MLB Chatter Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Five potential trade destinations for Jose Fernandez

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/66550/five-potential-trade-destinations-for-jose-fernandez

5. Houston Astros

The Astros are likely focusing on first base/DH and the bullpen more than adding another starter behind Dallas Keuchel, Collin McHugh, Lance McCullers Jr., Mike Fiers and Scott Feldman, but they're a team with the young talent to acquire Fernandez. The Marlins would certainly ask for McCullers, but the Astros have other intriguing arms like Vincent Velasquez, Mark Appel and Michael Feliz, plus third baseman Colin Moran and some high-upside/high-risk outfielders in the lower minors like Daz Cameron and Kyle Tucker.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Houston Astros ✔ @astros
The Astros have acquired RHP Cy Sneed from the Brewers in exchange for IF Jonathan Villar.
The mets will have to settle for Andrus.

D

Deuce

David Price to Boston for 7 years, $217M. Ties Miguel Cabrera at $31M/year which is most in baseball history.

:lol F.

Rev

Staff member
Wow. Just Wow.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
David Price to Boston for 7 years, $217M. Ties Miguel Cabrera at $31M/year which is most in baseball history.

Eh, that's back burner news.

The big story is the Twins signed Byung Ho Park for 4 years, 12 mil. :towel

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

That is why I knew the Cubs were not going to land him. That is a crazy amount of money for a 30 year old pitcher who has a postseason ERA > 5.00. He is very good but that is a massive amount of money to commit to him.

The Cubs simply don't have that kind of money for another 4 years until they get a new TV deal. It is an overpay but Boston needed an ace since they have screwed up big time with the pitchers they have added the past couple years. They have the big TV money so good for them I guess but they are going to hate that deal the last few years of the contract. Better hope they win a World a series or two between now and then.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
$31 mill a year. Good god.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Red Sox have become the Tanks now. Overpaying for Price, a year after doing the same with Sandoval and Ramirez. They are poorly run...just throwing stupid money around.

D

Deuce

Price can opt out after 3 years, but who would when you're getting $31M per?

dallen

Senior Tech
Price is good, but holy hell. He's not that good

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Price is good, but holy hell. He's not that good
Sadly that is just the way the market is these days. Feels like an overpay to me—there is no way he should be making more than Kershaw, for instance—but every year it seems like the contracts are getting more and more absurd. Even a below average starter like JA Happ is getting $12M a year in free agency at this point.

Rev

Staff member
Might as well enjoy Yu for the next two years, then.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Greinke to the D-Bags?! Wow. Shows you that you can trust absolutely nothing in the way of reporting during this period of the MLB offseason. It was widely reported that he was decispdong between the LAD & SF Giants. Guess AZ just swooped in and topped their offer.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs sign Lackey to a 2 year deal for $34M. I am between meh and feh. Sadly $17M per year is a decent deal for a solid mid-rotation guy but I don't like the fact that Lackey will be 37 years old. Odds of a steep decline are really increasing the deeper he gets into his late 30s. Fortunately it is only a 2 year deal so it won't kill them long term but this is a big percentage of the supposed off season budget they have. They had better make a couple of interesting trades to improve the team because I am not optimistic about a 37 year old Lackey making the team better. Plus I hate his stupid, ugly face and douchebag attitude.

Rev

Staff member
Cubs sign Lackey to a 2 year deal for $34M. I am between meh and feh. Sadly $17M per year is a decent deal for a solid mid-rotation guy but I don't like the fact that Lackey will be 37 years old. Odds of a steep decline are really increasing the deeper he gets into his late 30s. Fortunately it is only a 2 year deal so it won't kill them long term but this is a big percentage of the supposed off season budget they have. They had better make a couple of interesting trades to improve the team because I am not optimistic about a 37 year old Lackey making the team better. Plus I hate his stupid, ugly face and douchebag attitude.
A little CSB here but my brother pitched on the same little league team as Lackey. My brother in law also played baseball and football with him all through high school and said that attitude was there then. He still cringes when I bring up his name. LoL.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Rays said to be targeting Javier Baez in talks with Cubs
Marc TopkinMarc Topkin, Times Staff Writer
Monday, December 7, 2015 10:10am

The Rays' trade talks with the Chicago Cubs are said to be focused on getting INF Javier Baez in return for pitching, a major-league source told the Times.

Baez, 23, would provide the kind of young impact bat the Rays seek. He has played parts of the last two seasons with the Cubs after starring in the minors.

The Rays have pitching depth to deal from - either of their two late-inning relievers, Jake McGee or Brad Boxberger, and a starter from the group of Drew Smyly, Matt Moore, Jake Odorizzi and Erasmo Ramirez.

There is no confirmation of any deal, or a clear sense of how far along they are or likely to reach agreement.

[Last modified: Monday, December 7, 2015 10:12am]
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...I would be inclined to hold onto Baez unless he could be part of a bigger deal for a sure-fire stud pitcher, but not sure that is realistic. I covet guys like Carlos Carrasco from Cleveland, Jose Quintana from the White Sox, etc, but those types good young cost-controlled pitchers have a ton of value and teams have very little reason to move them unless they are blown away with an offer.

Obviously the Rays are not going to move Archer and if they did it would take a hell of a lot more than Baez to get him. A deal for Odorizzi and Jake McGee would be a nice addition to the pitching staff though, but even that would take more than just Baez. Or maybe Smyly since they could use another lefty in the rotation. What was his injury last year though? Moore is interesting as well but he may be broken.

If they could somehow pry Kiermaier away I would do it in a second but I highly doubt Tampa is interested in moving him. CF is definitely a need for the Cubs and his glove is ridiculous. Desmond Jennings might be worth a shot as a short-term CF option for the Cubs as part of a deal though. He can't have much trade value at this point but he could at least fill a hole for the Cubs in 2016.

Thoughts [MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] ?

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
The deals some of these relievers are getting is ridiculous.

O'Day 4 years 31 mil.

Madson 3 years 22 mil.

Soria 3 years 25 mil.

The Madson one is a little baffling. He did have a good year for KC, but he was the one bullpen guy teams could get to in the playoffs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to acquire All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman in a trade with the Cincinnati Reds, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jim Bowden.

Los Angeles will send two prospects -- neither of whom is prized 19-year-old left-hander Julio Urias -- to Cincinnati, the source told Bowden. The deal, which is pending Chapman's passing a medical examination, was first reported Monday by Fox Sports.

The Dodgers bolstered not only their bullpen but also their rotation by acquiring Aroldis Chapman and signing Hisashi Iwakuma.
Reds president of baseball operations Walt Jocketty said last month that he hoped to move the hard-throwing left-hander before this week's winter meetings in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Reds finished last in the NL Central the past season with a 64-98 record.

The Dodgers saw right-hander Zack Greinke agree to a reported six-year, $206 million deal with the Diamondbacks on Friday. Greinke led the majors in ERA the past season while helping the Dodgers win their third straight division title. He opted out of his contract to become a free agent.

Los Angeles already has an established closer, with Kenley Jansen recording 36 saves in 2015 and 44 in 2014.

Presuming the Dodgers plan on keeping both relievers, new manager Dave Roberts could have a challenge getting one of them to accept a setup role. Both pitchers, who will be free agents after the season, are eligible for arbitration and figure to make more than $10 million in 2016.

In six years in the majors, Chapman has a 2.17 ERA with 146 saves. He has averaged 15.4 strikeouts per nine innings.

Chapman threw the 62 fastest pitches in the big leagues the past season, according to Major League Baseball's new Statcast computer system. His fastest pitches ranged from 102.36 mph to 103.92 mph.

ESPN Staff Writer Mark Saxon and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

D

Deuce

Rays said to be targeting Javier Baez in talks with Cubs
Marc TopkinMarc Topkin, Times Staff Writer
Monday, December 7, 2015 10:10am

The Rays' trade talks with the Chicago Cubs are said to be focused on getting INF Javier Baez in return for pitching, a major-league source told the Times.

Baez, 23, would provide the kind of young impact bat the Rays seek. He has played parts of the last two seasons with the Cubs after starring in the minors.

The Rays have pitching depth to deal from - either of their two late-inning relievers, Jake McGee or Brad Boxberger, and a starter from the group of Drew Smyly, Matt Moore, Jake Odorizzi and Erasmo Ramirez.

There is no confirmation of any deal, or a clear sense of how far along they are or likely to reach agreement.

[Last modified: Monday, December 7, 2015 10:12am]
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...I would be inclined to hold onto Baez unless he could be part of a bigger deal for a sure-fire stud pitcher, but not sure that is realistic. I covet guys like Carlos Carrasco from Cleveland, Jose Quintana from the White Sox, etc, but those types good young cost-controlled pitchers have a ton of value and teams have very little reason to move them unless they are blown away with an offer.

Obviously the Rays are not going to move Archer and if they did it would take a hell of a lot more than Baez to get him. A deal for Odorizzi and Jake McGee would be a nice addition to the pitching staff though, but even that would take more than just Baez. Or maybe Smyly since they could use another lefty in the rotation. What was his injury last year though? Moore is interesting as well but he may be broken.

If they could somehow pry Kiermaier away I would do it in a second but I highly doubt Tampa is interested in moving him. CF is definitely a need for the Cubs and his glove is ridiculous. Desmond Jennings might be worth a shot as a short-term CF option for the Cubs as part of a deal though. He can't have much trade value at this point but he could at least fill a hole for the Cubs in 2016.

Thoughts @Deuce ?
This is an interesting potential deal. Could Baez play an effective SS cause Forsythe has pretty much locked up 2B.

As as for what we could give up, I'd love to see Jennings sent off. He's oft injured and the outfield of KK, Mahtook and Souza was very productive last year and maybe the best defensive OF in the league. And yes, KK is going nowhere.

Pitchers will be the question. Archer is untouchable for another 2 years. Cobb has value to Chicago cause Maddon knows first hand what we is capable of, but he's coming off TJ. Moore was flat out bad coming off TJ last year, but after being sent down again to work on mechanics he came back up and was great. He's the biggest high risk/reward of the bunch. Smyly I think has a chronic problem in his shoulder that doesn't really need surgery, but he's good for a few DL stints a year for rest. Very good when active, though. Erasmo, or Er-Ace-mo as he was called much of last year, had a huge turnaround but I wouldn't trust him.

If I were you guys, I wouldn't give up a quality young player like him unless it was for Archer (no chance) and maybe Smyly if it turns out it isn't a chronic problem. If Cobb wasn't coming off TJ, maybe him too but too many questions now. I'd also probably ask for Mahtook instead of DJ.

Top Bottom