When Romo is completely healthy, who do you play?

When Romo is completely healthy, who do you play?

• Dak

Votes: 36 90.0%
  • Tony

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know the cap ramifications if Romo is traded in the offseason? I heard something along the lines of an ass-biting $20M dead money against the cap in 2017 but then savings of over $40M combined in 2018 & 2019. Not sure how accurate that is. If that is the case it would be a huge hit in 2017...maybe too big to overcome. But if they can weather it that is a substantial payoff down the road.

I highly doubt they even entertain the idea of trading a guy who is practically a member of the Jones family at this point, but if they do they should take what they can get from a draft pick standpoint and just be happy to move the future salary.
We actually save 5 mil against cap. So cutting him does not hurt us. It may be nearly 20 mil in dead space but that is irrelevant. All the really matter is the + or - to the cap by cutting him. (Because keeping him actually costs us 25 mil in cap).

Your savings in 2018 and 2019 is correct as well. What you're really saving is the base salary for Romo since all of the cap is accounted for, so you're saving right around 40 mil for those two years. You also save the base salary in 2017 which is 14 mil. So in total you save about 54 mil against the cap. Pretty significant number.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We actually save 5 mil against cap. So cutting him does not hurt us. It may be nearly 20 mil in dead space but that is irrelevant. All the really matter is the + or - to the cap by cutting him. (Because keeping him actually costs us 25 mil in cap).

Your savings in 2018 and 2019 is correct as well. What you're really saving is the base salary for Romo since all of the cap is accounted for, so you're saving right around 40 mil for those two years. You also save the base salary in 2017 which is 14 mil. So in total you save about 54 mil against the cap. Pretty significant number.
You said cutting. What about trading? Wouldn't the contract go with the player or is it different?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You said cutting. What about trading? Wouldn't the contract go with the player or is it different?
Trading is the same. Cutting you can actually save more for next season if you designate it as a "June First cut." Meaning you could save 15 mil against the cap next year if you do that. When you trade a player the base salary goes with them but you're responsible for the prorated bonus which is the dead money.

Rev

Staff member
Age, injury history, and money all impact each other. I just don't believe he is tradeable at least what most people are talking about (premium picks).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You were not the only person who was pro Beasley, plenty of people liked him. You probably remember booze being all DFDC about it all the time though.
What I remember is all the ballyhoo he received when he left the team for a short time to take care of some personal matters. There were several that thought he should stay away and called him a quitter ,etc.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Age, injury history, and money all impact each other. I just don't believe he is tradeable at least what most people are talking about (premium picks).
So if he isn't tradeable for premium picks, wouldn't you trade him for nonpremium picks? Certainly you wouldn't pay him 14 mil in base salary next year to be the backup?

I think you could be wrong though. Teams get funny and desperate when it comes to QBs and like many have pointed out, Romo has the ability to carry a pretty bad team. A coach whose job is on the line if he doesn't have a winning season would probably love to have Romo.

Rev

Staff member
So if he isn't tradeable for premium picks, wouldn't you trade him for nonpremium picks? Certainly you wouldn't pay him 14 mil in base salary next year to be the backup?

I think you could be wrong though. Teams get funny and desperate when it comes to QBs and like many have pointed out, Romo has the ability to carry a pretty bad team. A coach whose job is on the line if he doesn't have a winning season would probably love to have Romo.
If he didn't have the injury issues then I could see other teams trading for him without any issues. Then again if he didn't have injury issues we wouldn't be talking about this anyways.

I just can't see how any GM would trade for an older, injured, QB with a contract that he has.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That is debatable but all it take is one owner with stars in his eyes.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I did not vote because we do not know what is going to be happening with the team when Romo is completely healthy and READY to return.

That being said... I love me some Dak! There is no way, if this team is rolling the way it has, that you can bench him. What I admire most about him is what the other players are actually saying about him: that he has total command of the offense, he sets the tone in the huddle, corrects them when they're doing something wrong, and (IMO, most importanty), he chides them when they screw up.

When a player admits publicly that their QB has called them out for doing something that they should not have, it shows that they have a high level of respect for him. Irvin has said as much about Aikman, and now I have heard both Dez and Butler say it as well about Dak.

It has been mentioned before, Dak is a natural leader... and while Romo does have complete command of this offense (in that he can operate it with a high degree of efficiency and accuracy), He severely lacks the intangibles of what really makes a true franchise QB.

I am glad we do/will have Romo at our disposal (for at least another year) because should Dak faulter or get injured, Tony will be able to step in without very much interruption in the offense's performance. Defensive coordinators around the league are not stupid, I very highly doubt that if, for whatever reason, Romo is back under center that they will automatically stack the box and dare him to throw the ball.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Defensive coordinators around the league are not stupid, I very highly doubt that if, for whatever reason, Romo is back under center that they will automatically stack the box and dare him to throw the ball.
No, they will do whatever they can force Romo to stand in the pocket and deliver on passing downs and situations. Knowing that Doug free will provide the opportunity to re-injure Tony. They will have one mission: to force Tony's retirement.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he didn't have the injury issues then I could see other teams trading for him without any issues. Then again if he didn't have injury issues we wouldn't be talking about this anyways.

I just can't see how any GM would trade for an older, injured, QB with a contract that he has.
14 mil for a starting QB next year? I don't think that is some sort of a massive contract. I mean you trade for him because you need a franchise QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Defensive coordinators around the league are not stupid, I very highly doubt that if, for whatever reason, Romo is back under center that they will automatically stack the box and dare him to throw the ball.
They won't stack the box, they will however blitz the shit out of him. Because Romo can't stand in there and take a hit while delivering the ball to torch them. And if you are able to hit him, odds are you injure him and he'll still try to play through it.

Rev

Staff member
14 mil for a starting QB next year? I don't think that is some sort of a massive contract. I mean you trade for him because you need a franchise QB.
So you are saying that he is going to be healthy? If so then why dont we play him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you are saying that he is going to be healthy? If so then why dont we play him?
He will be as healthy as he ever will be at the start of next season. And if we didn't have Dak we would play him. Hell he would be a starter next year in Dallas making all of that money if it wasn't for Dak. We just happen to have a better/younger option.

Rev

Staff member
He will be as healthy as he ever will be at the start of next season. And if we didn't have Dak we would play him. Hell he would be a starter next year in Dallas making all of that money if it wasn't for Dak. We just happen to have a better/younger option.
So 35 or 36? Havent played in 2 years. As healthy as "he ever will be" but has a long history of injuries. Even 14 million when you dont know how many games you will get is a lot. Premium picks?? I think the only owner that would do that is the one that already has him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So 35 or 36? Havent played in 2 years. As healthy as "he ever will be" but has a long history of injuries. Even 14 million when you dont know how many games you will get is a lot. Premium picks?? I think the only owner that would do that is the one that already has him.
Sam Bradford sucked, never won games and was just as injury prone. He garnered a first round pick by a team who don't even need him long term.

If we didn't have Dak would you think the Cowboys would be dumb for keeping Romo next year?

Rev

Staff member
Sam Bradford sucked, never won games and was just as injury prone. He garnered a first round pick by a team who don't even need him long term.

If we didn't have Dak would you think the Cowboys would be dumb for keeping Romo next year?
And we once got 6 picks and 5 players for Walker. Just because it happened once doesn't mean it's likely to happen again. Sure anything is possible but I will go with the odds that it won't happen for premium picks.

I have been wanting Dallas to address the QB position through the draft for a couple of years now. That was prior to a couple of back injuries.

hstour

Brand New Member
Trading is the same. Cutting you can actually save more for next season if you designate it as a "June First cut." Meaning you could save 15 mil against the cap next year if you do that. When you trade a player the base salary goes with them but you're responsible for the prorated bonus which is the dead money.
Actually the savings after this year is $5M or $14M, pre-June 1 vs post June 1

http://overthecap.com/player/tony-romo/145/

Top Bottom