Am I Being Realistic

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Some guys are just better play callers then others. When you watch our offense this year one play seems to set up another. There is just more of a flow to what we are doing. Another offensive coordinator can take the same exact set of plays and look like shit.
Linehan looks like the best natural play caller we've had since Norv.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I very much agree, Linehan and Garrett run the very same styles, right down to many of the same "cute" plays that everyone complains about when they don't work, except they've been working so far, for Linehan.

I'm sure some of it is the feel for situational playcalling, but a lot of it is also the fact that Linehan has the luxury of calling the same exact play 20 times against the Titans and they can't fucking stop it because of the OL.
Oh STFU. Garrett hasn't been able to do shit with a back averaging like 5.3 a carry. All of a sudden plays "can't be fucking stopped" even though those plays couldn't be stopped under Garrett and yet he went away from them?

Just stop.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Whoever it was, they decided it because our OL is dominating in run blocking.

I said over and over again that if we fixed the line, we'd see the running results follow. Linehan was no ground and pound proponent previously in Detroit; it's heavily personnel related.

And the argument that "we could run the ball last year" doesn't hold much water. For one.... not like this, we couldn't. For two, we are leaning on three 23 year olds with this approach right now. I don't fault it for taking a year for the philosophy to catch up with the personnel.
The OL was dominate, or at least very solid in run blocking last year. And?

Cotton

Staff member
If he was philosophically uninterested in the run we'd be rolling out a spread offense like NO or GB. I'm sure he intended to get back to the run every time he abandoned it, the way some people intend to get back on their diet after Christmas/New Years. We just needed a play caller with the discipline to actually do it.
Garrett's way over his head. As a head coach and even as an OC. He got lucky to latch onto Jerry's tit. It's as simple as that. If it weren't for Linehan, we would be looking at 2-2 at best. 1-3 more likely. I don't give a damn what anyone says, Linehan has made at least the first part of this season fun to watch. Let's hope Garrett and Jerry don't fuck that up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
5.3 YPC isn't dominating or very solid to you?
I said very clearly that I am not trying to excuse the inexcusable ignoring of the run in a game like the Packers (or Detroit for that matter), but that for four years prior we struggled very, very badly and actually were not able to run the ball, and that leaning on the run like we are currently doing, as a matter of philosophy, may have taken a season or a half season to catch up with the strength of the personnel, which was so bad for so long that it was not possible to run heavily for many years (frankly, I don't agree we were this good run blocking last year, not anywhere close IMO, but you could say it was better than in 2012 or 2011 I suppose).

Without commenting on whether or not Linehan is a better playcaller than Garrett (and keeping in mind that Linehan was pass happy in Detroit where the personnel was skewed towards passing), I have said FOR YEARS that if we fix the OL, the running results will follow; and presto! Here we are.

I guess I just got lucky.

This proves that all that nonsense that was spewed on this board about how Garrett doesn't want to run the ball was just that, nonsense.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I said very clearly that I am not trying to excuse the inexcusable ignoring of the run in a game like the Packers (or Detroit for that matter), but that for four years prior we struggled very, very badly and actually were not able to run the ball, and that leaning on the run like we are currently doing, as a matter of philosophy, may have taken a season or a half season to catch up with the strength of the personnel, which was so bad for so long that it was not possible to run heavily for many years.
That's just another way of saying he was too stupid to figure out the current strength of the personnel when everyone else saw it at the time. Being mentally half a season slower than the fanbase to figure out the strengths of your own team isn't an excuse, it's an indictment of how dumb he is as a coach.

Cotton

Staff member
I said very clearly that I am not trying to excuse the inexcusable ignoring of the run in a game like the Packers (or Detroit for that matter), but that for four years prior we struggled very, very badly and actually were not able to run the ball, and that leaning on the run like we are currently doing, as a matter of philosophy, may have taken a season or a half season to catch up with the strength of the personnel, which was so bad for so long that it was not possible to run heavily for many years (frankly, I don't agree we were this good run blocking last year, not anywhere close IMO, but you could say it was better than in 2012 or 2011 I suppose).

Without commenting on whether or not Linehan is a better playcaller than Garrett (and keeping in mind that Linehan was pass happy in Detroit where the personnel was skewed towards passing), I have said FOR YEARS that if we fix the OL, the running results will follow; and presto! Here we are.

I guess I just got lucky.

This proves that all that nonsense that was spewed on this board about how Garrett doesn't want to run the ball was just that, nonsense.
5.3 YPC. You can't argue against that. He went away from it all year. When his RB was averaging 5.3 YPC. Presto wasn't "what he was building" finally coming to fruition, it was a new OC that knows how to call a game, and get the team prepared for the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
5.3 YPC. You can't argue against that.
Actually, I just did.

Presto wasn't "what he was building" finally coming to fruition, it was a new OC that knows how to call a game, and get the team prepared for the game.
Not "what he was building."

The line. The offensive line sucked. Not surprisingly, we couldn't run the ball, and didn't.

Now, the line is good. All of a sudden, we can and are running the ball.

Just like I said would happen.

Head coach is still here..... the OC is running the head coach's offensive scheme. Garrett must be in favor of running the ball now that the OL is good.

"You can't argue against that."

By the way.... Linehan threw the ball a ridiculous amount up there in Detroit (2011 - 356 rushing attempts, 2012 - 391 rushing attempts) with a team that wasn't geared towards running the ball, so spare me this "it's a new OC who knows how to call a game." Really? How come he didn't know how to call a run play when he was in Detroit?

Oh.... he didn't have this OL, that's why.

Linehan is a product of his personnel right now. Just like Garrett was.

You can argue that Linehan is a better playcaller than Garrett and that might be true. However, that only explains about ten percent of the nonsense that has come out of your mouth on this subject about Garrett being responsible for the state of the running game, so, to quote you, "Just stop."

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By the way, I'm not arguing that Garrett is some super genius who deserves all the credit for engineering what we are doing right now.

He's also just a product of the personnel. Before, he didn't have the horses to run. Now he does.

Focusing in on some six game stretch late in the year last year is an outlier in the grand scheme of 4+ years of run blocking futility.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
mschmidt64 said:
Actually, I just did.

The line. The offensive line sucked. Not surprisingly, we couldn't run the ball
You have done shit to defend why Garrett got away from the 5.3 YPC from last year. All you have done it state that the running game sucked before last year. It didn't last year since 5.3 YPC doesn't suck. You have no point other than to defend your boy all the way to the end, even though Linehan has proven proof positive that Garrett's offense sucked.

Cotton

Staff member
By the way, I'm not arguing that Garrett is some super genius who deserves all the credit for engineering what we are doing right now.

He's also just a product of the personnel. Before, he didn't have the horses to run. Now he does.
5.3 YPC

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What it comes down to: If Linehan had been our OC last year we go 10-6 and make the playoffs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You have done shit to defend why Garrett got away from the 5.3 YPC from last year.
I'm not trying to defend that. It's meaningless to my point, which is, Garrett, like Linehan after him, is a product of the personnel, and actually -- despite what people like you have claimed, is not averse to running the ball when he knows it can work.

Yeah... he unreasonably abandoned the running game at key times like in the Packers game.... not arguing that, everyone knows it.

There is another point here, though, which you are either missing, or more likely, unwilling to acknowledge because it sinks your stupid "lulz Garrett is the worst" routine.

All you have done it state that the running game sucked before last year. It didn't last year since 5.3 YPC doesn't suck.
The line ended up with a 5.3 ypc last year overall, but was actually quite inconsistent early in the year. It wasn't till late in the year that it really started to click; hence, I am not making excuses for him ignoring it in those later games.

It is, however, understandable that it would take him a matter of time to trust it, even if it's not excusable in those specific instances.

You have no point other than to defend your boy all the way to the end, even though Linehan has proven proof positive that Garrett's offense sucked.
Well, Linehan is running Garrett's offense, so.... your point doesn't really make any sense.

Oh, Linehan is a better situational playcaller? Great.... still doesn't explain why Garrett would be allowing him to run the ball so much if he was against it. Still doesn't explain why Linehan only ran the ball 300-390 times in Detroit and is now on pace to have the best rushing attack in the league here.

You know what does explain it? Of course you do, because I've been telling you for years. :art

I look forward to your next stellar post consisting of some stat that doesn't even begin to address the nuances I have brought up in this post.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What it comes down to: If Linehan had been our OC last year we go 10-6 and make the playoffs.
Maybe.

What it also comes down to: If Linehan had been our OC in 2011 and 2012, we would have thrown the ball a shit ton just like we did, he would have been demoted like Callahan was, and we'd have been bitching about how Linehan doesn't run the ball.

How do I know this?

Because that's what actually happened. In Detroit. Where Linehan didn't have an excellent run blocking line to lean on.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Maybe.

What it also comes down to: If Linehan had been our OC in 2011 and 2012, we would have thrown the ball a shit ton just like we did, he would have been demoted like Callahan was, and we'd have been bitching about how Linehan doesn't run the ball.

How do I know this?

Because that's what actually happened. In Detroit. Where Linehan didn't have an excellent run blocking line to lean on.
When was Linehan demoted?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When was Linehan demoted?
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't implying he was demoted in Detroit, I was implying he threw the ball a ton in Detroit.

I was saying he would have done the same here and likely faced the same fallout Callahan received for throwing a ton here when it didn't work.

Top Bottom