Why I Can't Say 'Love the Sinner/Hate the Sin' Anymore

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Aside from that why don't you ask cotton who is on the receiving end of more judgement at churches - pastors or gays.

Cotton is a good reference about this. I think you can trust what he says since he isn't peddling anything. Being a pastor at a church brings about more scrutiny and judgement for the leaders and family members than you can imagine.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Aside from that why don't you ask cotton who is on the receiving end of more judgement at churches - pastors or gays.

Cotton is a good reference about this. I think you can trust what he says since he isn't peddling anything. Being a pastor at a church brings about more scrutiny and judgement for the leaders and family members than you can imagine.
It sure left a lot of hate in my heart for the church, I can tell you that. And, I am not one to normally hold grudges at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't hold grudges.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I agree entirely with the letter. To many Christians focus on the VA stand by he already posted here "love the sinner hate the sin". It allows them to separate themselves from others they look down on. All the while their lives have just as much sin in them but they don't say the same things about the sin in their own lives.
Not true. Just about every pastor I've heard preaching against homosexuality also speak against adultery among heterosexuals too. The difference is you don't have adulterer groups decrying it and claiming they were just born that way, etc.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Not true. Just about every pastor I've heard preaching against homosexuality also speak against adultery among heterosexuals too. The difference is you don't have adulterer groups decrying it and claiming they were just born that way, etc.
How come adulterers should be allowed to marry?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How come adulterers should be allowed to marry?
In a way they aren't, at least they aren't able to marry a second person while they are still married to the first. I don't see the point of that law either, but I think bigamy/polygamy is the analogous "adulterous marriage" in the context of it being a marriage based on adultery (rather than one that is based on monogamy and weakened by adultery).

Essentially, if you follow the logic of people who believe this, the homosexual marriage is itself sinful because it's a commitment to engage in a behavior the church sees as sinful. It's not the same as an alcoholic getting married or a glutton or a murderer because in those cases the marriage is unrelated to the sin. It's more, in their eyes, like an alcoholic marrying his booze or the glutton marrying his food or the murderer marrying his axe.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Blah blah blah... Same old "my sin is more acceptable than your sin because... Well it just is."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Blah blah blah... Same old "my sin is more acceptable than your sin because... Well it just is."
I think VA's point is that the reason gay people aren't allowed to marry isn't "punishment because they are gay" -- therefore you can't really say "Adulterers shouldn't be allowed to marry because they've sinned" doesn't really fly.

Christian protection of marriage stems from a pretty strict interpretation of what marriage is, according to their religion. It's pretty specific that the man joining the woman is reflective of Christ's role with the Church. Saying "Gay People should marry" to them is like saying "Jesus wasn't God." It flies in the face of basic religious tenants. If marriage isn't between a man and a woman, it's a violation of a lot of scripture.

Obviously that is a religious interpretation and doesn't necessarily mean that the secular world should have to abide by the Christian view of things.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
In logical terms it's not exactly that. In real life you're exactly right, and IMO the "just because" is because homosexuality feels very alien and confusing and hard to understand to most people. We're a lot more comfortable with sins we can relate to.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
At least you can admit it.
I get it because I used to be a lot more conservative than I am. The older you get, hopefully, the more you can recognize prejudices as immature and move past them.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'd say that everyone is more prejudice against things that they have no experience with or do not understand. No big revelation there...

Top Bottom