JPP severely injures hand in fireworks accident

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This is not related to JPP but is a fireworks "accident". Admins, feel free to move it elsewhere if you are compelled:

CALAIS, Maine, July 5 (UPI) -- Maine saw its first firework-related death this holiday weekend since legalizing the pyrotechnic toys two years ago, news media reported Sunday.

Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland told reporters that Devon Staples died instantly Saturday night after lighting a mortar tube firework from the top of his head during Fourth of July celebrations.

"I was the first one who got there," Devon's brother Cody said. "There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there."

Staples, 22, had reportedly been drinking with friends and setting off fireworks when the accident occurred around 10 p.m. EDT in the town of Calais. His death is the first of its kind recorded since Maine made fireworks legal in March 2012, according to officials.

"It was a freak accident ... But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid," Cody said. "He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh."

Cody Staples described his brother as a kind-hearted person who always tried to make a positive impact on people's lives.

"Anyone who would want to give a tribute to Devon should go out and do something nice for someone. Show some love to someone you don't know. That kid was all about showing people love," he said, adding that Devon loved his occupation as a dog walker -- and aspired to make a difference in the lives of people who had pets with problems.

"He was someone everyone should want to be like when they grow up," Cody said. "He was my younger brother and I looked up to him."

A June 2014 study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission tallied 94 fireworks-related deaths in the United States between 2000 and 2013, with eight occurring in 2013.

The incident joins several non-fatal firework-related accidents across Maine for this year's holiday, including burns and eye injuries in Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon, Woodstock and another accident in Calais.

In Colorado, nine people were injured Saturday after a malfunction caused exploding fireworks shells to launch into a crowd rather than the sky.
-------------------------------------

:dunce

dallen

Senior Tech
> But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid," Cody said.

uh....

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Giants reportedly withdraw $60 million contract offer to Jason Pierre-Paul

By James Brady
@JamesBradySBN on Jul 6, 2015, 1:23p

The Giants pulled a long-term contract offer to their star defender in the wake of his hand injury stemming from a fireworks accident.

The New York Giants are withdrawing a long-term, $60 million contract offer made to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. Pierre-Paul severely injured his hand in a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July, making his immediate and long-term future with the team uncertain.

This is a contract offer that's likely been on the table for some time as the two sides work to avoid Pierre-Paul playing on the $14.8 million franchise tender that has been extended to him. Pierre-Paul has not yet signed the tender and thus, the 26-year-old wasn't officially under contract when the incident occurred. There's been no talk about the Giants rescinding the franchise tag at this stage, a move that would make Pierre-Paul a free agent.

Pierre-Paul wasn't planning on signing the $60 million deal, according to the report. The deadline to sign an extension before Pierre-Paul is forced to play on the franchise tag is July 15, and it's likely the two sides would have kept negotiating a long-term deal leading up to that date. With the injury being so recent, the Giants don't have all the information they need to keep that kind of deal out there.

Pierre-Paul is coming off a renaissance 2014 season. He led the Giants with 12.5 sacks in 16 games after recording just 8.5 total sacks in 2012 and 2013 combined. He also had a career-high three forced fumbles. The Giants liked Pierre-Paul well enough to make him one of the highest-paid players on the team for next season, but his long-term future with the Giants remains a question mark.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
It was a pretty low contract offer for someone who is supposedly a "franchise" player. I don't think the Giants really want to sign him long term for fear that he will stop working.
And, now he will be getting even less. That's what so funny about it.

data

Forbes #1
For onside kicks, he won't be on the Hands team anymore /Boberts.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Would be rather ironic if we outlawed a symbol of celebrating our nation's independence.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
That looks like me wrestling with my 10 year old

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd offer JPP multiple high fives.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Give the guy a hand, he didn't give up.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I remember when we drafted Tyron Smith. It was said that his weakness was that he was a finesse player that lacked strength.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I remember when we drafted Tyron Smith. It was said that his weakness was that he was a finesse player that lacked strength.
He played underweight at USC, he was living off campus and the NCAA didn't allow more than one student meal a day for him. Once he got NFL nutrition he filled out his frame quick.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:picard

Another NFL player injured in a fireworks accident:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson injured his hand during a fireworks accident last weekend, agent Joel Turner confirmed to ESPN.

Turner declined to discuss specifics of the injury and referred all further questions about Wilson's situation to the Buccaneers, but a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder that the injury was "significant."

The Lincoln Times-News in Wilson's hometown of Lincolnton, North Carolina, reported that Wilson lost two fingers in the incident. The newspaper cited sources close to the family who said the incident occurred at Wilson's home in Lincolnton, where family members and friends were present.

"We are aware that C.J. was involved in an accident that occurred over the July 4th holiday," the team said in a statement. "It is our understanding that the injury occurred to one of his hands, and our primary concern at this moment is for his long-term health. We have been in contact with C.J. and are continuing to monitor the situation."

Wilson, 25, is the second NFL player to suffer injuries due to a fireworks accident over the Fourth of July weekend.

Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul suffered hand injuries during a fireworks accident in Florida last weekend and remains in the hospital.

Wilson is in the final season of his two-year deal that carries a nonguaranteed base salary of $585,000 for the 2015 season.

He appeared in two games last season and was credited with four tackles.

ESPN.com's David Newton contributed to this report.

Top Bottom