled, Cowboys look to fix DL
June, 11, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The look of the Dallas Cowboys’ offensive line has changed dramatically over the last three seasons.

In 2011, the Cowboys started the process of tearing down the line, moving on from Marc Colombo, Leonard Davis and Andre Gurode. In 2012, they replaced Kyle Kosier.

But in stripping down the line, the Cowboys didn’t have ready-made replacements, with the exception of Tyron Smith, who was their first-round pick in 2011. Bill Nagy was an undersized guard and seventh-round pick. He started four games before getting hurt. The Cowboys recalled Montrae Holland to the roster and started him for 10 games. They relied on Derrick Dockery as well. At center, they went with undersized Phil Costa, who was undrafted in 2010. Kevin Kowalski, another undrafted player in 2011, was a key reserve.

This spring the Cowboys have a line with three first-round picks in Smith, now at left tackle, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin. Doug Free is the only holdover, moving from left tackle to right tackle.

This offseason the Cowboys have stripped down the defensive line. A year ago at this time, Jerry Jones called it the strength of the team. DeMarcus Ware is now with the Denver Broncos. Jason Hatcher is with the Washington Redskins. Jay Ratliff is with the Chicago Bears. Anthony Spencer is coming back from microfracture knee surgery.

“There is an analogy there,” coach Jason Garrett said. “A lot of veteran players, who were really good, of the same generation, and you have to transition. You have to get younger.”

Like the offensive line, the Cowboys didn’t have any ready-made replacements on the defensive line. Instead of going with late-round or undrafted players, the Cowboys are going with low-cost veterans with questions about health, consistency or both.

They added Henry Melton, Jeremy Mincey, Terrell McClain and Amobi Okoye in free agency. They kept Spencer on a one-year deal for short money. They drafted DeMarcus Lawrence in the second round and Ben Gardner and Ken Bishop in the seventh round.

“Defensive line is one of those positions you can’t have enough of those guys,” Garrett said. “Some of the best teams I’ve been around, some of the best teams we’ve completed against seem to have a boatload of these defensive linemen constantly coming at you … We’ve just got to keep them coming.”

Rebuilding is not one of George Carlin’s seven dirty words, but it sure can be viewed that way at Valley Ranch. The preferred word is retooling. The Cowboys have retooled the offensive line. They are in the process of retooling the defensive line.

There might be a question of quality, but there is no question of quantity.

“The best defensive lines I’ve been around are the ones that have ‘wave’ players,” Garrett said. “If you think back to the 90s when this team was winning Super Bowls there were eight legit defensive linemen rotating through games. Jim Jeffcoat playing 12 plays in a game. It’s ridiculous.”

Garrett went on to mention Leon Lett, Chad Hennings, Jimmie Jones, Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, Tony Casillas and Russell Maryland.

“If you can have some of those guys play 30 snaps instead of 60 snaps or 15 snaps instead of 30 snaps, you’re going to be so much better,” Garrett said.

Nick Hayden played a defensive-line high 821 snaps in 2013 after being unemployed in 2012. Hatcher played 747 in 15 games. George Selvie, who was signed during training camp, played 744. Six of his seven sacks came in the first nine games.

“We played a lot of snaps last year,” Selvie said. “Where the rotation helps is everybody can stay fresh. The new guys coming in, it will help a lot. It was rough by the end of the year. We were hurting. A lot of snaps like that takes a toll on your body.”

To carry out the offensive line analogy, Lawrence can be viewed like Smith, a premium pick at a premium spot. And the job is hardly close to being over. Melton, Okoye, Spencer, Selvie and Hayden all could be on one-year deals. Mincey signed a two-year deal. McClain is on a three-year deal.

“The games are won and lost up front and always will be lost up front,” Garrett said. “If you don’t have good offensive and defensive linemen your skill guys can’t do what they need to do. So we’ve tried to do that. We’ve kind of tried to restructure our fronts over the last few years and build the team the right way.”

The retooling is in its infant stages, like the offensive line in 2011. The Cowboys have to replenish the defensive line in 2015 and beyond with more premium picks the way they have the offensive line.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

And then what...you get the OL and DL retooled, and have a 36 year old QB on the downslide?

This is where the "Great GM" Jerry Jones is a moron....not drafting ANYONE at QB to replace Romo, even if its a 4th or 5th rounder that has some potential in the draft. By the time Jerry sees that Romo is toast, and drafts another QB, all this OL and DL retooling might be for naught.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This franchise is the epitome of being reactive instead of proactive.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This franchise is the epitome of being reactive instead of proactive.
Yea, that's because they're a bunch of overly optimistic fools who are happy to stick their head in the sand and bank on a hope and a prayer until a situation becomes so dire that even a small squirrel can see that something must be done.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Good news is that there seems to be some decent D Line talent in next year's draft class.

Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Shillique Calhoun, Mario Edwards Jr., Michael Bennett, Shawn Oakman, Ellis McCarthy, Arik Armstead...

Too bad we will need almost every position on Defense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This DL and LB corps hasn't been anything close to "retooled" yet.

The 34 year old QB is a necessity by performance and contract. In a short-term league, he can be replaced with a 1st round draft pick anytime in 2015-2017 depending on his performance and health. Dick around with a 4th or 5th round pick and you're just throwing away reps developing someone else's backup.

Peyton Manning is four years older than Romo and came off neck surgery to throw 92 touchdowns in the last two years. QB's who know their craft and don't rely on crazy arm strength can play well into their late 30's.

Grooming the QB successor right now while Romo's still on his game is wasteful. No one can afford to do that anymore, especially a below average drafting team like Dallas.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This DL and LB corps hasn't been anything close to "retooled" yet.
This will be re-iterated all season long I'm afraid. But then again, it can't get worse. So that means there's hope.
Just not alot. This year is a baby step to fixing the defense.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This will be re-iterated all season long I'm afraid. But then again, it can't get worse. So that means there's hope.
Just not alot. This year is a baby step to fixing the defense.
It is funny though how they kind of paralleled what they did on offense. Dump everyone and start with a high draft pick.

Unfortunately that high pick is nowhere near Tyron Smith's league. We're looking at Bruce Irvin II.

Sigh. Rotate 15.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Grooming the QB successor right now while Romo's still on his game is wasteful. No one can afford to do that anymore, especially a below average drafting team like Dallas.
Worked out pretty well for the Packers.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It is funny though how they kind of paralleled what they did on offense. Dump everyone and start with a high draft pick.

Unfortunately that high pick is nowhere near Tyron Smith's league. We're looking at Bruce Irvin II.

Sigh. Rotate 15.
Bruce Irvin is a knucklehead who lost his spot in the team's plans when he was suspended for PEDs, and he's smaller than Lawrence. I don't get the comparison.

UncleMilti

Staff member
The 34 year old QB is a necessity by performance and contract. In a short-term league, he can be replaced with a 1st round draft pick anytime in 2015-2017 depending on his performance and health. Dick around with a 4th or 5th round pick and you're just throwing away reps developing someone else's backup.

Peyton Manning is four years older than Romo and came off neck surgery to throw 92 touchdowns in the last two years. QB's who know their craft and don't rely on crazy arm strength can play well into their late 30's.

You and Jerruh are assuming that Romo comes back and indeed picks up where he left off- which I think is very shortsighted of Jerry and Co.

I'd much rather see them take a flyer on a late 1st round QB that could learn behind Romo, even if only for a year. At some point, this team has to have a viable solution at QB to take advantage of the roster in place.

Drafting numbnuts like McGee is a total waste of a roster spot. The project QB/Romo will play till he's 40 mentality that Jones possesses is going to be the death blow to this team when Romo is laid up 2 years before the "grand plan" is supposed to be over with.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You and Jerruh are assuming that Romo comes back and indeed picks up where he left off- which I think is very shortsighted of Jerry and Co.

I'd much rather see them take a flyer on a late 1st round QB that could learn behind Romo, even if only for a year. At some point, this team has to have a viable solution at QB to take advantage of the roster in place.

Drafting numbnuts like McGee is a total waste of a roster spot. The project QB/Romo will play till he's 40 mentality that Jones possesses is going to be the death blow to this team when Romo is laid up 2 years before the "grand plan" is supposed to be over with.
I think we're on the same page: i.e. general frustration. We've had a fantastic QB who while clearly not perfect and may no longer be able to produce at the levels to which we have become accustomed was RARELY supported in the trenches and in the running game while he was here and performing at a high level.

The 4th round QB who miraculously "makes it" is a bullshit fantasy. That's proven by fact, unless you want to keep digging up Brady from FIFTEEN fucking drafts ago.

And make no mistake-- you can't take a 1st round "flier" on *anyone*. 1st round picks MUST PLAY, and soon. That couldn't have happened in Dallas this year, not with Romo chewing up 20+ million in cap space. Next year or 2016, maybe, but not 2014.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I think we're on the same page: i.e. general frustration. We've had a fantastic QB who while clearly not perfect and may no longer be able to produce at the levels to which we have become accustomed was RARELY supported in the trenches and in the running game while he was here and performing at a high level.

The 4th round QB who miraculously "makes it" is a bullshit fantasy. That's proven by fact, unless you want to keep digging up Brady from FIFTEEN fucking drafts ago.

And make no mistake-- you can't take a 1st round "flier" on *anyone*. 1st round picks MUST PLAY, and soon. That couldn't have happened in Dallas this year, not with Romo chewing up 20+ million in cap space. Next year or 2016, maybe, but not 2014.
Of course it could have happened this year, it's not like we're anywhere close to a championship team

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Of course it could have happened this year, it's not like we're anywhere close to a championship team
It's not like there was a clear Hall of Fame talent sitting there at 16, which is what it would have taken for the front office to take a bath in dead money cutting Romo in early 2015.

You could have flipped the order in which the QB's were taken in this year's 1st round and no one would have batted an eye. That tells you none of the prospects are slam dunks and all have question marks.

2004's class of Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, and Big Ben-- now *that* was a group worth trashing your cap for.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our current QB was available in the fourth round.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
True, but do you see the kind of culture on the sidelines to nurture a project properly? Parcells, Payton, and Lee protected Tony Romo for three full years shielding him through all the Jerry-crazy with Hutchinson, Carter, and Drew Henson.

In today's NFL, undrafted success stories at QB -- Warner and Romo -- are nothing short of miraculous. There were strange circumstances that allowed both to succeed (NFL Europe and Hall of Fame coaching respectively).

Counting on miracles to happen is a kind of insane approach, especially with no way of grooming the talent.

No. I'd rather spend my 4th round pick on any other starting-22 position.

UncleMilti

Staff member
True, but do you see the kind of culture on the sidelines to nurture a project properly? Parcells, Payton, and Lee protected Tony Romo for three full years shielding him through all the Jerry-crazy with Hutchinson, Carter, and Drew Henson.

In today's NFL, undrafted success stories at QB -- Warner and Romo -- are nothing short of miraculous. There were strange circumstances that allowed both to succeed (NFL Europe and Hall of Fame coaching respectively).

Counting on miracles to happen is a kind of insane approach, especially with no way of grooming the talent.

No. I'd rather spend my 4th round pick on any other starting-22 position.
Your idea is novel, but your GM views 3rd and 4th rounders as throw away picks anyways. I'd rather take a chance on a QB than another frikkin special teamer.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Good point. And Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder.

Decent QB's can be found in later rounds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Your idea is novel, but your GM views 3rd and 4th rounders as throw away picks anyways. I'd rather take a chance on a QB than another frikkin special teamer.
Ayuh.

Top Bottom