Archer: Cowboys could be open to safety play but fit matters

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys could be open to safety play but fit matters
2:30 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

With the draft fast approaching, the Dallas Cowboys have needs all across the board. Over the next two weeks we will offer up a position-by-position review of the roster and match up the best available in the draft at those positions.

SAFETY

On the roster
: Barry Church (signed through 2016), Byron Jones (signed through 2018), J.J. Wilcox (signed through 2016), Jeff Heath (signed through 2019)

Cap status: Church $4.75 million, Jones, $1.954 million, Wilcox $1.842 million, Heath $1.35 million

Best available in draft: Karl Joseph, Vonn Bell,

Down the line: Darian Thompson, Justin Simmons, Miles Killebrew

Position review: When the Cowboys drafted Jones in the first round last year they had it in their mind that he could play safety. By the end of his rookie season eh was a starter and appears to be set to play the position full-time in 2016.

He gives the Cowboys a dimension they have not had lately in how he can cover ground. His athleticism gives him a chance to go sideline to sideline. He is not afraid to tackle either.

Church is entering the final year of his deal and is a favorite of the coaches. He can play down in the box and is a decent tackler. He is reliable, but he can make some mistakes. Wilcox’s play dropped off last year after showing some promise in 2014. He is also in the final year of his deal and might find himself in a battle for a roster spot.

Heath just signed a four-year deal worth $7.67 million. He is their best special teamer, but the coaches believe he can be a contributor defensively. He led the Cowboys in interceptions last year with two. Heath receives way too much heat for what he is asked to do with fans stuck on what happened to him mostly as an undrafted rookie that had to play more than he was ready to play.

One possibility at safety in 2016 could be cornerback Terrance Mitchell. He doesn’t have top-end speed, but the Cowboys like his ability to be around the ball.

Draft need: MEDIUM/LOW: A pick here wouldn’t be so much about the present as it would be the future. Everybody wants an Earl Thomas type, and there aren’t very many of those around. The Cowboys view Jones as a safety and a cornerstone piece, so they would have to be blown away to take one early.

The safety scene: Some teams believe Jalen Ramsey is a safety, so he would be the best available. He was a playmaker in that spot in 2014. He is not afraid of contact. He can move. But would the Cowboys then move Jones back to corner?

Joseph has some medical concerns because of a knee injury he suffered in practice last fall, but he can destroy offenses. He is not the biggest player, but he hits and hits hard. Before his injury, he had five interceptions last year. There is concern over his frame for the long haul, but he could be special.

Thompson was a four-year starter and a playmaker with 19 interceptions, but he seems to gamble a little too much, which might scare off this staff. Simmons carries the traits with his athleticism. He played corner at Boston College as well and had eight interceptions. He might be worth taking a chance on to develop.

The best guess: It depends on whether you think Ramsey is a safety. The belief is that he would play cornerback for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have Church and Wilcox in the final years of their deals. They have Jones and Heath signed up for the future. The case can be made to add a safety, but that would likely require a roster move of some kind. The Cowboys don’t need to draft a safety, but they could go that route on the best-player available theory.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know I was late to the Karl Joseph bandwagon like most but man I really like him. That dude is just all over the place making plays. I doubt he is there for our second round pick but he would be an awesome player on the backend next to Jones. I think he could actually be a real difference maker at safety.

I'm also a big fan of Darian Thompson. Just a great deep center fielder safety with excellent instincts. Because of Byron Jones man coverage abilities he is going to naturally be moved up close to the line of scrimmage allowing a guy like Thompson to kind of roam and pick off deep balls.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The thought of Heath starting next year is making me sick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This quote "the coaches believe he can be a contributor defensively" is sickening.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This quote "the coaches believe he can be a contributor defensively" is sickening.
Heath receives way too much heat for what he is asked to do with fans stuck on what happened to him mostly as an undrafted rookie that had to play more than he was ready to play.
Pretty much.

While he isn't somebody you want to count on starting (we're not, btw) Heath didn't play nearly as bad as people carry on. He's a backup type player that every team has. Can he be upgraded? Sure. As can all bottom of the roster guys. But every team in the league has guys like him. Heath is far from a problem on this team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pretty much.

While he isn't somebody you want to count on starting (we're not, btw) Heath didn't play nearly as bad as people carry on. He's a backup type player that every team has. Can he be upgraded? Sure. As can all bottom of the roster guys. But every team in the league has guys like him. Heath is far from a problem on this team.
He tackles as well as anyone on the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much.

I hated Heath as much as anyone but last year he actually performed pretty solid. Obviously I think he would be exposed as a starter but he has actually changed my opinion on him as a backup this past season.

GShock

DCC 4Life
For all the Ramsey talk, if we could get Von Bell in the second, we'd get a lot better track record of production.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pretty much.

While true in a lot of ways he is not somebody I want starting. Now I know he most likely won't be but the thought that he could (and the team likes him evidently) is not appealing to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For all the Ramsey talk, if we could get Von Bell in the second, we'd get a lot better track record of production.
I had rather have William Jackson the third.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had rather have William Jackson the third.
I would be thrilled with William Jackson in the second round. I'm guessing he is gone in the first though. Guy ran a blazing 40 and was ultra productive in college. In back to back year he had some of the most pass breakups in college football. Additionally he had 5 picks last year. This is a guy who was actually tested by college QBs and succeeded.

Honestly he is exactly what I'm looking for in a college corner when I'm drafting. Honestly after a trade down in the first he would probably be on my radar as a possible pick.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Pretty much.

That's the issue I have, Heath is fine for a bottom of the roster try-hard guy but you should always be looking to upgrade that spot. Not locking it up for 4 years.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's the issue I have, Heath is fine for a bottom of the roster try-hard guy but you should always be looking to upgrade that spot. Not locking it up for 4 years.
He's not "locked up". If you find an upgrade, pull the trigger. His contract isn't an albatross that we can't get away from. He has a contract that fits what he provides. Ok back up with good special teams play.

Show me one single team that has their bottom of the roster guys playing on 1 year contracts.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if you find an upgrade, pull the trigger. His contract isn't an albatross that we can't get away from. He has a contract that fits what he provides. Ok back up with good special teams play.

Show me one single team that has their bottom of the roster guys playing on 1 year contracts.
Yeah for continuity sake you don't want those guys on one year contracts ever year. The second they do anything good they will bolt for another team.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
How far this front office has fallen. Jumping up and down celebrating Jeff Heath. Unreal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I know I was late to the Karl Joseph bandwagon like most but man I really like him. That dude is just all over the place making plays. I doubt he is there for our second round pick but he would be an awesome player on the backend next to Jones. I think he could actually be a real difference maker at safety.

I'm also a big fan of Darian Thompson. Just a great deep center fielder safety with excellent instincts. Because of Byron Jones man coverage abilities he is going to naturally be moved up close to the line of scrimmage allowing a guy like Thompson to kind of roam and pick off deep balls.
Between those two and Sean Davis, there is no excuse if we actually take upgrading seriously.

That would go a longer way towards fixing this defense than drafting Ramsey and then scratching our heads figuring out what he can do.

Top Bottom