2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Probably right, but I think they'll get the nod over OU because they are the defending NC.

FSU was clearly not one of the 4 best teams in college football last year, but they got the benefit of the doubt because they were the defending NC. Granted, they were undefeated, but still....I think the same line of thinking will apply here.

Oklahoma looks like the better team to most, but when they have to decide between two conference champions with one loss, my guess is they'll choose to give the spot to the defending NC.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if it didn't turn out this way.
Defending national champs means squat for this season. That's last year's prom.

Carp

DCC 4Life
USC will regret hiring Helton. They should have gone outside the family and went for a name guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Defending national champs means squat for this season. That's last year's prom.
It helped FSU out last year when everyone knew they weren't one of the 4 best teams in the country.

Heck, they probably weren't one of the 6 best teams in the country, but their status as the defending NC helped them.

D

Deuce

Supposedly will interview at Maryland.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It helped FSU out last year when everyone knew they weren't one of the 4 best teams in the country.

Heck, they probably weren't one of the 6 best teams in the country, but their status as the defending NC helped them.
They were undefeated. No one could question how good or bad they really were.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Probably right, but I think they'll get the nod over OU because they are the defending NC.

FSU was clearly not one of the 4 best teams in college football last year, but they got the benefit of the doubt because they were the defending NC. Granted, they were undefeated, but still....I think the same line of thinking will apply here.

Oklahoma looks like the better team to most, but when they have to decide between two conference champions with one loss, my guess is they'll choose to give the spot to the defending NC.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if it didn't turn out this way.
Ohio State has no shot at winning the BIG 10. It's Iowa vs. Mich State in the title game.

So unless something extremely out of the ordinary happens, Ohio State is SOL.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
At least Tennessee is moving in the right direction. 8-4 with an OT loss to Oklahoma, 5 point loss to Bama and 1 pt loss to UF in final minute. So close to 10-2 or 11-1. Hopefully they take the next step next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ohio State has no shot at winning the BIG 10. It's Iowa vs. Mich State in the title game.

To be fair though, what's the difference between not winning the Big Ten and not having a title game at all? Now Oklahoma has the better resume so I'm not trying to say they deserve to get in over Oklahoma but if you don't play this up coming weekend I think you should all be treated the same. On the other hand, if you play in a title game don't you deserve a bump? You're playing an extra game which opens up the potential for an extra loss. Not only that but it's a game against a top ranked team. Does Oklahoma deserve the playoffs more then another team simply because the Big 12 is calling them their champion?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Oh, that's right.

In that case, you should be good over them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To be fair though, what's the difference between not winning the Big Ten and not having a title game at all? Now Oklahoma has the better resume so I'm not trying to say they deserve to get in over Oklahoma but if you don't play this up coming weekend I think you should all be treated the same. On the other hand, if you play in a title game don't you deserve a bump? You're playing an extra game which opens up the potential for an extra loss. Not only that but it's a game against a top ranked team. Does Oklahoma deserve the playoffs more then another team simply because the Big 12 is calling them their champion?
I said last year that one of the first steps that the NCAA should take in order to do a better job of getting the right teams into the playoffs is to have everyone playing under the same structure.

In other words, if one conference plays a conference championship game, then they should all play one.

There shouldn't be teams that play 12 games a season, and another that plays 11, etc.

Make all the teams play the same type of schedule so as to remove as much of the unnecessary clutter as possible.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said last year that one of the first steps that the NCAA should take in order to do a better job of getting the right teams into the playoffs is to have everyone playing under the same structure.

In other words, if one conference plays a conference championship game, then they should all play one.

There shouldn't be teams that play 12 games a season, and another that plays 11, etc.

Make all the teams play the same type of schedule so as to remove as much of the unnecessary clutter as possible.
I totally agree with this. I know that Big 12 teams don't want their lack of a championship game to hurt their playoff chances but it absolutely should. In the same manor that the UNC is hurt by scheduling more then 1 FCS school.

I think that's part of the reason why the playoff committee held the Big 12 out of the playoffs last year. As sort of a punishment for not having a championship game. It's not going to happen again this year but I think the playoff committee certainly would prefer everyone to have that championship game.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'd say the primary difference is everyone in the Big 12 plays each other, unlike in other conferences. If Iowa had to play MSU, OSU, and MU during the regular season they likely aren't undefeated.

SEC East teams catch a break since there aren't any elite teams in that division. They have this weird schedule setup where they play the same team from the other division every year. Therefore some teams like FL never have to play Alabama in the regular season.

So it goes both ways.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Also, the Big 12 has been on the other side of the argument for several years. Before the conference was torn apart a few years ago by realignment we had a CCG whereas the Big 10 and PAC 10 didn't have title games. And I don't recall any of their fans arguing that their conference should be dinged for not having a title game. But now it's an issue. Funny how that works.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, the Big 12 has been on the other side of the argument for several years. Before the conference was torn apart a few years ago by realignment we had a CCG whereas the Big 10 and PAC 10 didn't have title games. And I don't recall any of their fans arguing that their conference should be dinged for not having a title game. But now it's an issue. Funny how that works.
Well to be fair it was a different discussion before the playoff system and a totally different method for selecting a team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say the primary difference is everyone in the Big 12 plays each other, unlike in other conferences. If Iowa had to play MSU, OSU, and MU during the regular season they likely aren't undefeated.

If they play the same number of major conference teams what's really the difference though?

D

Deuce

UCF hires Oregon OC Scott Frost as HC.

Florida speed + Oregon offense = bad things, man. bad things.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Georgia hired Lane Kiffin?

wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom