Archer: A big day for Cowboys' special teams

Carp

DCC 4Life
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Jason Garrett loves to talk about the three phases of football almost as much as he does the process of winning.

In the Dallas Cowboys' 26-10 win against the Tennessee Titans, the third phase -- special teams -- played a large role in the team’s first win of the season.

Dan Bailey made field goals of 48, 44, 51 and 48 yards, extending his streak to 26 straight made attempts, which is tied for the second-longest streak in franchise history.

The return teams kept dangerous returners Leon Washington and Dexter McCluster in check.

Dwayne Harris' lone punt return was just 15 yards but it set up and important Bailey field goal at the end of the first half. Harris also helped set up the Cowboys’ third scoring drive by helping down a punt at the Tennessee 2.

Bruce Carter deflected a punt in the first quarter.

“Throughout the game special teams made a huge difference,” Garrett said.

Bailey has not missed a field goal try since a 56-yarder in Week 4 last year at San Diego. This was his 16th career game with at least three field goals, which is second most to Rafael Septien (21). It was his fourth game with four or more field goals, which tied Chris Boniol for the most in team history.

“I only had a side view of them, but they look like they’re going right down the pipe,” Garrett said.

His kickoffs were either touchbacks or had enough hang time to keep Washington under wraps. He averaged just 11.7 yards per return.

“Going into this game we knew they had two really good returners on kickoff and punt, so that was kind of a challenge for us going in to make sure we minimized their day as much we could,” Bailey said.

Harris pinned the Titans at their 2 after fielding a Chris Jones punt at the goal line and flipping it to C.J. Spillman at the 2. The Titans were able to drive to their 21 before punting, giving the Cowboys good field position on their drive.

Perhaps the biggest situational play was Harris’ punt return late in the second quarter. With the defense forcing a three-and-out at the Tennessee 21, Harris’ 15-yard return gave the Cowboys the ball at the Titans' 48. Four plays later Bailey had a 51-yard field goal and the Cowboys had a 16-0 lead.

“Every time they kick me the ball and I can catch it my job is to get some yardage or take it to the house,” Harris said. “The first thing on my mind is scoring and everything after that is a plus.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Bailey has to be the best kicker in franchise history. Fucker just chipped all of them straight down the middle yesterday. All from 45+, too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bailey was money as always, but I love watching Harris on both sides of kickoffs. He is always around the ball. Just a lot of fun to watch.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
One thing I noticed...Spillman always seems to be in the mix for ST tackles. Nice add.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bailey was money as always, but I love watching Harris on both sides of kickoffs. He is always around the ball. Just a lot of fun to watch.
People always talk about Harris the returner but man he is good on the coverage units. It's funny special teams aces like Danny McCray were never that good on the coverage units.

p1_

DCC 4Life
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

Props to Bailey.

Harris is also elite IMO. Not just as a returner, but a coverage guy. Spillman is good. Even Heath made some plays.

Dramatic improvement from what we had with Neck Brace. STs is actually a real one of the three phases now.
I think our punter is pretty average, but that's all I can find fault with.

I just noticed the stat on Bailey, I attest to his awesomeness.

Last edited:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Boniol was a good one for awhile as well but Bailey has to be the best, most well rounded kicker we've ever had. Accuracy, distance, kickoffs, there's nothing he doesn't do well.

It's refreshing to not be playing musical chairs with kickers after doing it for years. I've worried so little about our place kicker that I almost forgot he's in his fourth season already.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Boniol was a good one for awhile as well but Bailey has to be the best, most well rounded kicker we've ever had. Accuracy, distance, kickoffs, there's nothing he doesn't do well.

It's refreshing to not be playing musical chairs with kickers after doing it for years. I've worried so little about our place kicker that I almost forgot he's in his fourth season already.
Didn't Boniol coach Bailey for a time?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Not only does he have the highest percentage of made FGs, he's the youngest guy on the list. :towel

Do you remember when Vanderjagt was on his way to Dallas and someone posted the 87% video? haha, what a frikkin crock of shit that drunken Canadian bastard ended up being. He was fucked in the head at that point.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Didn't Boniol coach Bailey for a time?
Yep. Boniol left after last season but I believe he became a ST coach in 2010. I think he may have run a kicking camp previously as well but I don't know if that's still the case.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I remember when people were bitching about us keeping him around on IR, my how times have changed.:lol

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I remember when people were bitching about us keeping him around on IR, my how times have changed.:lol
I think that was Forbath...not Bailey.
I might be wrong but I seem to remember we kept him around when he was hurt it might have been only training camp.
From IR to hurt only during training camp to might not even be the right guy.

Sounds like you don't remember shit.

:lol

Top Bottom