Watkins: Terrell McClain looking to start for Dallas

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Terrell McClain looking to start for Dallas

March, 20, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Newly signed Cowboys defensive tackle Terrell McClain has bounced around in three NFL seasons, but entering his fourth year he's hoping to not only find a secure home but a starting gig.

McClain played 16 games with the Texans last season in a reserve role, getting eight tackles.

"Just trying to find a place to fit in [after] I got released," he said. "But now that I'm going into my fourth year, it's time for me to get back on that horse and become another starter. Just try to see if I can fit in the NFL like I did my rookie year."

The Cowboys are familiar with McClain's work.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli worked McClain out when he was coming out of college in 2011 and defensive end George Selvie played with him in college and briefly in Carolina.

McClain said he can play both defensive tackle spots in a 4-3 defense and he's also versed in the 3-4 scheme. He likes Marinelli's role for him as the three-technique along the line that was boosted by the signing of Henry Melton on Tuesday.

"Just the fast-paced, get off the ball, get after the quarterback every play," McClain said of Marinelli's defensive scheme. "If you have good quickness off the ball and good footwork you can rally make a difference in the system."

When free agency started there were concerns regarding the Cowboys' depth along the defensive line. The loss of defensive tackle Jason Hatcher and defensive end DeMarcus Ware were major, and defensive end Anthony Spencer is currently a free agent. The Cowboys have interest in Spencer's return but no serious contract talks have occurred.

So the team has filled the roles by signing players such as Jeremy Mincey, McClain and Melton to improve the depth along the line. Melton is expected to replace Hatcher and it's possible that Mincey replaces Ware.

McClain is now part of what's expected to be a heavy rotation along the line. Marinelli employed a rotation last season due to injuries, inexperience and to keep players fresh. The same thing could occur again.

"Hopefully, these next two years, I can make a home here," McClain said of his role. "We'll see how things play out."
--------------

If this guy is starting this year, something went very very wrong during the draft.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Skeptic here. This guy might make the team, but starter?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who else is going to start next to Melton? Hayden? I don't know much about McClain, but it's not farfetched for him to be the second best DT on the roster.

Texas_Outlaw7

Brand New Member
That is pretty much how I feel. While I was wrong about Selvie, I am going into it with the same low expectations. That said, I hope we don't use a first round draft pick on a 1.

If the guy ends up being a rotational guy I will be happy. Depth has been what has killed this team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hayden and Bass are probably starters at the 1 technique next to Melton. McClain is depth and insurance for Melton. Dallas is now truly lacking at the 1 technique, but a draft pick at that spot and RDE really gets us going again.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hayden and Bass are probably starters at the 1 technique next to Melton. McClain is depth and insurance for Melton. Dallas is now truly lacking at the 1 technique, but a draft pick at that spot and RDE really gets us going again.
What did Hayden or Bass do to lock down starting spots?

D

Deuce

No doubt.

I honestly think we are counting on this complete turd.
I hope his new sack dance is a solemn head bow to one knee and then pointing to the sky as if every moment is for Jerry Brown.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Draft Nix at 16 now. Or trade down a bit if you can.

Big guy, high motor. Would be perfect next to Melton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Draft Nix at 16 now. Or trade down a bit if you can.

Big guy, high motor. Would be perfect next to Melton.
The funny thing is prior to us signing Melton I would have said hell no to Nix. With Melton on board though I think Nix could be an excellent pick for us in the first round. Dallas will never do that but it would be a perfect pairing in the middle.

I still wouldn't write off Dallas taking a DT. This is the same defense that drafted Booger McFarland in the first while still having Sapp at DT. There are a lot of positives to having two talented DT's in this defense. I think our second round pick may be a perfect spot to snatch a DE. Of course Dallas couldn't screw this draft up too much as long as they don't take a RB or TE in the first two rounds or reach horribly for a player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt.

I honestly think we are counting on this complete turd.
He was a good young player. I wouldn't even mind taking a flier on him. Obviously counting on him for anything more then that would be silly. The man just sat out a year of football and god only knows where his head is at.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nix would be a nice pick, I've just mentally blocked him out because I know our idiot brain trust won't spend a premium pick on a guy like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nix would be a nice pick, I've just mentally blocked him out because I know our idiot brain trust won't spend a premium pick on a guy like that.
That's why a guy like Hageman may be interesting for Dallas. He is a big dude but he is built to play either DT spot in our defense. Will Sutton is also built a lot like someone like Booger and Sapp.

I tend to forget about Nix as well because in my mind I have sort of relegated him to 3-4 NT.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's why a guy like Hageman may be interesting for Dallas. He is a big dude but he is built to play either DT spot in our defense. Will Sutton is also built a lot like someone like Booger and Sapp.

I tend to forget about Nix as well because in my mind I have sort of relegated him to 3-4 NT.
I like Hageman and I think he'll be there at our spot.

I'd have no problems with that selection whatsoever.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The funny thing is prior to us signing Melton I would have said hell no to Nix. With Melton on board though I think Nix could be an excellent pick for us in the first round. Dallas will never do that but it would be a perfect pairing in the middle.
This makes no sense.

If we need an NT, we need an NT. Signing Melton has no bearing on that.

We needed one before, we need one now. If Nix is a good pick after we signed Melton, he was a good pick before we signed Melton, too, because he's filling a completely different hole.

That being said, I agree it'd be a pick I'd get behind. Ideally, if we could trade down and get another pick, too, that'd be even better.

Then you could do something like:

Nix in the first (trade down)
DE in the 2nd
FS in the 3rd
DE/DT in the 3rd (acquired pick)

Starting to get some talent there now.

Top Bottom