Cowboys' Jerry Jones: We don't have to draft QB in 2016

D

Deuce

The only thing is, you want the owner/GM to say this even if you want to draft a QB there. No sense in announcing our plans.
This is true, but often times Jerry does all but announce his plans. So this is disconcerting.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
This is true, but often times Jerry does all but announce his plans. So this is disconcerting.
Quit being so negative.

It has to start somewhere.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Counterpoint is Garrett being pretty complementary of Wentz at the senior bowl. Watch some team freak us out and they trade up to get him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Counterpoint is Garrett being pretty complementary of Wentz at the senior bowl. Watch some team freak us out and they trade up to get him.
The Cowboys website has a facebook page that posts a lot of things from the Senior Bowl. What I have noticed is almost everything they post is talking about just a few players. Wentz, Braxton Miller and Kenneth Dixon are the three that I noticed the most. It might not mean anything but I'm guessing these will be three guys the Cowboys are highly interested in.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It'll go one of two ways, we freak and give up the ranch to trade up...or we don't take one at all.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Only to have Jerry and Co. shit the bed again because they wouldn't have a plan in place to go in a different direction if something like that happens.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The Cowboys website has a facebook page that posts a lot of things from the Senior Bowl. What I have noticed is almost everything they post is talking about just a few players. Wentz, Braxton Miller and Kenneth Dixon are the three that I noticed the most. It might not mean anything but I'm guessing these will be three guys the Cowboys are highly interested in.
Miller can't play QB for shit, but he's an amazing athlete. I see him playing a role similar to what Percy Harvin played.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miller can't play QB for shit, but he's an amazing athlete. I see him playing a role similar to what Percy Harvin played.
I think he has way more potential then Harvin at WR though. Bigger and better hands. When you see him playing reciever it looks very natural.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Braxton still has learning to do at the WR position but made some amazing plays this year. I think he only gets better with time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What do you consider trading up? I think Wentz will be available at #4. Either you think he will already be gone by 4 or you don't think he is worth being #4.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I think he has way more potential then Harvin at WR though. Bigger and better hands. When you see him playing reciever it looks very natural.
I completely agree. He's also an incredibly elusive player. I think he'd be an interesting addition to the offense.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
What do you consider trading up? I think Wentz will be available at #4. Either you think he will already be gone by 4 or you don't think he is worth being #4.
Trading up at all would be stupid in my opinion but I could see Jerry outsmarting himself if they decide that Wentz is the second coming of Peyton Manning. I would jump at him or Goff at 4. At this point I think I would be ok with Lynch at 4 also but at the moment I would rank them Wentz, Goff then Lynch. I was astounded when we traded up for Claiborne. I don't think the two spots ahead of us were going to take him and other options would have been available. At the time I preferred Mark Barron though he hasn't exactly panned out either but it seemed like an unnecessary desperation move at the time.

I'm beyond believing that this franchise acts logically. No scenario would surprise me at this point. I could see them trade up or down, stayput and draft a QB,stay put and draft a defensive player, whatever.

My personal opinion is stay put and take the best of the 3 QBs available.I'm just concerned that Jerry is buying into the "romo can play 3-4 more years" drivel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Trading up at all would be stupid in my opinion but I could see Jerry outsmarting himself if they decide that Wentz is the second coming of Peyton Manning. I would jump at him or Goff at 4. At this point I think I would be ok with Lynch at 4 also but at the moment I would rank them Wentz, Goff then Lynch. I was astounded when we traded up for Claiborne. I don't think the two spots ahead of us were going to take him and other options would have been available. At the time I preferred Mark Barron though he hasn't exactly panned out either but it seemed like an unnecessary desperation move at the time.

I'm beyond believing that this franchise acts logically. No scenario would surprise me at this point. I could see them trade up or down, stayput and draft a QB,stay put and draft a defensive player, whatever.

My personal opinion is stay put and take the best of the 3 QBs available.I'm just concerned that Jerry is buying into the "romo can play 3-4 more years" drivel
I think most of us are concerned about passing on a QB this draft but that's a different scenario than trading up concerns.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I think most of us are concerned about passing on a QB this draft but that's a different scenario than trading up concerns.
My nightmare is that we trade up in round one. A scenario like, the browns call and say they are going to take Wentz if we don't trade with them and we do it. I don't think it should happen but history has shown Jerry do things none of us thought should be done.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My nightmare is that we trade up in round one. A scenario like, the browns call and say they are going to take Wentz if we don't trade with them and we do it. I don't think it should happen but history has shown Jerry do things none of us thought should be done.
If Wentz isn't there Goff should be. I think one or the other will be available at # 4.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is kind of my fear as well. I think the Cowboys are probably very high on Wentz. He is the type of QB in history that Jerry falls in love with. Big, tall and with a cannon arm. I just don't know that our team and scouts will appreciate Goff the way they should. His physical tools remind me a lot of Aaron Rodgers.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is kind of my fear as well. I think the Cowboys are probably very high on Wentz. He is the type of QB in history that Jerry falls in love with. Big, tall and with a cannon arm. I just don't know that our team and scouts will appreciate Goff the way they should. His physical tools remind me a lot of Aaron Rodgers.
The Cowboys can have Romo as well as Wentz. Somehow I think that option will weigh pretty heavy. Griffin has injuries issues and Manziel has player and off field problems. Anyone with half a brain should be able to spread these choices and pick the obvious one. I am betting on the organization getting this one right this time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Cowboys can have Romo as well as Wentz. Somehow I think that option will weigh pretty heavy. Griffin has injuries issues and Manziel has player and off field problems. Anyone with half a brain should be able to spread these choices and pick the obvious one. I am betting on the organization getting this one right this time.
Never underestimate Jerry's half of brain.

Top Bottom