2016 Random Cowboys Related Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Would have happened no matter who was the owner. It was a goal of Johnson's and the timing was right on the Florida front. The dust up was a timely event for Job so to pull the trigger. It was inevitable. It's akin to the mantra that Jones fired Landry.
Nobody is saying he wasn't going to leave. Jones just made it sooner than it was going to be because of his own personal issues.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wait, we're supposed to believe that the guy who's been nothing but meddlesome and undermining to every coach he's ever had didn't accelerate the departure of Jimmy?

I mean, the man's track record speaks for itself.
Exactly. It's silly to even insinuate otherwise.

Cotton

Staff member
Would have happened no matter who was the owner. It was a goal of Johnson's and the timing was right on the Florida front. The dust up was a timely event for Job so to pull the trigger. It was inevitable. It's akin to the mantra that Jones fired Landry.
You forgot the word "eventually". Would have happened eventually no matter who was the owner.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nobody is saying he wasn't going to leave. Jones just made it sooner than it was going to be because of his own personal issues.
Possibly so but some folks think but for Jones, Johnson would still be here.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You forgot the word "eventually". Would have happened eventually no matter who was the owner.
It was more the Florida ambition than Jones mouth. Johnson baited the situation and it popped for him.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
It was more the Florida ambition than Jones mouth. Johnson baited the situation and it popped for him.
That's an opinion and speculation. There has been plenty of proof through history that Jones was an issue concerning Johnson.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, we're supposed to believe that the guy who's been nothing but meddlesome and undermining to every coach he's ever had didn't accelerate the departure of Jimmy?

I mean, the man's track record speaks for itself.
First of all who really gives a shit at this point?

But couldn't you say the same about Jimmy who never coached at any location for more then 5 years ever?

townsend

Banned

But couldn't you say the same about Jimmy who never coached at any location for more then 5 years ever?
Both Jerry and Jimmy had a chance to act out the same thing all over again. Jimmy went to Miami and got burned out even faster, likewise Jerry ripped the reins out of Parcell's hands after a couple of seasons.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

It's been 22 years. I'm way past that issue.

The only thing that bothers me now is the lack of checks and balances in the Cowboys' front office. No way in hell would the GM in Atlanta or Houston, for instance, take the personnel gambles that Jerry and co. take. Why? Because their jobs are at stake.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been 22 years. I'm way past that issue.

The only thing that bothers me now is the lack of checks and balances in the Cowboys' front office. No way in hell would the GM in Atlanta or Houston, for instance, take the personnel gambles that Jerry and co. take. Why? Because their jobs are at stake.
That is definitely true. Their is no fear of losing their job which creates a poor dynamic. The one advantage to that situation is that a GM should be able to look at this with more of a long term perspective because they don't have to worry about immediate results but that's never been Jerry's style. That man has never been able to see the big picture.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jimmy was on a shrinking timetable with Shula poised to retire. He was looking for almost any excuse to leave Dallas.

The "500 coaches" slight was the excuse he chose.

Had it been another owner he would have asked to be let out of his contract, but Jones had refused that outright (when the expansion Jags inquired), forcing Jimmy's hand.

No matter who his boss was, this was happening.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Have they announced who's playing/sitting for tomorrow night's game?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jimmy was on a shrinking timetable with Shula poised to retire. He was looking for almost any excuse to leave Dallas.

The "500 coaches" slight was the excuse he chose.

Had it been another owner he would have asked to be let out of his contract, but Jones had refused that outright (when the expansion Jags inquired), forcing Jimmy's hand.

No matter who his boss was, this was happening.
Think thats already been covered. Go back and read a bit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's an opinion and speculation. There has been plenty of proof through history that Jones was an issue concerning Johnson.
It's speculation that Johnson wanted South Florida? Seriously? Johnson not only wanted South Florida he specifically wanted to take over for Don Shula. There were times when he would actually let slip the words "my fins" in 1995 while he was working for Fox and Shula was still coaching!

Whatever his personal opinion of Jones, Jimmy never, ever had trouble getting Jerry to do exactly what he wanted. Jones provided rubber stamp approval for everything Jimmy requested.

if Jones was owner of the Dolphins instead of the Cowboys I'm sure Jimmy would have made do.

The one thing they disagreed publicly about in Dallas was Johnson's availability for coaching interviews. Jones denied the Jags request to interview Johnson, and it pissed Jimmy off. He replied through the media that he at least wanted to see the offer.

Jimmy knew Jerry was never going to let him leave Dallas, so he made it happen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's speculation that Johnson wanted South Florida? Seriously? Johnson not only wanted South Florida he specifically wanted to take over for Don Shula. There were times when he would actually let slip the words "my fins" in 1995 while he was working for Fox and Shula was still coaching!

Whatever his personal opinion of Jones, Jimmy never, ever had trouble getting Jerry to do exactly what he wanted. Jones provided rubber stamp approval for everything Jimmy requested.

if Jones was owner of the Dolphins instead of the Cowboys I'm sure Jimmy would have made do.

The one thing they disagreed publicly about in Dallas was Johnson's availability for coaching interviews. Jones denied the Jags request to interview Johnson, and it pissed Jimmy off. He replied through the media that he at least wanted to see the offer.

Jimmy knew Jerry was never going to let him leave Dallas, so he made it happen.
Most of us know this but some can't reconcile that Johnson was the primary instigator for his final days as the Cowboys coach.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Most of us know this but some can't reconcile that Johnson was the primary instigator for his final days as the Cowboys coach.
Without a doubt.

I remember the manipulation of Jones very clearly. Jerry's ginormous ego let Jimmy corner him onto one path: remove Johnson and win a Superbowl with Switzer.

Meanwhile Johnson walked away with a 2 million dollar payoff and the catbird's seat to pounce on Shula's retirement announcement.

Cotton

Staff member
Good lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom