Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2016

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
First post in the thread updated with Combine interviews.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some DeForest Buckner against Jack Conklin a good bit. Can't say I am all that impressed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Per Tony Pauline, Cowboys met with Oregon ILB Joe Walker.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Holy crap.

Not only is his hair insolent, it is downright belligerent.

That still cracks me up. I was watching the draft that year over at my girlfriend's place and she comes down the stairs as they've got the camera directly on him (was it Croyle?), she asks, "Who's the guy with the gay hair?"
"Insolent. Insolent hair."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It appears we are pushing the envelope on hair prospects.

This is Joe Walker, MLB from Oregon, who we showed interest in at their Pro Day.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
It appears we are pushing the envelope on hair prospects.

This is Joe Walker, MLB from Oregon, who we showed interest in at their Pro Day.

He, too, has douche bag hair. Different style, but still of the feminine hygeine product carrying case brand.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: Cowboys schedule private workout with MSU QB Connor Cook
Jeffrey Kahn - 30 minutes ago
Dallas Newsletter

Connor Cook will receive an extra look from the Dallas Cowboys ahead of the 2016 NFL Draft.

According to Davie Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Cowboys and Dolhpins both have a private workouts set up with the former Michigan State quarterback.

Michigan State Spartans#18
Connor Cook
PRO | 6-4 | 220
Rating 96
Full Profile

The 6-4, 217-pound righty is the fourth-rated quarterback in this year's draft, per CBS Sports. Here's what draft analysts Dane Brugler and Rob Rang compiled on his strengths:

Possesses ideal size for the next level with the build to take consistent punishment, including as a short-yardage rusher with his deceiving athleticism.

Cook scans the entire field and is a confident passer to all levels, showing touch, anticipation and toughness in the pocket. He has effortless arm strength when he steps into his throws with proper mechanics and torque through his hips to deliver the proper trajectory on downfield passes.

Mastered Michigan State's offense, firing quick passes underneath with the ability to thread the needle on deeper sideline throws. Has excellent experience, and his poise in key situations has improved throughout his career.

Cook had a lot of success at for the Spartans in the last three college football seasons. During his senior year, Cook threw for 3,131 yards and 24 touchdowns with seven interceptions. Watch some of his highlights in the video embedded below.

The Cowboys are looking to take a quarterback in this year's draft, but likely not in the first round. With Cook projected to go in the late first and early second, the Cowboys could spend their early second-round pick on him. With the Cowboys looking for the future under center when Tony Romo hangs it up, Cook is certainly an intriguing prospect.

Related: Report: Cowboys schedule private workout with QB Dak Prescott

The Cowboys will likely set up a few more private workouts for mid-round quarterback draft prospects before they're on the clock. The draft officially begins on April 28.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd take Cook before I took Lynch.

I'd rather Goff or Wentz, but if we pass on those guys, at least we'd still have a possible QB of the future, one with legit franchise potential.

And as much as I'd hate forgoing other positions in the 2nd, this would be way better than a TE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take Cook before I took Lynch.

I'd rather Goff or Wentz, but if we pass on those guys, at least we'd still have a possible QB of the future, one with legit franchise potential.

And as much as I'd hate forgoing other positions in the 2nd, this would be way better than a TE.
I wouldn't. Not sure why you are so down on Lynch. The guy has the strongest arm in the draft. He is tall and athletic. I really like his accuracy on those deep out type passes as well. I think there is a lot to work with when it comes to Lynch. I just wish his delivery was a little quicker.

Prescott is the one I really worry about though. I could so see Dallas taking him in the third thinking they are fixing the QB position and getting the next Russell Wilson/Cam Newton or something. The problem is Prescott has a sally arm and played in a joke college offense. He is closer to Tim Tebow then the two guys I mentioned.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldn't. Not sure why you are so down on Lynch. The guy has the strongest arm in the draft. He is tall and athletic. I really like his accuracy on those deep out type passes as well. I think there is a lot to work with when it comes to Lynch. I just wish his delivery was a little quicker.

Prescott is the one I really worry about though. I could so see Dallas taking him in the third thinking they are fixing the QB position and getting the next Russell Wilson/Cam Newton or something. The problem is Prescott has a sally arm and played in a joke college offense. He is closer to Tim Tebow then the two guys I mentioned.
Well you hit on one of the reasons, his slow delivery is a big deal. I also don't like the speed and quality of his decision making. Obviously I could easily be wrong, but Lynch strikes me as a mediocre at best pro.

I didn't like Lynch from the jump, even when mocks had him rated near the top of the first and higher than Goff I immediately flushed it. He played Temple this year and I was not impressed at all.

That said, if he was available I'd probably take a chance in the early third.

Prescott I have zero interest.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At 34 only. Probably won't make it there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he makes it to 34 I'm all good with it. Powerful talented runner. As a pure runner he may be just as good of a fit in Dallas as Elliott. He just doesn't bring the full compliment of other stuff that Elliott brings as a receiver.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are things I like about Cook and things that bother me. His personality in interviews seems great but then I wonder why he wasn't voted a captain. Or I wonder why he skipped the Senior Bowl. I still think he is very NFL ready and shows good anticipation on throws. Just not sure he has the upside to be an NFL elite QB.

Cotton

Staff member
There are things I like about Cook and things that bother me. His personality in interviews seems great but then I wonder why he wasn't voted a captain. Or I wonder why he skipped the Senior Bowl. I still think he is very NFL ready and shows good anticipation on throws. Just not sure he has the upside to be an NFL elite QB.
I wouldn't touch him even in the 3rd round.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't touch him even in the 3rd round.
The guys on NFL radio (XM Radio) were talking about his workout at Michigan State today. I guess he was really impressive and their general feeling from people there was that he was going to go in the first round.

Cotton

Staff member
The guys on NFL radio (XM Radio) were talking about his workout at Michigan State today. I guess he was really impressive and their general feeling from people there was that he was going to go in the first round.
Good for them. And, he may pan out, but I predict he flames out and busts after a couple of years in the league.

Top Bottom