BBQ Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And, I will enjoy my ham and chicken for Thanksgiving. In a very American manner.

Maybe you shouldn't be looked down upon for this decision, but you shall.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I've read that maple is good with Turkey, but right now I only have access to hickory and pecan.

Going to make do this go-around but I'm looking forward to trying some maple pretty soon.
If you use hickory I'd just do it for a minimal amount as it can overpower poultry pretty easy, haven't used maple much since I don't see it around here often but think it'd be good for turkey

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If you use hickory I'd just do it for a minimal amount as it can overpower poultry pretty easy, haven't used maple much since I don't see it around here often but think it'd be good for turkey
I imagine you're probably right.

Plan on foiling it before it gets too dark, no matter what wood is used.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Processed three deer this weekend. Two buck and a doe. Ended up with over 300 lbs of processed (boneless) meat. Besides keeping steaks and roasts, my brother and I made four different kinds of brats. First year making them instead of ring sausage. They turned out really well. We are in the process of making about 25 lbs of different kinds of jerky and 20 lbs of pepperoni sticks. They're cut, mixed, and curing now. I'm also making some jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage, and some salami. We also made a bunch of loose breakfast sausage, and kept about 20 lbs apiece in burger. Butterflied a back strap and grilled it while butchering/processing. OMG good.

Holy crap that was a lot of work. Butchered them Friday night. Ground, mixed, and stuffed sausages Saturday. Did the jerky and sticks Sunday. I'm smoking the sticks and he's smoking the jerky tonight. Too much all at once for two guys. Next year, gonna split it up over a couple weekends.

Gonna grill a couple tenderloins tonight while the sticks are smoking.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The smoked turkey was a success. Didn't have time to brine, but it still turned out really juicy.

Made a rub with a couple sticks of butter, pepper, lots of fresh rosemary, and thyme. Stuffed it with lemon, apple, garlic, and a couple shallots.

Cooked the bird slowly at about 215, so it took right at 13 hours for the 16 pounder. Foiled it about 3/4 through the cook, and the hickory did not overpower it at all.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The smoked turkey was a success. Didn't have time to brine, but it still turned out really juicy.

Made a rub with a couple sticks of butter, pepper, lots of fresh rosemary, and thyme. Stuffed it with lemon, apple, garlic, and a couple shallots.

Cooked the bird slowly at about 215, so it took right at 13 hours for the 16 pounder. Foiled it about 3/4 through the cook, and the hickory did not overpower it at all.
I've never smoked a turkey. Gonna try one in the next few weeks. Probably after Christmas.

How long did you leave the smoke going?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I've never smoked a turkey. Gonna try one in the next few weeks. Probably after Christmas.

How long did you leave the smoke going?

I put the smoke to it for close to 9 hours before foiling and was worried that it was too much, but it was just right.

Also forgot to mention that I smoked it in a large foil pan and poured a couple coca-colas in to keep it moist.

It will probably be awhile before I fry turkey again...especially considering the cost of peanut oil.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Went to the market stocked up on processed meats and other food essentials. Was gone 45 minutes. All is in the pantry and freezer. :hattip

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Went to the market stocked up on processed meats and other food essentials. Was gone 45 minutes. All is in the pantry and freezer. :hattip

This is the BBQ thread.

Did you get sauce?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Processed three deer this weekend. Two buck and a doe. Ended up with over 300 lbs of processed (boneless) meat. Besides keeping steaks and roasts, my brother and I made four different kinds of brats. First year making them instead of ring sausage. They turned out really well. We are in the process of making about 25 lbs of different kinds of jerky and 20 lbs of pepperoni sticks. They're cut, mixed, and curing now. I'm also making some jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage, and some salami. We also made a bunch of loose breakfast sausage, and kept about 20 lbs apiece in burger. Butterflied a back strap and grilled it while butchering/processing. OMG good.

Holy crap that was a lot of work. Butchered them Friday night. Ground, mixed, and stuffed sausages Saturday. Did the jerky and sticks Sunday. I'm smoking the sticks and he's smoking the jerky tonight. Too much all at once for two guys. Next year, gonna split it up over a couple weekends.

Gonna grill a couple tenderloins tonight while the sticks are smoking.
I've never processed a deer, but have watched other folks. It seems like they must have wasted a lot of meat, though, because we've never gotten 100 pounds of meat from a deer.

I am interested in your deer cleaning ritual.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've never processed a deer, but have watched other folks. It seems like they must have wasted a lot of meat, though, because we've never gotten 100 pounds of meat from a deer.

I am interested in your deer cleaning ritual.
Well, some of that weight was from the pork trimmings. We cut our sausage at around 70/30.

The doe was pretty small. Only about half as big as the bucks. I'd say all in all, we ended up with around 240 lbs venison once everything was deboned and trimmed. Most people do not take the meat from the neck. You'd be surprised how much there is. I bet there is close to 8-10 lbs there. Only use it in you grind though, as it is tougher than the other cuts. Or whole muscle jerky.

Also, there is copious amounts of beer involved with processing a deer. That is non negotiable.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Well, some of that weight was from the pork trimmings. We cut our sausage at around 70/30.

The doe was pretty small. Only about half as big as the bucks. I'd say all in all, we ended up with around 240 lbs venison once everything was deboned and trimmed. Most people do not take the meat from the neck. You'd be surprised how much there is. I bet there is close to 8-10 lbs there. Only use it in you grind though, as it is tougher than the other cuts. Or whole muscle jerky.

Also, there is copious amounts of beer involved with processing a deer. That is non negotiable.
I have the beer part down, it's the details that are always fuzzy.

We've definitely never taken the neck meat, and I didn't realize you were including the pork so that clears it up.

Was afraid you were going to tell me how you process the lungs and intestines into your sausage.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I spatchcock smoked one turkey. It was freaking amazing and only took 1.75 hours.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I spatchcock smoked one turkey. It was freaking amazing and only took 1.75 hours.
I've done the last couple turkeys I've smoked that way too, don't think I'm ever going to smoke one whole again

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Did you lube it first, you sick bastid?

I read a little bit about the process, and will probably try it out next time.

Crazy that it's done in a couple hours.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I've done the last couple turkeys I've smoked that way too, don't think I'm ever going to smoke one whole again
This is how I always cook my chickens. Spread that bitch out and enjoy the moist bird.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Did you lube it first, you sick bastid?

I read a little bit about the process, and will probably try it out next time.

Crazy that it's done in a couple hours.
I brine mines wiff maple syrup and some spices. :ez

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Almost every time the legs are @185 and the breast @165. People are always cooking chicken/turkey too long. Bunch of dummies

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Almost every time the legs are @185 and the breast @165. People are always cooking chicken/turkey too long. Bunch of dummies

I've read that it's safe to take the breast at 150 and let the legs/thighs hit 165 if you plan on letting it sit for a bit.

I plan on trying that next time as well.

Hopefully we don't get the Sal Manillers.

Top Bottom