Ware clarifies pay cut comment: Will restructure deal to help will cap but will not t

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ware clarifies pay cut comment: Will restructure deal to help will cap but will not take less money

In the aftermath of the Cowboys' 24-22 season-ending loss to the Eagles Sunday night, defensive end DeMarcus Ware said he would consider taking a pay cut to help the team manage the salary cap.

Ware clarified those comment Monday.
"The question was with the salary cap stuff and everything, would you be able to maneuver some things in your contract," Ware said. "I said I’ll do what I need to do to help the team out. It’s nothing new to me. But pay cut and restructure are two different things. You hear what I’m saying. Clar-i-fy."

So you didn't say pay cut?

"No, I didn’t say that," Ware said. "I said I will do whatever I need to do to maneuver some things around to help the team out. I’m for that."
Ware is scheduled to make a base salary of $12.2 million next season including a $500,000 workout bonus. Ware's 2014 cap figure is $16 million.
The looming question is how much Ware is worth at this point. He had just six sacks in 2013, his fewest since his rookie year 2005.
Ware also battled elbow, quad and back injuries this year. He plans to have surgery to clean up issues with his elbow in the off season.
But he will be 32 next season and there is also a question of whether he has lost a step.

"Not at all. Not at all," Ware said. "Like going back into training camp, I felt better than I have in a long time. Then the little injuries happen with the quad and your elbow and your back so you sit back and think about what can I do now this off-season to make sure this doesn’t happen again, because I know exactly where I can be and how I can play. Injuries took a toll on me a lot this season. But that’s no excuse because I got out there and played. I’ve got to figure out some way to get healthy this off-season for next season."

Clarence Hill

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/12/ware-clarifies-pay-cut-comment-will-restructure-deal-to-help-will-cap-but-will-not-take-less-money.html#storylink=cpy

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Reduce his base salary by 7 million and give him a million bucks per sack over 15.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cut his ass.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Take the pay cut or GFY

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm a little sick of Ware and his bullshit performance.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Someone over at the zone brought up a good point about why Jerry will never cut Ware, it's the one thing he can point to(overruling Parcells on him) that shows he is a football guy.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
They'll extend his ass for another 5 years to get the salary cap relief. You watch!

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
even as over the hill as he is, ware can ask for a lot more, and jerry would pay it. he has to. ware is the dallas cowboy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
even as over the hill as he is, ware can ask for a lot more, and jerry would pay it. he has to. ware is the dallas cowboy.
No, he doesn't have to pay it, but he probably will.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting how he flopped after sleeping on it.

I guess his wife was "like are you out of your mind?"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They'll extend his ass for another 5 years to get the salary cap relief. You watch!
Not exactly. He knows he is a bank.

"Hello, Mr. Jones, welcome to the Bank of Ware, what can I do for you today?"

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Interesting how he flopped after sleeping on it.

I guess his wife was "like are you out of your mind?"
I'm sure his agent was flipping out trying to get ahold of him too

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Even if he does take a pay cut finding replacements for he and Spencer should be a top priority this offseason.

Those 15 sack years are long gone. From what I saw this year he's going to be back 6-8 sack per year guy from here on out.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm sure his agent was flipping out trying to get ahold of him too
I wouldn't take a pay cut either. It's not like Jerry would do anything smart with the money away.

Jerry and his son are supposedly brilliant businessmen but somehow this salary cap keeps kicking their ass.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I want to think that his presence still draws double teams, but teams don't do anything special with him anymore.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I want to think that his presence still draws double teams, but teams don't do anything special with him anymore.
They watch film and realize don't need to. The only hope is that he never fully recovered from his quad injury and that robbed him of some explosiveness that he can regain this offseason. That's probably wishful thinking though and, even if it turns out to be true, he seems like he might be at the point in his career where nagging injuries will be the norm. He most likely isn't going to be a 15+ sack guy again but they need him to at least give them 12. Even that may be asking too much.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Someone had said(think it was Broaddus) that Ware's constant stingers are nerve injury and he'll never get over them they'll just get worse

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I think he could be a great situational rusher, but his dominating days are long behind him.

Jerry should pay him like a situational guy, but we know he won't.

:dunce

Top Bottom