Ware Watch 2014

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
DeMarcus Ware thanks Cowboys
March, 12, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In meeting with the media after signing a three-year deal with the Denver Broncos, DeMarcus Ware opened his news conference with words of thanks to Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones and his first coach, Bill Parcells.

"To Mr. Jones for gracefully letting me go out in the market and let me choose where I can finish my career at, I want to thank him for that,” Ware said. “And I want to wish my former teammates, coaches and just the Cowboys good luck in their season.”

Ware was cut by the Cowboys on Tuesday and found a home in Denver less than 12 hours later to the tune of a three-year deal, with $20 million guaranteed.

The Cowboys were set to pay Ware $12.75 million. He will make $13 million from the Broncos this year.

In nine seasons, Ware became the Cowboys' all-time leader in sacks with 117. He was named to the Pro Bowl seven times. Last year, however, he missed the first three games of his career and was held to six sacks.

The Cowboys were determined to move on from Ware, who turns 32 in July. The Broncos were happy to embrace him.

"We know how much more football he has in him," Broncos executive John Elway said.
Bet that was hard to say without laughing

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ware is the anti-Christ?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And this is why Ware wouldn't take a pay cut.

This just in - he's still a very good player. We were dumb to cut him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And this is why Ware wouldn't take a pay cut.

This just in - he's still a very good player. We were dumb to cut him.
Ware and his agent probably were feeling around well before the season ended, especially when the news hit we would be approaching him about a pay cut.

Then Ware says he'd be okay with it, gave a maybe. Then the agent told him to STFU.

Then Jones comes out with his inaccurate and frankly insulting commentary at the Combine that Ware has "barely played the last two years". Nevermind we have complete turds on this roster that have had two year exemptions.

In short, Jerry got played.

Big Ben.

Parliament.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sorry, not convinced Ware is still a great player. Maybe he blows up in Den, but the last two years have not been great. I realize he was dinged up, but is that just a hiccup or a guy who is declining health wise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sorry, not convinced Ware is still a great player. Maybe he blows up in Den, but the last two years have not been great. I realize he was dinged up, but is that just a hiccup or a guy who is declining health wise.
I really want to go to the archives with your stance on Ware, but I am too lazy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Ware was here does this team win a Super Bowl? No. Mincy is not his replacement, he is just a guy in a rotation. Not convinced our next pass rusher would be this team with Ware here...now we have to find somebody. Whether Jerry can do that...not enthused, but at least the process starts.

Genghis Khan

People keep saying it's been two years. Last year, yeah he was slowed by injuries. The year before he had 11.5 sacks. We'd be jizzing in our pants if we signed an 11.5 sack guy.

So we just dumped a guy with All-decade type production because he missed game for the first time in his career and had one down year.

For nothing. Zero compensation, zero replacement.

We get to save some cap space. That we will use in an attempt to replace him. With a likely lesser player.

I can't get behind that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
People keep saying it's been two years. Last year, yeah he was slowed by injuries. The year before he had 11.5 sacks. We'd be jizzing in our pants if we signed an 11.5 sack guy.

So we just dumped a guy with All-decade type production because he missed game for the first time in his career and had one down year.

We get to save some cap space. That we will use in an attempt to replace him. With a likely lesser player.

I can't get behind that.
$2M of that 9 went to Mincey.

You are welcome.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have to start over on the DL...Ware hurts that, doesn't help that.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I can't get behind that.
What was he going to help this team win? Even if he had one more great year left in him?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To be honest fixing the DL was never going to happen through free agency, the only way it is, or ever was going to happen is through the draft. The best we can hope for through free agency are a couple guys who could be solid depth/spot start and then a guy like Melton.

Genghis Khan

What was he going to help this team win? Even if he had one more great year left in him?

They aren't dismantling everything andstarting over. That's not why they did this.

So it comes down to, they are a worse team without him.

It would be one thing if they got a couple picks for him. Even a third and a fourth. Something.

Instead we have nothing to show for jettisoning a great player with good years left.

Follow the money. The market paid him like an elite player, not a declining has-been. He has good years left. And we're stuck trying to dial 1-800-passrush.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They aren't dismantling everything andstarting over. That's not why they did this.

So it comes down to, they are a worse team without him.

It would be one thing if they got a couple picks for him. Even a third and a fourth. Something.

Instead we have nothing to show for jettisoning a great player with good years left.

Follow the money. The market paid him like an elite player, not a declining has-been. He has good years left. And we're stuck trying to dial 1-800-passrush.
A team fresh off a Super Bowl appearance paid him in hopes he might rebound and help the team over the hump.

This team needs to be blown up and rebuilt, and we'll need that cap space when it comes time to cut Romo and absorb his cap hit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
To be honest fixing the DL was never going to happen through free agency, the only way it is, or ever was going to happen is through the draft. The best we can hope for through free agency are a couple guys who could be solid depth/spot start and then a guy like Melton.
If we keep throwing away $2M on dorks like Mincey, there is no way any free agent DL worth a shit will take us seriously.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A team fresh off a Super Bowl appearance paid him in hopes he might rebound and help the team over the hump.

This team needs to be blown up and rebuilt, and we'll need that cap space when it comes time to cut Romo and absorb his cap hit.
If that is the case, do not do selective detonation.

Why is Carr still getting his full salary?

Oh yeah, shitty contracts.

This is not a philosophical change. This is simple necessity.

Genghis Khan

I don't disagree that this team needs to blow it up, but I'm saying they aren't doing that. They dumped Ware because they are worried that he had injury problems and an off year, and they didn't think they had money to fix the defense with his cap hit. This move was made because they think, with the money they are saving, they can field a better team this year without him.

Top Bottom