Sturm's Draft Series

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not real high on Bullard but I agree with your thought process. There will be a D-lineman available. Just because there are a lot of first round DTs in this draft doesn't mean there are enough teams wanting to use a first round pick on one. Never underestimate NFL teams drafting for need.
I like Bullard, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a very similar player to Bosa, not quite as good but similar in the end. I think he could be a really good strong side DE and interior rusher in nickel/dime.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If we trade down I would be very interested in Ogbah.

There is no way he makes into the 2nd.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Sturm's Draft Profile Series: Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott Is The Best Of the Running Back Class[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State - 6'0, 225 - Junior - #15

The NFL used to value Running Backs very highly in the draft. We know plenty of times where great runners were targeted and selected in the first few picks and nobody thought oddly at all. But, within the last decade - no doubt in conjunction with the league becoming more and more a passing league - the NFL stopped doing it almost completely. The last straws were likely the massive disappointments of Darren McFadden at pick #4, CJ Spiller at Pick #9, Trent Richardson at pick #3, or even guys like Felix Jones, Beanie Wells, Jahvid Best, and Donald Brown all being wasted picks in the first round. But whatever the case, the NFL decided in about 2012 that they were done taking Running Backs in Round 1. In 2013 the top RB went at pick #37 - Giovani Bernard to the Bengals - and in 2014 the top RB went off the board at pick #54 - Bishop Sankey to the Titans.

But, last year, along came the best prospect since Adrian Peterson (I thought so anyway when I wrote up his report, anyway) when Todd Gurley was selected at #10 and the Rams appear quite pleased with that decision. The then took Chargers with Melvin Gordon at #15 who did not have an impressive rookie season.

So along comes Ezekiel Elliott whom others are suggesting might be the "best since Peterson" and his name is all over the top of the 1st round. He is 20 years old and possesses size and athleticism that is phenomenal. But, what really impresses you about Elliott is that he plays the game in a way that demonstrates how much he loves every component of the sport. He does everything and he does it with a commitment that suggests he is a team leader.

What I liked: He is a game breaker and can get to top speed in the blink of an eye. Running out of that Urban Meyer spread, he is exclusively a shot-gun back, but you see how he can use a turbo boost that puts him in the secondary in a blink. He also gets skinny through holes and is decisive in his reads. He changes directions well and with wiggle to lose guys. He dominates inside and outside as a back and runs with sub 4.5 speed and also the power you want from a guy who weighs 225. Then, he catches the ball out of the backfield with ease and can use that speed out on the edge. He will attack you in multiple ways. But, honestly, what makes him unique is that Ohio State asked him at times to be a lead blocker for others or a pass protector for his QB and almost without fail, he did it with maximum effort and proficiency. He has balance that allows him to stay on his feet with contact and he is ambitious to do whatever the team needs. He also doesn't really fumble much.

He is a very complete back who will help you in literally every aspect of the offense. There is no doubting his ability and skill set. The fact that he did not factor into the Heisman mix heavily in 2014 or 2015 is quite bewildering and a testament to the crop of RBs that college football is still able to produce annually.

What I did not like: He doesn't really have much as far as weaknesses go. I would say his ceiling is below Gurley, but not by a mile and then the only reason you might not like the concept of Zeke in the top 5 is just a positional value conversation, which I tend to support. I think the career span of RBs in today's NFL suggests it is not a great use of resources in general. But, if you want a football player who is great at what he does and appears to have translatable skills to the NFL, I don't deny that this player looks like the real deal.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: The guy can do it all and would be a fantastic addition to any team. I liked Todd Gurley more but he isn't in this draft. Elliott is very young, strong, and healthy and would fill a real need for any team that needs a RB.

We happen to know a team that seems to have RB pretty unresolved right now, but it would seem foolish to spend a 1st round pick in 3 out of 4 drafts on offensive linemen only to then invest even more heavily in the RB behind them. The whole point in making huge bids on Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, and Travis Frederick (and then paying them all handsomely) was that they could make the RB position more of a disposable asset and roll over any college talent at a minimal price. This would contradict the entire build in my opinion.

I like him a lot, but for me, the Cowboys have already invested heavily in a powerful running game. They need a young and talented RB, but the draft shows those guys can be found every season in the Top 100 (Rounds 2-3). Let someone else spend for one in the Top 10. The Cowboys need investment in too many other areas of their roster to afford this luxury item.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
At least one or two will likely fall to us....but we're taking teh Connor Cook. :tippytoe

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is talk Dodd could go ahead of even Lawson now.
Yeah there are a few DEs that will sort of just he an individual teams preference. The sad thing is none of them strike me as the explosive pass rusher that I believe Randy Gregory can be if he gets his head straight.

This draft is sort of Bosa and then a bunch of DEs that are similar. (Assuming Buckner as a DT or 3-4 DE which is sort of a different position)

GShock

DCC 4Life
Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama - 6'3, 247 - junior - No. 2
When we examine the draft each year, we are looking for players who fit in a given template. The idea is that if a guy fits the profile of a certain position, he gives himself a chance to be that player at the next level. If he doesn't fit the template, then we spend draft season picking him apart. It happens and I am as guilty of it as anyone when we look at players that either fit our ideas of what a player on Sundays should look like or not.
Well, when you consider the case of Derrick Henry, there are going to be some issues to overcome. He is a huge running back. As in, he is too tall at 6-foot-3 and too big at 247 pounds for most of our ideas of the ideal back. Tall backs have too big a target, especially if they run too upright and that is one good reason why many of the best RBs in the history of football might not even be 6-foot. And for weight? Well, let's just say that when you think of guys over 230, you spend a lot of time with the horror stories of Ron Dayne, TJ Duckett, and even present day Eddie Lacy. They either were too big to ever be elusive or they were quickly got bigger as age started to affect metabolism.
Then, you have the issues regarding Alabama running backs. Nick Saban uses them without regard for preserving the tread on the tires, so Henry had 405 touches in 2015 alone. Luckily, that was his only high-use season, but 400 touches in the NFL seems pretty excessive. In college, it represents the second-most touches of any college player in the past decade. But, if you look at his career, understand that his 619 touches does not come close to the miles that DeMarco Murray (916), Darren McFadden (831), or even Lance Dunbar (879) endured at the college level (Cedric Benson had an astounding 1,181). Henry's work load at Alabama is not a big issue.
He is a huge human with 4.54 speed and tested off the charts in a number of categories. He is also chiseled out of stone and has very little in common with any other Alabama back aside from their luxury of playing behind a massive offensive line and winning a lot. I used the Clemson, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, and Florida games from 2015 to study the big man.

What I liked: He is just so powerful and is great at running through contact while possessing breakaway speed that repeated long touchdown runs time and time again all season long. He is a punishing back and a breakaway back in the same body. I certainly don't wish to use the name Earl Campbell as a comp, but there aren't many runners who could offer both types of highlights since Earl where he can run through you and past you on consecutive plays.
He can pass protect reasonably well (I don't wish to get carried away on this because it can improve) and he can also catch better than people would assume when they see he only has 17 catches (as he tried to prove on his pro day). But, what makes him special is he plants his foot and goes. He also can fit through small holes for a big man and also can drop that pad level and give defenders pause as they try to square him up. As the game goes on, this battering ram can wear a defense out. But, he is so much more than that as his jump cuts make him flat-out elusive. As long as he keeps top-end speed for a RB, he will be a massive problem for defenses where they will be tempted to stack the box, freeing up opportunities for a passing game.

What I did not like: He is just a RB. We talked about Ezekiel Elliott impacting every aspect of your offense, but Henry is more traditional in that he is a simply a RB. His receiving skills may be usable, but they have never been used. And his lead blocking is pedestrian to be sure. Also, his wiggle is limited and if you get into the backfield before he gets up a head of steam, he can be brought down. I think his acceleration issues have been overplayed, but he clearly can't match Elliott's one-step turbo (few can). Aside from Jerome Bettis and Christian Okoye, there aren't very many RBs in the 240-to-250-pound range who had a shelf life over five years, so Henry is on the very high side of the modern day RB without many comps at all. Brandon Jacobs had a nice few years but fell off by 26 or 27 years old when he stopped running as violently. We wonder what Henry will run like in five years. We also wonder just how good his vision is downfield. On some plays it looks great and on others you would like it to be better.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: The Cowboys actually have one of the better chances to replicate the Alabama situation with a big offensive line that can give a RB a chance to get up to speed with opportunities. Once Henry steps into the secondary, it is over. Defenders do not want to get in front of him and you can imagine Dallas would be very interested in this at the top of Round 2 if he falls to them.
He is not Elliott. But, he is the second-best runner in this draft according to most and the price drop from Elliott to Henry suggests that while Zeke might be too pricey, Henry might appeal to them quite a bit. He is so talented and while there is a risk to his body type, there is also a massive and immediate reward possible. I would not be shocked to see the Cowboys address a skill position spot at No. 34 with either a wide receiver or this guy. And we all know how Jason Garrett enjoys visiting with Nick Saban. Saban cannot stop raving about the way Henry competes. This might be an eventual fit this spring. Power running could return with a real vengeance this fall.
You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually really like the thought of Henry in Dallas. He is really a workhorse that could fit perfectly. His running style is a great match and I love how he breaks through arm tackles like they aren't even there. In our scheme he could be a force running those off tackle plays.

I don't know what his life span will be in the NFL but while he is here guys aren't going to want to tackle him. He is just that big and fast.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I actually really like the thought of Henry in Dallas. He is really a workhorse that could fit perfectly. His running style is a great match and I love how he breaks through arm tackles like they aren't even there. In our scheme he could be a force running those off tackle plays.

I don't know what his life span will be in the NFL but while he is here guys aren't going to want to tackle him. He is just that big and fast.
I don't disagree, but a draft of Wentz/Goff (not that you suggested such a pick) then Henry means little premium help for the defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree, but a draft of Wentz/Goff (not that you suggested such a pick) then Henry means little premium help for the defense.
Yeah and that's the difficult part. You have the ability to add two young talented starters in the first and second. By going offense and offense I worry we are missing the building on defense. Of course last year in the draft we went defense heavy. If we add a couple free agents to the defense we can afford it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Henry in the second would be decent. I could live with that.

But that really depends on what happens with the first round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah and that's the difficult part. You have the ability to add two young talented starters in the first and second. By going offense and offense I worry we are missing the building on defense. Of course last year in the draft we went defense heavy. If we add a couple free agents to the defense we can afford it.
We just need good players period.

We could be building this defense to Marinelli's specifications and he could be gone in two years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just need good players period.

We could be building this defense to Marinelli's specifications and he could be gone in two years.
Well and that's the thing. Even first and second round picks on defense aren't immediate impact. Most of these guys take a year or two before they catch on. Look at Lawrence for example. Or most pass rushers really. So picking guys in this draft isn't some sort of a quick fix to have this defense ready to go this year. If we want that we need to do work in free agency and hope some of the young guys from previous drafts continue to develop like Gregory and others.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's draft profile series: Utah RB Devontae Booker could give Cowboys something they clearly don't have[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL general manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can. To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, click here.

Devontae Booker, RB, Utah - 5-foot-11, 219 pounds - redshirt senior - No. 23

There is no question that one of the enjoyable components of covering the draft by grabbing one new prospect every day is the exercise of learning their stories. Some are typical and some are certainly not. The case of Devontae Booker would qualify as taking the long route to the NFL Draft. It starts with a verbal commitment to Fresno State, academic shortfalls and confusion, a year out of football, two years in junior college, another year missed with academic confusion, and finally two years at Utah where he dominated the Pac-12 and was a phenomenal all-purpose back.

So, with that lengthy journey, he will turn 24 years old in May and that certainly puts him at the high end of the age range for players in this draft. The fact that he is a running back -- which many of us already plan for a short career span and an expiration date that may only span one contract -- may actually not affect many people's perception of his value. The great thing about drafting a RB is that they are generally ready to go in their rookie season, and there is no question Booker fits that mold. Aside from Ezekiel Elliott, he would have to rank quite high on this year's backs from the standpoint of a guy who can do just about everything you would want from an every-down back. Further complicating the present tense of his case, he is recovering from meniscus surgery on his knee and has been unable to run the 40-yard dash for teams, meaning his pro day on March 24th will actually determine if he is that 4.5 guy that he was a year ago. And, on top of this, we have a Utah workload in two years that was staggering, as he played in 23 games for the Utes and touched the ball 639 times for an average of about 28 touches per game. If Derrick Henry's usage in college gave you pause, just know he had 619 in three years (15 touches per game).

Booker nearly doubled that.

What I liked: There is a lot to like about Devontae Booker in terms of how he attacks the defense. If you want someone who catches the ball smoothly, operates well both inside and outside, demonstrates acceleration and patience, and displays top shelf athleticism as he is trying to leap over players in his path, then Booker might appeal to you. He really is dangerous as a receiving option out in the flat and then has a very easy ability to make people miss in space. He runs with vision and patience which might fit well in the zone scheme here as he allows his offensive line to help him. At the same time, there are plays where he has to improvise and accomplish things on his own and he is pretty handy at that as well. He is very good on third downs and led all of college football in third down rushes that resulted in first downs for much of 2015. He can pass protect, but slipping him into space is the best way to chase off blitzes. He runs low and has fantastic balance off contact. He can run through contact and has a turbo boost that makes tackling him a long day. He also seems to have more success in the second half of games as he was averaging four yards a carry in his first 15 touches in each game and six yards after that.

What I did not like: We already mentioned that he is 24 years old and that he is coming off a knee (meniscus) surgery. Those two things are enough to take a top prospect and make him available in the third round. Add to that a few other elements that you would at least want to identify so that everyone is on the same page. There are questions about whether he possesses breakaway speed. For a man with this many touches, he has a low number of home runs that demonstrate that he cannot be caught from behind. He may not have that. He has plenty of 20-yard runs, but the 50-plus-yard touchdown is a rarity. He also has nine fumbles in 639 college touches which is a bit high, although just three fumbles in 2015 in about 300 touches which is much closer to average.

Summary and potential fit with the Cowboys: Booker has a lot of things to like and he is a very enjoyable player to study. He also plays with a disposition that is attractive in terms of his competitive fire and desire to dominate his opponent. There are certainly reasons why he could slide in the draft, but for a team that needs a running back at the right price, I can certainly see how Booker checks many of the boxes.

Would you like him younger with fewer miles on his odometer (keep in mind we don't have any idea how many hundreds of touches he had in junior college)? Of course. But, watching the tape and studying his skill set and figuring how quickly he could be a starter in the NFL tells you that he is likely in the conversations for the Cowboys in this draft.

Would he be there at the top of Round 3? I imagine his Pro Day could affect that quite a bit. But, if Dallas wants a college back who is all-purpose and won't have quite the price tag of Elliott or Henry, this player might fit the description pretty well. He is one in a group of candidates for Rounds 3-4 and Booker could give Dallas something it clearly doesn't have right now: a patient runner with vision and acceleration with a awesome ability to pass-catch out in space, too.

He is a solid prospect.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well and that's the thing. Even first and second round picks on defense aren't immediate impact. Most of these guys take a year or two before they catch on. Look at Lawrence for example. Or most pass rushers really. So picking guys in this draft isn't some sort of a quick fix to have this defense ready to go this year. If we want that we need to do work in free agency and hope some of the young guys from previous drafts continue to develop like Gregory and others.
No argument from me. Expecting a rookie end to take over the league is a tall order.

Top Bottom