Jones not impressed with the coaching in last nights game.

Jiggyfly

Banned
To me, the mistake of leaving any time on the clock following the Bailey FG attempt is the bigger mistake.

Sure, in an ideal world you have McFadden get the 1st down and force the Skins to use their 2 timeouts, then kick the FG with no time left, or when it's 1st and 10, even if you don't get the 1st, the strategy is to make the Skins use two timeouts and you run the clock down to about 35 seconds before kicking the FG, leaving the Skins about 30 seconds and no timeouts. But I can't really blame McFadden for punching it in for the TD, not only is it instinct, it's also guaranteeing that we get the lead, as opposed to the minor chance of a botched FG.

But to me, to have 2nd and 2 at the 37 with about 22 seconds left, you have 1 timeout, the Skins have one, and you throw two incompletions, leaving the Skins with their timeout and about 10 seconds on the clock following the FG attempt is the much bigger issue. What happens if Bailey misses and the Skins get the ball on their 44 with a timeout?

Why not run the ball, force them to use their timeout and/or attempt the FG with 2-3 seconds on the clock?

If we had Romo I understand trying to pick up 5-10 more yards but with Cassel you run the huge risk of turning the ball over or getting sacked, on top of the fact that you leave time on the clock and the Skins with a timeout.

I mean, this is Football 101 stuff here, Garrett is just a complete fucking dunce.
I actually did not think of this.

Washington could have possibly gotten the ball at the 45 with 10 sec and a TO.

YIKES! That was terrible clock management.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
To me, the mistake of leaving any time on the clock following the Bailey FG attempt is the bigger mistake.

Sure, in an ideal world you have McFadden get the 1st down and force the Skins to use their 2 timeouts, then kick the FG with no time left, or when it's 1st and 10, even if you don't get the 1st, the strategy is to make the Skins use two timeouts and you run the clock down to about 35 seconds before kicking the FG, leaving the Skins about 30 seconds and no timeouts. But I can't really blame McFadden for punching it in for the TD, not only is it instinct, it's also guaranteeing that we get the lead, as opposed to the minor chance of a botched FG.
Down at the one, Cowboys have a 1st down-- the game is over. Bailey is 183/183 from under 20 yards. Why not blame McFadden? He is a professional football player and he should understand his game. At least someone in the damned huddle should.

That's as sure a thing as there is in sports.
But to me, to have 2nd and 2 at the 37 with about 22 seconds left, you have 1 timeout, the Skins have one, and you throw two incompletions, leaving the Skins with their timeout and about 10 seconds on the clock following the FG attempt is the much bigger issue. What happens if Bailey misses and the Skins get the ball on their 44 with a timeout?

Why not run the ball, force them to use their timeout and/or attempt the FG with 2-3 seconds on the clock?
Clearly I agree:
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?5345-Week-13-Chatter-Thread-Cowboys-vs-Redskins-12-7-2015&p=244366&viewfull=1#post244366
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?5345-Week-13-Chatter-Thread-Cowboys-vs-Redskins-12-7-2015&p=244369&viewfull=1#post244369

Passing gets you clock stoppage on an incompletion or maybe a pick. Running at least gets you a yard or two closer and lets you drop the clock to no time left, insuring OT if you miss.

But we're tactically dead. Jason Garrett's gameplan usually involves:

1) Tony Romo does something amazing here.
1b) Dez Bryant does something amazing here.
1c) DeMarco Murray does some..., uh nm
2) Dan Bailey bails us out.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry is perfectly fine with a giving a HC ten years to learn on the job if it means JJ doesn't have to walk on egg shells or give up any control to an actual qualified HC. Sadly this isn't going to change no matter how much control Stephen has not until JJ is gone.
We learned this when he ran off an all timer who leaks more football knowledge during his morning shit than the entire Jones family will ever possess.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Garrett at the PC on the end of game score, etc... "What we wanted to do is *play football*... We thought they were going to play football so that's what we needed to do." (paraphrase)

WTF is wrong with this guy?

townsend

Banned
Garrett at the PC on the end of game score, etc... "What we wanted to do is *play football*... We thought they were going to play football so that's what we needed to do." (paraphrase)

I wonder if IBM's Watson will replace him, once he graduates college

shoop

Semi-contributing member

Did he trade brains with John madden?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jerry's just now noticing tactical issues with coaching? He's seen that JG is in over his head for years. Just shows that Jerry's comfort level trumps hiring a quality HC.
That's exactly right.

I think that even Jerry Jones can see and has seen just how much of a disadvantage this team is at on a weekly basis due to mediocre to bad coaching. Whether it's a lack of X and O's or the situational football instances that Garrett just can't ever seem to get right, it's clear for all to see that this isn't something that Garrett is ever going to improve upon.

He is what he is and Jones is realizing that.

However, as you said, he'd rather just deal with it than to actually put himself in the uncomfortable position of having to concede control and do the other things that would come with hiring a real coach.

He'll probably try to pull another Dan Reeves type hire and bring in a consultant to help his golden boy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yep. This was from 2011 when Garrett was screwing up the clock management yet again at the end of a big game. Didn't matter.

Or maybe this was early enough in his "training" that Jerry thought he'd have learned better by now.
I don't know if Jerry thought he'd learn from those experiences or not, but if he did, then he's even more of an idiot that I thought because that should have been the first sign that Garrett has no business being a HC.

You don't learn from something like that nor should you. It's common sense, fundamental football that a 14 year old who plays Madden understands.

I truly am baffled that each and every time that these scenarios occur, Garrett is time and time again clueless on how to handle them. You don't have to be an NFL lifer to understand these basic instances of situational football. You're average Joe Fan knows what to do there, but Garrett completely shuts down mentally.

Running a play with 2:01 on the clock.

Leaving the Skins with 1:14 and two timeouts.

Not running the ball on neither 2nd or 3rd down after we'd already gotten into FG range, thereby leaving the Redskins with enough time to gain 15 yards and try a FG of their own had Bailey missed.

The guy is just lost in these situations no matter how many times he sees them, and I honestly cannot understand how this can be. He's been a part of football in one form or another for most of his life and yet the guy approaches the game as if he's just learning it.

Unreal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Jerry Jones openly criticizes Jason Garrett and coaching staff following Monday night’s win

BY DREW DAVISON

Owner Jerry Jones wasn’t in an overly celebratory mood in the locker room after his Dallas Cowboys’ 19-16 victory over the Washington Redskins on Monday night.

Instead, Jones criticized coach Jason Garrett and his staff for not getting Dez Bryant more involved in the game plan early on and also the clock management at the end of the game, saying the Cowboys “won on will, not tactical mastery.”

Jones went on to express his disappointment that the coaching staff wasn’t able to figure out a way to win without quarterback Tony Romo until Monday.

“I am stunned that we haven’t been able to win more games without Tony,” said Jones, who signed Garrett to a five-year, $30 million extension last offseason.

“And I would have thought that we could have coached it up enough, and put it together enough, that we would not have lost those games without Romo early. We would be in better shape than we are right now.”

Jones is referring to the horrid NFC East, of course, that is wide open. Jones liked seeing the Cowboys win, but must have been playing the "what if" game in his head. If the Cowboys could have even gone 2-5 without Romo, they would be leading the division with four to play.

But they didn’t, Brandon Weeden going 0-3 and Matt Cassel 0-4. Cassel eventually broke the dubious backup quarterback winless streak on Monday, although there were factors other than Cassel’s play to cite.

Still, a win is a win and Jones is happy that his team is still in the hunt.

But it’s the first time this season that he’s openly questioned Garrett and the coaching staff.

After all, this is a division that the Cowboys could easily be leading. For Jones, he doesn’t look at the season as the Cowboys being one game out of the division lead. He looks at it as a 4-8 year.

“I look at it as 4-8 and won’t look at it any differently as we move up the ladder until something really special happens,” Jones said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article48704440.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am honestly stunned that Jerry is looking at it this way.

"Won on will not tactical mastery" is particularly poignant, because it's been a hallmark of garrett's tenure. I hope Jerry realizes that this has been the rule rather than the exception.

I've long said that good coaches are more successful than Garrett has been when they have QBs of Romo's caliber. And now we see how lost Garrett is without a borderline HOFer under center.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yes. Even leaving aside Garrett's obvious lack of "tactical mastery", I'm shocked but very happy that Jerry seems to be saying that the rest of the division being horrible doesn't give us a pass for being 4-8.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

"Won on will not tactical mastery" is particularly poignant, because it's been a hallmark of garrett's tenure. I hope Jerry realizes that this has been the rule rather than the exception.

I've long said that good coaches are more successful than Garrett has been when they have QBs of Romo's caliber. And now we see how lost Garrett is without a borderline HOFer under center.
Coming off a win and one game out of the leading the division I would have expected sunshine out of Jerry. If for no other reason he is trying to sell tickets and make money. I'm both surprised and pleased with Jerry right now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I consider this twice repeated. The Jones' have already been quoted as saying "0-7 without Romo is unacceptable"-- and you know they weren't talking about themselves.

This "not tactical mastery" comment is further indictment of Garrett, flat out setting him up as this year's scapegoat.

They need one every year. After 2011 it was Newman. After 2012 it was Ryan, Garrett's playcalling, and even Romo implying Eli was the difference between Dallas and NY. After 2013 it was Callahan. In 2014 they thought they were a hair away from Superbowl 50 in 2015.

No one named Jones has ever made it to the woodshed, only into the war room.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I consider this twice repeated. The Jones' have already been quoted as saying "0-7 without Romo is unacceptable"-- and you know they weren't talking about themselves.

This "not tactical mastery" comment is further indictment of Garrett, flat out setting him up as this year's scapegoat.

They need one every year. After 2011 it was Newman. After 2012 it was Ryan, Garrett's playcalling, and even Romo implying Eli was the difference between Dallas and NY. After 2013 it was Callahan. In 2014 they thought they were a hair away from Superbowl 50 in 2015.

Just stop. He is not firing Garrett or setting him up as scapegoat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Coming off a win and one game out of the leading the division I would have expected sunshine out of Jerry. If for no other reason he is trying to sell tickets and make money. I'm both surprised and pleased with Jerry right now.
Feh. He is just weeks away from full on Man In The Mirror mode.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I

Isn't it the job of the general manager to decide when the head coach is failing at his job and fire him? Your posts confuse the shit out of me at times.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Isn't it the job of the general manager to decide when the head coach is failing at his job and fire him? Your posts confuse the shit out of me at times.
It's also the owner's job to decide where the GM is failing and fire him. I'm just saying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's also the owner's job to decide where the GM is failing and fire him. I'm just saying.
So is he saying that Garrett isn't failing at his job? Calling him a scapegoat as though Garrett isn't a problem at all?

The post I guess is all about Jerry failing as an owner then for not firing himself. But that doesn't in anyway exonerate Garrett for what he has done.

Top Bottom