Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released

Kbrown

Not So New Member
This is a crazy thought, but does anyone find it weird that Magic Johnson was at the center of the recorded conversation and happens to be the first in line ready to buy the team after Sterling is pushed out? Not saying, just saying.

That isn't to say Sterling should go on in the NBA or isn't a horrendous racist, just strikes me as weird.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is a crazy thought, but does anyone find it weird that Magic Johnson was at the center of the recorded conversation and happens to be the first in line ready to buy the team after Sterling is pushed out? Not saying, just saying.

That isn't to say Sterling should go on in the NBA or isn't a horrendous racist, just strikes me as weird.
Johnson was the subject to a portion of the conversation but are you inferring he had something to do with the conversations being recorded?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Johnson was the subject to a portion of the conversation but are you inferring he had something to do with the conversations being recorded?
Kbrown would be implying. You would be inferring.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's what is being speculated on sports radio. That the recording sounds like a setup, with the way the conversation is worded, and that Magic and his partners would be first in line to benefit if Sterling was forced to sell.

Not saying Sterling isn't racist, or whatever. But if this setup stuff is true, that's pretty shitty.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I'm saying that his "girlfriend" apparently had a vendetta against him and is "close" to Magic. Magic has an interest in the team. They have a mutual interest in goading him into saying something on tape that's going to get him forced to sell. Not outside the realm of possibility.

Not excusing it. Not saying his sentiments aren't real or are anyone else's fault. Just saying.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm saying that his "girlfriend" apparently had a vendetta against him and is "close" to Magic. Magic has an interest in the team. They have a mutual interest in goading him into saying something on tape that's going to get him forced to sell. Not outside the realm of possibility.

Not excusing it. Not saying his sentiments aren't real or are anyone else's fault. Just saying.
That's an interesting theory. I hope it's not true. I have always respected Magic, but that would put him in the POS category.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Then are you IMPLYING there may be a conspiracy behind all this? (Pay attention Schmitty.):art

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's being reported Sterling is going to be given an indefinite suspension, and a 5 million dollar fine.

Ridiculous. Even though what he said is wrong, it was still said in a private setting and was recorded without his knowledge. I don't agree with this at all.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They now reported the fine has been dropped to 2.5 million, but he has been banned from the league for life.

Cotton

Staff member
They fined him the max amount allowed. Will urge owners to force him to sell the team.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
They fined him the max amount allowed. Will urge owners to force him to sell the team.
The only way that I can see them being successful in forcing him to sell is if the NBA constitution and/or the ownership terms that he agreed to states that owners can be forced out if they violate specific rules.

If that's the case and he agreed to those terms then adios, asshole.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There's no way he could remain an owner anyway because no one is going to want to play for him.

Him remaining the owner of the Clippers would only result in a debacle. Players would demand to be released from their contracts, other players would ask not to be drafted, etc.....it would be a mess.

So whether they force him out or not, he pretty much has to give up the team now because there is no coming back from this.

Cotton

Staff member
The only way that I can see them being successful in forcing him to sell is if the NBA constitution and/or the ownership terms that he agreed to states that owners can be forced out if they violate specific rules.

If that's the case and he agreed to those terms then adios, asshole.
It only takes a 3/4 vote from the owners to remove him as an owner according to the NBA's constitution.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It only takes a 3/4 vote from the owners to remove him as an owner according to the NBA's constitution.
And whether they agree to it or not, all the owners are going to vote to remove him because none of them want to be known as the guy who cut him any slack.

They've already seen how players are protesting against him and the Clippers, so there's no way they are gonna risk having any of that happen to them.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It's being reported Sterling is going to be given an indefinite suspension, and a 5 million dollar fine.

Ridiculous. Even though what he said is wrong, it was still said in a private setting and was recorded without his knowledge. I don't agree with this at all.
I get what you're saying but the cats out of the bag now and the league has no choice but to respond; especially with Sterling's track record.

I think his track record is the reason he was banned for life. If this were a first offense I think he's suspended indefinitely and returns in a year or two a la Marge Schott.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I get what you're saying but the cats out of the bag now and the league has no choice but to respond; especially with Sterling's track record.

His track record is the reason that I think he was banned for life. If this was a first time offense I think h'e suspended indefinitely and returns in a year or two a la Marge Schott.
I agree with this.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

His track record is the reason that I think he was banned for life. If this was a first time offense I think h'e suspended indefinitely and returns in a year or two a la Marge Schott.
Exactly.

He has a track record of both racist and sexist incidents so there was already a long list of stuff the guy had on his resume.

Top Bottom