DMN: Will RB Darius Jackson find a spot in Cowboys' crowded running backs' room?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Will RB Darius Jackson find a spot in Cowboys' crowded running backs' room?

By Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer

ARLINGTON -- Rookie running back Darius Jackson scored a touchdown on a screen pass and got touches on runs and kickoff returns Thursday night.

Does he think that will be enough to earn a roster spot considering the Cowboys' crowded running backs' room?

"That's up to them I guess, huh?" said Jackson, a sixth-round pick out of Eastern Michigan. "I went out there and I played my game. And I guess that's up to them to determine if I showed enough to be part of the 2016 Dallas Cowboys."

Jackson rushed nine times for 21 yards. He had two kickoff returns for 44 yards. He took a screen pass from Jameill Showers in for an 18-yard score on the Cowboys' second drive of the game.

"He came up to me, we were pumped," Jackson said of Showers. "I couldn't tell you what we said. We were obviously hyped up. He performed well. He looked tense before the game. I was like, 'Let's go out there and just play.' We both settled in and took it from there."

Jackson said that he has been able to feel less pressure because the Cowboys drafted him into this situation. He knows what he's facing. Dallas already has first-round pick Ezekiel Elliott, not to mention free agency addition Alfred Morris, last year's leading rusher Darren McFadden and change-of-pace-back Lance Dunbar.

"Can't be too much pressure if they drafted me to come here," Jackson said. "I'm certainly glad they did. ...Coming out here and playing football, I'm doing what I've done my whole life. We'll see how it goes. I'm excited."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep Jackson. To me he catches the ball and has great speed in the open field. Sort of diminishes any reason to keep Dunbar since Jackson is capable of actually running the ball from the RB position. I'd keep 3 RBs and it would be Elliott, Morris and Jackson. I'd trade McFadden or leave him on PUP. Dunbar I would let walk but for some god damn reason our coaches think he is the most electrifying thing ever.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't know what else he could have done to earn a spot. He's exceeded expectations for a 6th round pick so if we are going to cut him now I don't know what the point of drafting him was.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know what else he could have done to earn a spot. He's exceeded expectations for a 6th round pick so if we are going to cut him now I don't know what the point of drafting him was.
Yea, I mean when we drafted him they already knew Elliott, Morris, McFadden and Dunbar were on the roster. If they weren't prepared to keep 5 why the hell draft him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, I mean when we drafted him they already knew Elliott, Morris, McFadden and Dunbar were on the roster. If they weren't prepared to keep 5 why the hell draft him?
Not only that but they had no idea at that time that McFadden would hurt himself like a dumbass. So if anything we have more of a need for Jackson now. I've never understood the concept of drafting someone that you know for a fact will not make your roster. If that's the case then just sign them as an UDFA. If another team thought highly enough to draft them then that team is likely going to pick them up when you try to put them on your practice squad anyway.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I thought Smith looked just as good if not better than Jackson, I was surprised with the burst he showed.

Jackson did show some good hands but overall I think he still falls in that Tanner, Gus Bus mode, nothing really special.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I thought Smith looked just as good if not better than Jackson, I was surprised with the burst he showed.

Jackson did show some good hands but overall I think he still falls in that Tanner, Gus Bus mode, nothing really special.
I agree.

Jackson is fine, if we keep him, great, if not and he gets claimed, I'm not really pissed aside from the fact that we idiotically used a draft pick on a guy we never realistically were going to keep considering the fact that our coaching staff is so fucking in love with Dunbar.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I disagree with you on Jackson. He has better vision, speed and hands then the Tanner, Gus Bus's of the world. Just much higher potential based on his size and athletic ability which those guys lacked.

But I do like Smith. I know we are likely to keep a FB and he has played there as well. Seems to make sense to keep him as the FB option. He is a little skinny for a FB but I'll take that over Keith Smith.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
it's maddening how they hang on to players like Dunbar for years that are always hurt and rarely contribute when they aren't all because they fall in love with measurables instead results.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I disagree with you on Jackson. He has better vision, speed and hands then the Tanner, Gus Bus's of the world. Just much higher potential based on his size and athletic ability which those guys lacked.

But I do like Smith. I know we are likely to keep a FB and he has played there as well. Seems to make sense to keep him as the FB option. He is a little skinny for a FB but I'll take that over Keith Smith.
I have no seen this great vision, Smith showed better vision last night.

I think Tanner looked much better as a runner and we all know how that turned out.

I think Jackson has some upside potential and would definitely keep him over Dunbar but I just have not seen anything wow about him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I also think Jackson was drafted as hedge against Morris not regaining his form and Dunbar not being healthy and I have no issue drafting him as that kind of insurance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no seen this great vision, Smith showed better vision last night.

I think Tanner looked much better as a runner and we all know how that turned out.

I think Jackson has some upside potential and would definitely keep him over Dunbar but I just have not seen anything wow about him.
I never said great vision, I said better vision then Tanner and Gus Bus. You may remember Tanner as the runningback who ran super hard but had absolutely no vision. He basically ran straight ahead and hit whoever he hit in the process. Gus Bus on the other hand was just slow.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I also think Jackson was drafted as hedge against Morris not regaining his form and Dunbar not being healthy and I have no issue drafting him as that kind of insurance.
I'd have a big issue with that. I don't think it's true though.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Dunbar gets no preseason carries and is a lock for the roster.
I wouldn't doubt it.

And if that happens, we can rest assured that this team will be as pitiful as always, and that Garrett is nothing but a talking "earn your way" puppet.

Uh. wait.....

:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I keep Jackson. To me he catches the ball and has great speed in the open field. Sort of diminishes any reason to keep Dunbar since Jackson is capable of actually running the ball from the RB position. I'd keep 3 RBs and it would be Elliott, Morris and Jackson. I'd trade McFadden or leave him on PUP. Dunbar I would let walk but for some god damn reason our coaches think he is the most electrifying thing ever.
His rushing average is pathetic. It is less than 2 ypc in the game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His rushing average is pathetic. It is less than 2 ypc in the game.
Yeah and it was over 6 against the Seahawks. I think you have to consider the blocking. I didn't watch last nights game though so I can't really speak to his overall performance in that game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I never said great vision, I said better vision then Tanner and Gus Bus. You may remember Tanner as the runningback who ran super hard but had absolutely no vision. He basically ran straight ahead and hit whoever he hit in the process. Gus Bus on the other hand was just slow.
That's pretty much what I have seen from Jackson.

Top Bottom