Am I Being Realistic

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't implying he was demoted in Detroit, I was implying he threw the ball a ton in Detroit.

I was saying he would have done the same here and likely faced the same fallout Callahan received for throwing a ton here.
Callahan didn't receive fallout for throwing here. He got demoted because Garrett didn't like Callahan's promotion to OC in the first place. Garrett inserted himself between the booth and the QB even before the team admitted Callahan wasn't calling plays. Linehan is Garrett's buddy and runs the same system so he's getting a lot more trust than some random WCO guy that came here kind of out of nowhere.

Also, Linehan did make the playoffs with a doofus HC in 2011 in Detroit. Here's hoping he can do it again.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Some guys are just better play callers then others. When you watch our offense this year one play seems to set up another. There is just more of a flow to what we are doing. Another offensive coordinator can take the same exact set of plays and look like shit.
With all of this stuff about Randle, why is Dunbar getting a pass? He's averaged 2.5 YPC behind this line? F that guy, get him off the team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Callahan didn't receive fallout for throwing here.
Of course he did.

He got demoted because Garrett didn't like Callahan's promotion to OC in the first place. Garrett inserted himself between the booth and the QB even before the team admitted Callahan wasn't calling plays. Linehan is Garrett's buddy and runs the same system so he's getting a lot more trust than some random WCO guy that came here kind of out of nowhere.
I seriously doubt he would have got demoted if we were making the playoffs. Which is the point... Callahan threw the ball a ton.... it didn't work very well.... we didn't win.... he got demoted.

I actually don't care about arguing whether or not Linehan "would have been demoted or not if he was in Dallas in 2011" -- the point is, I already know that Linehan throws a lot when he doesn't have a dominant OL. Just like I know Garrett and Callahan throw a lot when they don't.

I also know that when Garrett had a half decent OL like back in 2007-2008, he ran the ball significantly more.

I'm glad we're getting to a point now where no one will be able to credibly argue anymore the stupid stuff I've heard on here like "He's doing it to pad Romo's stats," or "He refuses to make Romo run the ball" or "He hates running the ball himself." Ooops... obviously he doesn't, or he'd still be putting the kibosh on the running game.

Also, Linehan did make the playoffs with a doofus HC in 2011 in Detroit. Here's hoping he can do it again.
Yes, let's hope. :art

Smitty

DCC 4Life
With all of this stuff about Randle, why is Dunbar getting a pass? He's averaged 2.5 YPC behind this line? F that guy, get him off the team.
I'm willing to wait to see if he can keep getting plays like against the Saints.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not trying to defend that. It's meaningless to my point, which is, Garrett, like Linehan after him, is a product of the personnel, and actually -- despite what people like you have claimed, is not averse to running the ball when he knows it can work.
This is where your argument falls apart. 5.3 YPC last year.

when he knows it can work

It worked.

Debate over.

Cotton

Staff member
Callahan didn't receive fallout for throwing here. He got demoted because Garrett didn't like Callahan's promotion to OC in the first place. Garrett inserted himself between the booth and the QB even before the team admitted Callahan wasn't calling plays. Linehan is Garrett's buddy and runs the same system so he's getting a lot more trust than some random WCO guy that came here kind of out of nowhere.

He's getting a lot more trust because it's working and there is no way Garrett can pull out and look even halfway humble at this point. He has to stick with it because it's working very well. Garrett was the bane of this offense for years, and trying to defend it is stupid. Enter Smitty.

Cotton

Staff member
Of course he did.

I seriously doubt he would have got demoted if we were making the playoffs. Which is the point... Callahan threw the ball a ton.... it didn't work very well.... we didn't win.... he got demoted.

I actually don't care about arguing whether or not Linehan "would have been demoted or not if he was in Dallas in 2011" -- the point is, I already know that Linehan throws a lot when he doesn't have a dominant OL. Just like I know Garrett and Callahan throw a lot when they don't.

I also know that when Garrett had a half decent OL like back in 2007-2008, he ran the ball significantly more.

I'm glad we're getting to a point now where no one will be able to credibly argue anymore the stupid stuff I've heard on here like "He's doing it to pad Romo's stats," or "He refuses to make Romo run the ball" or "He hates running the ball himself." Ooops... obviously he doesn't, or he'd still be putting the kibosh on the running game.

He can't. It's working too well for even him to stop it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
See what you started hs? Lord have mercy..

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Of course he did.

If Garrett could have gotten the offense to work by himself he should have done so last year, but he didn't and Linehan has done what he couldn't, so Garrett doesn't get the credit for it. You're basically saying Garrett would be doing what Linehan is doing if Linehan wasn't here. That's patently false. He has 6 years to get it done his way and he didn't. Linehan is getting the job done and he deserves the credit, not your boyfriend.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Linehan definitely has a much better flow to his playcalling.

How many times did everyone watch this team go 3 and out and only needing 2-3 yards for a first down? Garrett would get cute, and call stupid shit...whereas Linehan has called very safe plays/passes and runs to pick up critical 3rd downs.

He schooled Ryan the other night...kept the whole Saints D off balance. I don't think I've EVER seen Garrett do that in a game. Hell, my wife could guess the next plays the Cowboys were going to run during last seasons games.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett sucks
The one thing I will give Garrett credit for is he also realized he sucked and found someone who could cover his butt. Linehan has done that to this point so give the ginger man credit for that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

It worked.

Debate over.
It didn't work consistently in the first part of the year, and since it hadn't worked in 4 years prior, he did not know it could work at the time. It clearly took him time THROUGH the later parts of the year to catch on now.

Debate over.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Garrett could have gotten the offense to work by himself he should have done so last year, but he didn't and Linehan has done what he couldn't, so Garrett doesn't get the credit for it.
I'm not "giving him the credit" for anything, I'm saying exactly what everyone else was too upset to realize for years.... you can't run without an OL, now we have one, now we are running.

You're basically saying Garrett would be doing what Linehan is doing if Linehan wasn't here. That's patently false. He has 6 years to get it done his way and he didn't. Linehan is getting the job done and he deserves the credit, not your boyfriend.
The argument that Garrett would never run it would make more sense if he didn't actually run it decently back in 2007 and 2008 before the line fell apart.

We ALSO know that Linehan doesn't run it when he doesn't have the personnel.

Add up the facts. Linehan doesn't run when he doesn't have the personnel.... Garrett did run in the past when he did have the personnel.... now they both have the personnel and we are running it.... OMG ITS ALL LINEHAN.

Foolishness.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Linehan definitely has a much better flow to his playcalling.

How many times did everyone watch this team go 3 and out and only needing 2-3 yards for a first down? Garrett would get cute, and call stupid shit...whereas Linehan has called very safe plays/passes and runs to pick up critical 3rd downs.

He schooled Ryan the other night...kept the whole Saints D off balance. I don't think I've EVER seen Garrett do that in a game. Hell, my wife could guess the next plays the Cowboys were going to run during last seasons games.
I do like the flow to Linehan's gamecalling right now, so I'm not saying that is wrong, but some of the very same calls he's made I've seen people accuse Garrett of getting too cute about -- like pitches outside on third down, reverses to keep teams honest about the playfake, etc.

Everything is working right now for Linehan, things that did not work last season or the season before. The gap is probably not as wide as it currently seems due to personnel.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It didn't work consistently in the first part of the year, and since it hadn't worked in 4 years prior, he did not know it could work at the time. It clearly took him time THROUGH the later parts of the year to catch on now.

Debate over.
You know it never will be. Didn't work consistently at the beginning of the season so when it is working he goes away from it? Is that what you are trying to tell us?

hstour

Brand New Member

It worked.

Debate over.
The one caveat that I would make to the 5.3YPC argument would be in short yardage. Last year a consistent problem was on 2/3 and 1 the line could not impose its will on the defense and get that yard when the defense knew it was coming. So Garrett quit trying. The addition of Martin has resolved that.

Now I do think on the main argument that you are both right. It is a function of the line being continued to be built, but Linehan's commitment to the run where Garrett gave up on it is also a big part of it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
When we win the Super Bowl, I will believe Jerry when he says that any of 500 head coaches could have won it.

Top Bottom