Report: Cowboys OL Ronald Leary requests trade

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think a 4th is very possible especially if a team gets an injury during training camp.

Would not even trade him for a 6th,
I really can't find a trade similar to Leary for a 4th. Mankins went for a 4th and Tim Wright...about as close as I can find. He is coming off an injury plagued year and still has degenerative knee issues. I'd love a 4th...just not realistic.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You are way overrating the potential comp pick.

After a year sitting on Dallas' bench, he will not get a mega deal. Probably nets a sixth in a perfect scenario.
I disagree.

Jermey Parnell netted the Cowboys pick 38 in round 4 (Prescott) according to http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/01/dallas-cowboys-2016-projected-compensatory-draft-picks/

The 5 years 32 million with 14 million guaranteed deal Jermey signed two years ago will be much less than what Leary will sign for with the current salary cap.

Leary is better than Parnell. He's a starting OL, only guilty of not being as good as two number 1 draft pick caliber players ahead of him on the depth chart by the fluke of Collins being available.

Someone will pay well for his services.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jermey Parnell netted the Cowboys pick 38 in round 4 (Prescott) according to http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/01/dallas-cowboys-2016-projected-compensatory-draft-picks/

The 5 years 32 million with 14 million guaranteed deal Jermey signed two years ago will be much less than what Leary will sign for with the current salary cap.
Um, pretty sure Murray had something to do with our compensatory picks. The guy was the leading rusher in the NFL the prior season and all.

Additionally comp picks are all relative. Meaning that just because Parnell got paid less doesn't mean we get a better pick for a player who makes more. It all depends on how his contract falls compared to other players contracts. They also take performance into account.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I disagree.

Leary is better than Parnell. He's a starting OL, only guilty of not being as good as two number 1 draft pick caliber players ahead of him on the depth chart by the fluke of Collins being available.

You are leaving out his injury plagued season and degenerative knee.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I really can't find a trade similar to Leary for a 4th. Mankins went for a 4th and Tim Wright...about as close as I can find. He is coming off an injury plagued year and still has degenerative knee issues. I'd love a 4th...just not realistic.
Unlike most starting level players Leary is getting paid very little so that enhances his trade value.

If not for the knee his value would be higher than a 4th.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I disagree.

Parnell had some extended actual playing time before he went into FA.

Free missed a lot of time that year.

Leary might have not played in 90% of games played in 2 years before being a FA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlike most starting level players Leary is getting paid very little so that enhances his trade value.

But he is on a one year rental contract, so that lowers his value significantly.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I see...so he is either a rental for a 3rd or 4th round pick...or they have to sign him for significantly more than the 2 mil and change he is making this year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I see...so he is either a rental for a 3rd or 4th round pick...or they have to sign him for significantly more than the 2 mil and change he is making this year.
Who said 3rd?

And who said they had to sign for him significantly more?

Are you sure you replied to the right post?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't think it does, it gives you a year to see if he is worth signing long term and if he will stay healthy.
Would you give up a fourth for a guard for one year? Otherwise after this year all 32 teams will have the same opportunity to sign him, so the trade doesn't guarantee you that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Would you give up a fourth for a guard for one year? Otherwise after this year all 32 teams will have the same opportunity to sign him, so the trade doesn't guarantee you that.
Depends on my oline situation.

If I need a guy who can come in and play at a high level and my team has legitimate playoff aspirations yes.

Especially if its lower in the 4th round.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Who said 3rd?

And who said they had to sign for him significantly more?

Are you sure you replied to the right post?
Read through the entire thread. You said 4th, Ravi had a 3rd for compensation...so that is an easy projection. Trying to follow your logic, if he is valuable enough to merit a 4th, seems like Leary would look for probably double he is being paid this year...right around 5 mil, but it could go higher.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

shane

DCC 4Life
Hang onto him as insurance unless some team is willing to overpay for him. Also, caving to every mid-level player's tantrum doesn't set a good example for the team.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Read through the entire thread. You said 4th, Ravi had a 3rd for compensation...so that is an easy projection. Trying to follow your logic, if he is valuable enough to merit a 4th, seems like Leary would look for probably double he is being paid this year...right around 5 mil, but it could go higher.
I mostly ignore Ravi these days.:unsure

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
According to the article Parnell was worth a 4th round compensatory pick.

I think Leary is clearly better than Parnell and will pull a better contract and be worth at least a 4th.

I wouldn't take anything less than a 3rd in trade for Leary. He's too valuable to the Cowboys both as depth this season and as a strong compensatory pick in 2018.

Jiggyfly

Banned
According to the article Parnell was worth a 4th round compensatory pick.

I think Leary is clearly better than Parnell and will pull a better contract and be worth at least a 4th.

I wouldn't take anything less than a 3rd in trade for Leary. He's too valuable to the Cowboys both as depth this season and as a strong compensatory pick in 2018.
You keep ignoring the fact that Parnell played a significant amount before hitting F.A. and that it's possible Leary will not have played any meaningful snaps in almost 2 years.

Also Parnell is a tackle.

How do you justify paying somebody 20+ million when they have not played in 2 years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You keep ignoring the fact that Parnell played a significant amount before hitting F.A. and that it's possible Leary will not have played any meaningful snaps in almost 2 years.
So a "significant" amount is 5 whole games in 2014, and two others in the three years prior? Leary started 16 (2013), 15 (2014), and 4 (2015) games the last three seasons. It's flat out idiotic to think he can't play.

Also Parnell is a tackle.
Non-LT OL contracts are the same.

How do you justify paying somebody 20+ million when they have not played in 2 years.
He's much better and two years younger than Jermey Parnell, and everyone in the NFL knows it.

Leary was starting until he got injured just enough to provide an excuse to start Collins instead. It can be argued that Leary was still technically better, but there was no way Collins was getting benched.

And Leary will still get playing time and likely start this year too.

So if 7 total games in 4 years got Jermey Parnell a monster contract, then you can bet a younger, better, and more experienced Ronald Leary is definitely getting all that and more.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I was kind of surprised we didn't cut a deal for him during the draft to begin with since it was already clear he doesn't want to be in Dallas. He probably knows he's not going to get an actual second contract so he wants to go somewhere that he'll get that. He was an undrafted free agent to begin with so just take what you can get for the guy once camp rolls around. Fifth round pick, fourth round pick, maybe some quality roster depth at a position of need.

Top Bottom