Archer: Cole Beasley cashes in on opportunities

Carp

DCC 4Life
CHICAGO -- At 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, Cole Beasley is not the most imposing player on an NFL field.

But Beasley showed his strength on the first of his two touchdowns in the Dallas Cowboys' 41-28 win against the Chicago Bears on Thursday. He carried safety Chris Conte four yards into the end zone with eight seconds left in the first half for a lead the Cowboys would not relinquish the rest of the night.

“That was definitely probably one of the first times right there,” Beasley said when asked the last time he carried a defender into the end zone.

Beasley scored his second touchdown on the Cowboys’ first possession of the second half, running away from Conte after Tony Romo was flushed out of the pocket because of pressure from defensive end Willie Young.

“You got a guy like Tony you’ve got to be able to get open later in the play like that,” Beasley said. “He did a great job and I was able to get free and he put it on the money.”

It was Beasley’s third touchdown reception in the past three games. He has had nine catches for 148 yards in the last three games after catching just 16 passes for 143 yards in the first 10 games.

“He’s one of those guys we’ve talked about many times who’s in that role that sometimes doesn’t get a lot of chances in a given week,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Whenever he gets opportunities, he seems to cash in.”

In the Thanksgiving Day loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Beasley had a key fumble late in the second quarter that led to a field goal. It was his second fumble in three games. After his fumble against Jacksonville, he responded with a touchdown against the New York Giants.

After his fumble against the Eagles, he had the first two-touchdown game of his career.

“Get rid of the fumbles and keep getting touchdowns,” Beasley said, “then we’ll be all right.”

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Probably gonna have to give a higher than expected tender to keep this guy. Would ya?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Probably gonna have to give a higher than expected tender to keep this guy. Would ya?
I would. Clearly Romo trusts the guy and has developed a nice chemistry with him. We've wanted a player like him for year and he is really nice in his role.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have liked Beasley from the start because I had the benefit of seeing him in more games than most since he played at SMU. I knew he had great hands and was clutch. My reservation was his size, not so much about ability as it was about his durability with the pros. So far this hasn't been a problem.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it's just one game. He could totally disappear for the next few weeks. Other then Dez and Witten our offense spreads the ball around to a lot of different guys.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I have liked Beasley from the start because I had the benefit of seeing him in more games than most since he played at SMU. I knew he had great hands and was clutch. My reservation was his size, not so much about ability as it was about his durability with the pros. So far this hasn't been a problem.
After delving deeper into him after we picked him up, I was looking forward to seeing him contribute but ultimately his durability will be based on how much he is utilized. I don't care about size so much in a slot guy but Beasley is lower on the size scale than some other diminutive WR/skill position guys. He is pretty slight of build but he is smart about avoiding big hits and that's a good thing because I don't think it would take much to take him out. A good hit on a bigger player will take him out and the smaller you get, the easier it gets.

He is a scrappy little sucker though. I do have to agree with Booze though, these types are easier to find than you think if you really look around.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

Booze and you haters...the Beeez is the man. Role players like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen as you try to make it seem.

He is a solid player.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
:lol

Booze and you haters...the Beeez is the man. Role players like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen as you try to me it seem.

He is a solid player.
Agreed. I tender him high so at least we get a good draft pick if someone else likes him a little too much.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Seriously, who would you rather have on your team right now? Amber Alert or Beasley?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seriously, who would you rather have on your team right now? Amber Alert or Beasley?
Frame the question this way. If Bryant got hurt, who would you plug in?

If you answer Shrimp Beasley :lol

data

Forbes #1
problem with Beasley's production is that it doesn't have a ripple effect to make defenses adjust and opening up the passing game.

A couple of catches to Witten and defenses change. Beasley catches a ball, and, well, whatever. Ce la vie.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
problem with Beasley's production is that it doesn't have a ripple effect to make defenses adjust and opening up the passing game.

A couple of catches to Witten and defenses change. Beasley catches a ball, and, well, whatever. Ce la vie.
You saw the max that Beasley could ever do the other night.

He is not going to take over a game like Welker or even Edelman. Not that talented.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Beasley can't replace Dez and he's not as good as Welker. Ok, now that we have that out of the way we can talk about how cool of a complimentary player he is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasley can't replace Dez and he's not as good as Welker. Ok, now that we have that out of the way we can talk about how cool of a complimentary player he is.
Very cool.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Frame the question this way. If Bryant got hurt, who would you plug in?

If you answer Shrimp Beasley :lol
:lol if your answer is Amber Alert also. He can't produce with Dez and Witten getting all the coverage right now.

townsend

Banned
I think Romo's declining arm strength has hurt Terence Williams. Maybe Romo doesn't trust him to get under those lame ducks like Bryant does.

Top Bottom