JJT: Tyrone Crawford fits nicely at DT

Carp

DCC 4Life
IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys drafted Tyrone Crawford to be a defensive ends in the 3-4 defense.

When Jerry Jones made defensive coordinator Rob Ryan the scapegoat for the 8-8 record in 2012 and fired him, Crawford became a 4-3 defensive end in the new scheme.

Well, injuries this season forced him to move inside to defensive tackle and provide depth.

It might be his best position.

Crawford, using a combination of speed and power, played well against the Saints, finishing with two tackles, a quarterback hit and a pass deflection.

“We feel like he can play both and be a versatile guy for us,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He really responded well during the week of practice to that spot and carried that to the game, so it’s certainly a very viable option for us.

“He really affected the game. He was around the ball a lot, he was pushing the pocket. He was around the quarterback. He’s played inside in nickel situations, but that was the first extended time in the base defense playing there.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've really like this guy since he was drafted and to see him playing well off an injury like he had and against competition like New Orleans with Grubbs and Evans fires me up. He's only going to get better, and he can build confidence the more they rotate others to keep him fresh.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He is 6'4" too...gets his hands up and can change passing lanes. We are definitely light in the middle now...and he'll get wore down as the season goes, but he was noticeably quick on Sunday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is 6'4" too...gets his hands up and can change passing lanes. We are definitely light in the middle now...and he'll get wore down as the season goes, but he was noticeably quick on Sunday.
Him and Brent at DT actually could make for a very interesting combination. Throw in Lawrence and Spencer at DE with Mincey and Selvie rotating in. I could get on board with all that.

D

Deuce

He can stay fresh rotating with Melton.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Him and Brent at DT actually could make for a very interesting combination. Throw in Lawrence and Spencer at DE with Mincey and Selvie rotating in. I could get on board with all that.
I don't get what people see in Brent. He wasn't that great when he was here.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't get what people see in Brent. He wasn't that great when he was here.
He is not great at all, but he is the only true NT on the team. A guy with size and a bit of talent will help free up the LBs against the run and frees up the 3 to rush the passer.

Landry

DCC 4Life
He is not great at all, but he is the only true NT on the team. A guy with size and a bit of talent will help free up the LBs against the run and frees up the 3 to rush the passer.
That's if he can still even play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's exactly right. He provides that sturdiness against the run while Crawford gives you the pass rush. Maybe Brent won't come back to his former shape but prior he looked a lot better then the Golden Cock.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tallest midget. That's about it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He was a good player before the layoff. I'll take a good player on the D-line.
It is amazing how Brent's legend has grown since the incident.

He might, at best, have been called "emerging" (and that is being incredibly generous) at the time.

To me, "good" means consistency.

shane

DCC 4Life
Brent's a Willie Blade type space filler who'll probably never return to form. The d-line will still fall apart so we can go 8-8 amidst a slew of Romo turnovers and injuries.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

He might, at best, have been called "emerging" (and that is being incredibly generous) at the time.

I would agree with this. Not sure how his legendary status has grown, but he only showed flashes before, and wasn't this savior some are making him out to be. If anything, one could argue that he's better than anything we currently have, and I'm not even sure that holds true really.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree with this. Not sure how his legendary status has grown, but he only showed flashes before, and wasn't this savior some are making him out to be. If anything, one could argue that he's better than anything we currently have, and I'm not even sure that holds true really.
Calling a player good is now a legendary status? Talk about over exaggeration. It's revisionist history to say he wasn't a good player when he was on the field prior to his suspension. It seems like a lot of the people who want to pretend like he wasn't a good player are the same ones who where furious over his criminal action. You're letting your feelings about the DWI and homicide cloud your judgment of the players on the field play.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The key is the offense scoring points, burning clock, and punishing the opposing defense on top of a competitive and unselfish rotation.

Outside of the opener, Marinelli and company have managed the latter and Murray and Romo the former.

It hinges on Murray's health, but even without him the team won't be terrible, just not playoff worthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The key is the offense scoring points, burning clock, and punishing the opposing defense on top of a competitive and unselfish rotation.

Outside of the opener, Marinelli and company have managed the latter and Murray and Romo the former.

It hinges on Murray's health, but even without him the team won't be terrible, just not playoff worthy.
That's the thing, even without Murray, our running game will be productive. Just not as crazy productive as it is right now. Our Offensive Line is too good for it not to be. The defense has actually been overall pretty good this year. They still have room to grow with guys coming back from injuries and suspensions. I'm actually hopeful that the defense can get better as this season goes on.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Brent was consistent while Ratliff was out injured, I posted his stats before and he was comparable to every top NT during that time.

He was emerging and consistent and only the people who don't want to give him any credit keep using phrases like legend and savior.The best thing anybody has said here is that he is an upgrade over what we have at the 1 technique.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Brent was consistent while Ratliff was out injured, I posted his stats before and he was comparable to every top NT during that time.

He was emerging and consistent and only the people who don't want to give him any credit keep using phrases like legend and savior.The best thing anybody has said here is that he is an upgrade over what we have at the 1 technique.
I have to agree with Jiggy for once. Of course it depends on if Brent can regain what he had when he went out.

Top Bottom