Cowboys' defensive front seven the No. 1 goal to address in off-season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' defensive front seven the No. 1 goal to address in off-season, Stephen Jones says
Staff Reports
Published: 30 December 2013 02:50 PM
Updated: 30 December 2013 03:03 PM

Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday that he has a clear "number-one goal" for the off-season.

"I think our biggest challenge is to get a better roster. Get us to where we can compete better. I think it will start with our defensive front," Jones said on KRLD-FM 105.3. "We spent a lot of energy in the offensive line the last couple of years. I think we did some good there...obviously we'll turn our attention to the front seven with the injuries and obviously the cap situation that we have."

The Cowboys set a franchise record, allowing 6,645 yards this season. Opposing teams also scored 432 points in 16 games against the Cowboys, four shy of the franchise record. Injuries took a heavy toll on the Cowboys' defensive line and linebackers.

Restructuring defensive end DeMarcus Ware's contract will likely be a key issue for Dallas to address. Ware is scheduled to make $12.2 million in 2014 and has a salary cap hit of $16 million. He is one of the players the Cowboys go to every off-season to push money back to create more cap space in the upcoming year.
Free-agent-to-be defensive lineman Jason Hatcher creates another key off-season issue for Dallas, who's projected to be nearly $30 million over the salary cap heading into 2014.

"I think (Hatcher) had his best season as a pro," Jones said. "We would love to have Jason back but...we have obviously have to do what's best for the Cowboys."
As much as the 31-year-old has enjoyed playing in Dallas, don't expect him to take a pay cut to remain a Cowboy. Sitting at his locker late Sunday night, Hatcher said he will "absolutely not" allow the decision to become emotional.
"This is business," Hatcher said. "Emotions are out of it."
Does he think he'll be back next year?

"I don't know, man. My feelings are just, I'm numb right now," Hatcher said.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It really is funny how these dipshits don't start to realize that they should address areas until at least 2-3 years after we start begging for them to draft those particular areas.

It's like their default mode is to just waste picks on CB's and TE's until other areas become disasters and then we're forced to draft them out of pure need.

dallen

Senior Tech
Since it is now obvious to everyone else that we need to address the QB position, Jerry should reach the same conclusion next offseason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Since it is now obvious to everyone else that we need to address the QB position, Jerry should reach the same conclusion next offseason.
Nah, that's too soon. At earliest it will be 2 seasons from now.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It really is funny how these dipshits don't start to realize that they should address areas until at least 2-3 years after we start begging for them to draft those particular areas.

It's like their default mode is to just waste picks on CB's and TE's until other areas become disasters and then we're forced to draft them out of pure need.
sigh...this...

data

Forbes #1
I'm guessing we'll draft another CB that they scouted and ranked higher than Mel Renfro.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Several years ago the Giants were drafting pass rushers despite having the best pass rush in the league. Before that the Steelers drafted a couple of top LB's even though they had the top LB's in the league.

When we feel we are strong at certain positions, we draft special teams. It takes a position to become a glaring need for several years to the point of wrecking a season or two before we'll even take notice. It's unreal. I'd take over half the guys on here as GM over what we have now. Heck, make that 3/4's of the guys on here.

D

Deuce

2 years and 2 more back surgeries from now...

Goof son: We should probably start looking to address the QB situation.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
2 years and 2 more back surgeries from now...

Goof son: We should probably start looking to address the QB situation.
Last week Goof dad said it was way too early to start looking at taking a QB high in the draft. Even if Romo doesn't come back, I think we are just as capable of winning 7 or 8 games with Orton and missing the playoffs.

Should've been looking at QB's for a couple of years now. But probably wait til after Romo is long gone.

data

Forbes #1
Several years ago the Giants were drafting pass rushers despite having the best pass rush in the league. Before that the Steelers drafted a couple of top LB's even though they had the top LB's in the league.
Jerry was probably laughing at the Eagles when they picked Nick Foles.

"Nick Foles? WTH are the Eagles doing? Mike Vick's gonna play another 5 years. I'm gonna steal a TE right now!"

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

"Nick Foles? WTH are the Eagles doing? Mike Vick's gonna play another 5 years. I'm gonna steal a TE right now!"
What kills me is that the only thing Jerry learned from Parcells is to take a TE every year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

:lol

I don't think Foles is anyone special, but he was just good enough with a good coach to get the Eagles to the playoffs.

We have the Jer, though..waiting to draft and mine that missed diamond in the rough that's gonna win dat superbowl, baby.

data

Forbes #1
Should've been looking at QB's for a couple of years now. But probably wait til after Romo is long gone.
Jerruh's already scoured Triple A baseball with a fine toothed comb for our next QB. What else can you expect?!? The Fine-toothiest of combs. Could comb the lashes of a fruit fly.

~wink~

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerruh's already scoured Triple A baseball with a fine toothed comb for our next QB. What else can you expect?!? The Fine-toothiest of combs. Could comb the lashes of a fruit fly.

~wink~
I think that's why he gave Romo the longterm extension. He wouldn't have to worry about another QB search anytime soon and if asked could just refer to the commitment we have and $$$ tied up in Romo.

data

Forbes #1
Jones won't draft a 1st round QB. After the 1st round, Jerry's M.O. tends to include the "steal factor". Therefore, look for draft Prospects that have the following attributes:

1. Considered a blue chipper in 2012, but fell off in 2013 for some reason.
2. Considered a blue chipper, but stock slipped because of the injury prone label.
3. Reminds him of an early 90s Cowboy.
4. Has the potential of a blue chipper, but has only played football for 'x' amount of time.

When I research who Jerruh wants to draft, I read the 2013 lists for 'hot prospects for 2014' and then see who's no longer a predicted 1st rounder come 2014 draft time.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Don't worry guys we can fix the dline with rookie free agents and guys that are already on our roster. Just have some patience. It only took us 5-6 years to fix our oline.

Top Bottom