Potential rule changes and owner meetings

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

I don't know what it is about NFL games and football in general, but fans get ultra-competitive, territorial, whatever you want to call it during football games.

I don't have data to support it but I'd guess that outside of international soccer, American football fans get into the most fights with each other, either in the stadium or out in the parking lots.
90% of incorrigible actions from fans could be curtailed by cutting off booze sales at the games. The remaining upstarts could be handled by stadium security.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
90% of incorrigible actions from fans could be curtailed by cutting off booze sales at the games.
There's not a snow ball's chance in hell of that ever happening. Too much money involved in sales and advertisement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There's not a snow ball's chance in hell of that ever happening. Too much money involved in sales and advertisement.
I know that but that's a better and more practical solution to the fan problem rather than beefing up a Gestapo security force to keep riot control in check. You are right however that approach will never happen. Sooooooooooo my thoughts are let the fans have their way and work on changes to the game. That is about the same mentality. Put the real violence in the stands. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Goal post makers say building them higher isn’t easy

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2014, 7:21 AM EDT

The NFL has decided to make the uprights five feet higher this season, and the manufacturers of goal posts say that’s a harder job than the NFL realized.

David Moxley, director of sports construction sales at goal post maker Sportsfield Specialties, told Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic that his company is in the process of an engineering study to determine whether changing the goal posts from 30 feet to 35 feet will make them more susceptible to potentially blowing over on a windy day.

“It’s actually pretty significant,” Moxley said. “It isn’t as easy as putting 5-foot extensions on each side.”

Neil Gilman, president of Gilman Gear, agreed.

“I think the NFL thought, ‘Just weld on five more feet and everything will be cool,’” Gilman said. “That’s not the case.”

The companies aren’t saying they can’t add height to the goal posts, but they are saying it’s not as simple as the Competition Committee and the owners might have thought. It’s worth the work necessary to get the call right wh

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Goal post makers say building them higher isn’t easy

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2014, 7:21 AM EDT

The NFL has decided to make the uprights five feet higher this season, and the manufacturers of goal posts say that’s a harder job than the NFL realized.

David Moxley, director of sports construction sales at goal post maker Sportsfield Specialties, told Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic that his company is in the process of an engineering study to determine whether changing the goal posts from 30 feet to 35 feet will make them more susceptible to potentially blowing over on a windy day.

“It’s actually pretty significant,” Moxley said. “It isn’t as easy as putting 5-foot extensions on each side.”

Neil Gilman, president of Gilman Gear, agreed.

“I think the NFL thought, ‘Just weld on five more feet and everything will be cool,’” Gilman said. “That’s not the case.”

The companies aren’t saying they can’t add height to the goal posts, but they are saying it’s not as simple as the Competition Committee and the owners might have thought. It’s worth the work necessary to get the call right wh
...wh... WHAT?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
They are just trying to set things up for the giant bill that is sure to come from extending the poles. twss

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They are just trying to set things up for the giant bill that is sure to come from extending the poles. twss
I agree. A 5 foot extension to a hollow post isn't a big deal.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yep, even if they add an inner sleeve for strength it's still pretty much just welding it on

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. A 5 foot extension to a hollow post isn't a big deal.
Do you think it will impact the crossbar portion of it at all though. The additional weight on each side will put more strain on that portion.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Do you think it will impact the crossbar portion of it at all though. The additional weight on each side will put more strain on that portion.
Same weight on the crossbar whether it is 2 feet off the ground or 30 feet off the ground. The only impact to the crossbar would be if they made it wider. Then there would be a different stress factor on the crossbar. I assume you are thinking they will add two extensions on each side and leave the height the same with the crossbar? If that is he proposal there would be an added weight . I was reading the proposal as raising the crossbar 5 feet but after rereading the article it is the uprights.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same weight on the crossbar whether it is 2 feet off the ground or 30 feet off the ground. The only impact to the crossbar would be if they made it wider. Then there would be a different stress factor on the crossbar. I assume you are thinking they will add two extensions on each side and leave the height the same with the crossbar? If that is he proposal there would be an added weight . I was reading the proposal as raising the crossbar 5 feet but after rereading the article it is the uprights.
I don't think you understand what they are doing. They are extending each post so that there is less question when the football goes above the bar and the ref has to eyeball it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think you understand what they are doing. They are extending each post so that there is less question when the football goes above the bar and the ref has to eyeball it.
Yeah that is what I indicated after I read it.

data

Forbes #1
Get the engineers that devised a satellite that can travel to Jupiter. I'm sure they'll figure out how to add 5'

redonkulous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I see that now, sorry I skimmed the end. I still like the new rule. I hate having a ref decide if the ball was actually between the uprights.
Looks like we were both guilty of skimming.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Ace is jealous of all this 5 foot talk.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Deuce and Ace stood on top of the goal posts it would still not be enough.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

Top Bottom