Trade Dez Bryant?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's true, but having a dominant OL is more important than having that great WR change the complexion of your WR corps.

I think having another Tyron Smith plus a second is more valuable. Plus, there are character questions about Dez to an extent.
You need 5 O-lineman to make a dominant O-line. So yes having 1 great O-lineman is excellent but you are only 1/5th of the way there. You get 1 dominant WR and you can surround him with average and your passing game will still look great.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I would rather have the dominant line myself. With that being said I still don't see Dez leaving at all. Jerry already had to get rid of his bell cow. He is going to hang onto Dez no matter the cost.
If I had to chose there is no doubt that having a dominant OL is more important.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You don't need 5 dominant OL to have a dominant line, although I wouldn't trade Dez either.

To have a dominant line I think you need at least 2, ideally 3 dominant guys with 2 other average to above average guys around them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If you can trade 5 dominant O-lineman for Dez I am in. Otherwise I have no idea what you're saying.
I agree with what Simp is saying. You don't need to have 5 dominant Olineman to have a dominant line. I would easily trade Dez for a dominant line.

2 great players and some real solid pieces can make a strong front. This more valuable than anything that Dez can do on his own. And I'm a fan of Dez's.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You don't need 5 dominant OL to have a dominant line, although I wouldn't trade Dez either.

To have a dominant line I think you need at least 2, ideally 3 dominant guys with 2 other average to above average guys around them.
So we're at like 1.5 right now.

We could use another.

If I could trade top 10 WR in Dez for top 10 OT in Greg Robinson, I make that trade. Especially if I'm also getting a 2nd.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

We could use another.

If I could trade top 10 WR in Dez for top 10 OT in Greg Robinson, I make that trade. Especially if I'm also getting a 2nd.
That's great in theory but it's not a reality at all.

At any rate, I think we need one more Pro Bowl caliber OL and we will have a line that will soon be one of the best in the league, whether that is a RT or OG, I don't care. Smith will be a top 5 LT for the better part of a decade and Frederick will make a couple Pro Bowls if I had to guess while generally being a top flight center.

Give me Zack Martin at 16 and I think our line will be one of the best in the league for a long time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We could use another.

And then you have the worst WR corp in the NFL and your passing game stinks next year. Which was my point. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul and your offense will still stink. Hell we saw a dramatic improvement in our O-line last year and ended up with very similar results on offense.

I do like Greg Robinson though. It's so uncommon to see a massive guy his size with such raw power who can also run and move extremely well. I would love to see a guy like that on our team. Not saying it will happen but he has the physical tools to be the best OT in the NFL.

Would anyone here trade Dez for Lewan? I sure as hell wouldn't.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And then you have the worst WR corp in the NFL and your passing game stinks next year. Which was my point. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul and your offense will still stink. Hell we saw a dramatic improvement in our O-line last year and ended up with very similar results on offense.

I do like Greg Robinson though. It's so uncommon to see a massive guy his size with such raw power who can also run and move extremely well. I would love to see a guy like that on our team. Not saying it will happen but he has the physical tools to be the best OT in the NFL.

Well most of that has to do with our trainee hc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

At any rate, I think we need one more Pro Bowl caliber OL and we will have a line that will soon be one of the best in the league, whether that is a RT or OG, I don't care. Smith will be a top 5 LT for the better part of a decade and Frederick will make a couple Pro Bowls if I had to guess while generally being a top flight center.

Give me Zack Martin at 16 and I think our line will be one of the best in the league for a long time.
:towel

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Wouldn't take much to match Seattle's corp.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Oddly enough, I have this feeling that he is a very likely target at our pick, I'm not really sure why. Perhaps because he has great versatility and I know Jerry loves him some OL who can play multiple positions.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oddly enough, I have this feeling that he is a very likely target at our pick, I'm not really sure why. Perhaps because he has great versatility and I know Jerry loves him some OL who can play multiple positions.
I don't care how he has to justify it in his head, I think it would be a good pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't take much to match Seattle's corp.
Seattle's offense had very little to do with their success. It would take a massive amount of rebuilding on defense to get us anywhere close to theirs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I have made it pretty clear what my opinion is on versatility with a first round draft pick.

It's like pimping a first rounder because he is great on special teams coverage. It just doesn't matter. It's like you're already preparing for the guy to not be that good at his usual position.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think I have made it pretty clear what my opinion is on versatility with a first round draft pick.

It's like pimping a first rounder because he is great on special teams coverage. It just doesn't matter. It's like you're already preparing for the guy to not be that good at his usual position.
He could end up being a Pro Bowl OG, it just so happens that he could also play LT and probably RT as well. He's basically Justin Pugh on steroids and God knows we loved him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He could end up being a Pro Bowl OG, it just so happens that he could also play LT and probably RT as well. He's basically Justin Pugh on steroids and God knows we loved him.
I agree that Dallas loved Pugh. But I don't want my elite probowl guard playing LT or RT. Just like I don't want my elite probowl LT or RT playing guard. Every year we hear about Dallas having an extreme hardon for one of these guard/tackle tweeners.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Seattle's offense had very little to do with their success. It would take a massive amount of rebuilding on defense to get us anywhere close to theirs.
I know but it does show that you dont have to have the WR to win.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Of course. I'm just commenting on the hypothetical "Would you trade Dez Bryant?" My answer would be yes if one of the teams in the top 5 of the draft wanted to give up their pick and an additional 2nd rounder.

Otherwise.... pass.

I'd be happy with Martin or Lewan this year for sure.

Top Bottom