QB Controversy Thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Teams are figuring out how to limit Daks game. Shocker. I mean, this is the NFL. You either constantly improve or you stagnate.

Dak is learning this stuff as we go. The coaches have to come up with even more new wrinkles to make up for the QB's lack of experience. Each week minus Philadelphia is going to be a challenge from here on.

Tampa Bay is good. When they won in KC it got my attention. They are playing for their division and every conference game counts. Like Seattle, Atlanta has three cake games to finish the year, so this game may decide everything for the Bucs.

If Dak handles everything the Bucs throw at him and brings the scoring back around 30, I'll breathe a sigh of relief and feel confident moving forward.

If we struggle, I'm going to be looking at a healthy Romo on the sidelines wondering what the Hell we're doing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What happened to the read option? I don't seem to recall us doing that much in the last few games. That was something that really seemed to set our offense apart. Maybe they have run it and I missed it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm ready for the team to get home where they are most comfortable in my opinion. We all knew we would lose again this season eventually. Suck it up and win the next two games now and clinch this thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What happened to the read option? I don't seem to recall us doing that much in the last few games. That was something that really seemed to set our offense apart. Maybe they have run it and I missed it?
We ran it a couple times against the Giants.

The biggest problem in that game was the weather though. Neither team could push the ball downfield for a very good reason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What is factual about Romo?

Barely played in two years. Fact.

Looked pedestrian when he did. Fact.
Yeah but I am not calling you delusional for believing that.

The "fact" is that the Romo supporters pointed to this type of bomb as being a big possibility at a bad time with Prescott; right now they are indeed a bit vindicated and the people who said it was "absurd" to believe Romo could be better look a little foolish.

The "fact" is that there are very good reasons that both sides have. All either side has is speculation. We can argue over which we think offers the better bet, but we should remind ourselves that no one is "right" and it also may be the case that both QBs are good enough, or neither is.

townsend

Banned
Pretty sweet how the Dak apologists have nothing to go on this week other than "But you are delusional if you want Romo back!"

No facts? Just yell louder.
What's there to say 11-2. 102.7 QB rating. 5 rushing TDs, 20 TD passes only 4 int. Romo through 7 picks in 4 games last year, has had two severe injuries since the last time he's taken a regular season snap.

Would you like for me to explain why we shouldn't try to get Troy Aikman back under center?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm ready for the team to get home where they are most comfortable in my opinion. We all knew we would lose again this season eventually. Suck it up and win the next two games now and clinch this thing.
It's not about losing or one loss. It's how they look and specifically how the key players look.

If they're just sloppy and give the game away that wouldn't really bother me; they can clean that up and be fine.

But a dazed and confused QB who looks like he has no answers for what the defense is throwing at him two weeks in a row? That's disconcerting.

I do think more and more there's a focus issue. You see players playing in the snow before the game. Lucky Whitehead missing meetings because he was out partying the night before. TMZ running stories about star players at clubs. Supposedly it's become become enough of an issue that Garrett addressed the team about its focus last Friday. A lot of that is probably youth, but therein lies the crux of the issue. We are relying on the maturity, both on and off the field, of a lot of young players.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's not about losing or one loss. It's how they look and specifically how the key players look.

If they're just sloppy and give the game away that wouldn't really bother me; they can clean that up and be fine.

But a dazed and confused QB who looks like he has no answers for what the defense is throwing at him two weeks in a row? That's disconcerting.

I do think more and more there's a focus issue. You see players playing in the snow before the game. Lucky Whitehead missing meetings because he was out partying the night before. TMZ running stories about star players at clubs. Supposedly it's become become enough of an issue that Garrett addressed the team about its focus last Friday. A lot of that is probably youth, but therein lies the crux of the issue. We are relying on the maturity, both on and off the field, of a lot of young players.
You also have to wonder about them getting off schedule on that 10 day break.

Once your routine becomes disrupted its easy to slack off a bit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Btw, I think we will DESTROY Tampa this week. And I rarely say stuff like that, but I think the signs point in that direction.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Teams are figuring out how to limit Daks game. Shocker. I mean, this is the NFL. You either constantly improve or you stagnate.

Dak is learning this stuff as we go. The coaches have to come up with even more new wrinkles to make up for the QB's lack of experience. Each week minus Philadelphia is going to be a challenge from here on.

Tampa Bay is good. When they won in KC it got my attention. They are playing for their division and every conference game counts. Like Seattle, Atlanta has three cake games to finish the year, so this game may decide everything for the Bucs.

If Dak handles everything the Bucs throw at him and brings the scoring back around 30, I'll breathe a sigh of relief and feel confident moving forward.

If we struggle, I'm going to be looking at a healthy Romo on the sidelines wondering what the Hell we're doing.
This.

I can come up with reasonable excuses for Prescott over the last two. First, he's a rookie, so there's bound to be bumps in the road, second, Minnesota is a top defense that was playing for their playoff lives at home, while we were coming off a difficult stretch that included playing a very physical Ravens defense just 10 days prior. Third, the Giants are also a very good defense who were playing at home for their playoff lives, not to mention the weather which obviously had a huge impact on the game, and arguably Prescott's psyche as I don't think he's ever really played a true cold weather game in college or the NFL.

I also can't blame Prescott, or the team in general, for getting a little complacent after winning 11 in a row, including a game they probably should've lost against Minnesota which probably only added to the complacency. No matter what these guys tell themselves, and I'm sure they thought they were as focused as ever, when things come that easy you get complacent, especially when you're young.

This game is different though, it's at home, there are no mitigating circumstances as far as playing on the road or in weather, they're coming off two poor offensive performances, one of which was a loss, and while Tampa has a good defense, I don't think it's as formidable as Minnesota's or New York's, and especially not when we get them at home.

If Prescott comes out and plays like he did over the last two, that's when I have to seriously start thinking about Romo against Detroit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
This.

I can come up with reasonable excuses for Prescott over the last two. First, he's a rookie, so there's bound to be bumps in the road, second, Minnesota is a top defense that was playing for their playoff lives at home, while we were coming off a difficult stretch that included playing a very physical Ravens defense just 10 days prior. Third, the Giants are also a very good defense who were playing at home for their playoff lives, not to mention the weather which obviously had a huge impact on the game, and arguably Prescott's psyche as I don't think he's ever really played a true cold weather game in college or the NFL.

I also can't blame Prescott, or the team in general, for getting a little complacent after winning 11 in a row, including a game they probably should've lost against Minnesota which probably only added to the complacency. No matter what these guys tell themselves, and I'm sure they thought they were as focused as ever, when things come that easy you get complacent, especially when you're young.

This game is different though, it's at home, there are no mitigating circumstances as far as playing on the road or in weather, they're coming off two poor offensive performances, one of which was a loss, and while Tampa has a good defense, I don't think it's as formidable as Minnesota's or New York's, and especially not when we get them at home.

If Prescott comes out and plays like he did over the last two, that's when I have to seriously start thinking about Romo against Detroit.
Yep, that about sums it up.

townsend

Banned
Was anyone stumping for Bledsoe, when Romo started to have some poor performances in 06? He had actually taken a team to the SB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nick Foles, RG III, Colin Kaepernick, Dak Prescott.
This comparison is completely idiotic and basically only comes from trolls or people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Griffin and Kaepernick were both gimmick QB's who enjoyed the vast majority of their success based on the year or two that the read option was actually a viable base offense. Another mitigating factor is that Kaepernick played under Harbaugh who is a god damn QB genius. He took Alex Smith to within an OT of the Super Bowl then the very next year got within 5 yards of winning it all with Kaepernick, not to mention that he got them back to the NFCC the year after that and came within about 20 yards of knocking off Seattle, in Seattle, when they were at their peak.

Prescott is barely running any read option and who here thinks Garrett/Linehan could accomplish what Harbaugh did with QB's like Kaepernick and Smith?

Never in a million years.

Foles might be the best comparison because his success wasn't based on running 5-10 times a game like was the case with Griffin and Kaepernick, but even he had the benefit of playing in Chip Kelly's offense which hadn't yet been figured out by the NFL.

Long story short, those other three were in offenses that were in large part smoke and mirror, read option type of stuff that got figured out in a year or two. Prescott has primarily been making plays in a mostly traditional passing attack, albeit with the luxury of our OL and running game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Was anyone stumping for Bledsoe, when Romo started to have some poor performances in 06? He had actually taken a team to the SB.
Not an apt comparison.

Everybody knew Bledsoe was done because he was average at best during all of 2005 and however long he played in 2006, not to mention the previous 10 years.

Romo on the other hand was an MVP candidate his last somewhat healthy season and everything since then has been marred by injuries. Yes, he played like shit against Carolina last year and wasn't great against Miami, but he also wasn't 100% as he obviously came back early.

Top Bottom