Panthers Trade For Jared Allen

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Panthers trade for veteran pass-rusher Jared Allen

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 28, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT

The Panthers have been running short on defensive ends since Greg Hardy went on the commissioner’s exempt list a game into last season.

And when Charles Johnson got hurt, they clearly felt the need to make a big move.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, the Panthers have acquired veteran pass-rusher Jared Allen from the Bears via trade.

Allen makes sense for the Panthers for a number of reasons, as they need an established pass-rush presence at end, with or without Johnson in the lineup. But it also ends an awkward transition to a 3-4 scheme for Allen, as he was the ultimate old dog learning a new trick.

The 33-year-old Allen is ninth on the all-time sack list with 134.0, but hadn’t played in a 3-4 prior to this season. This gives him a chance to play with a contender, and gives the Bears needed currency with which to build for the future.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That whole organization sounds like a dumpster fire from a fiscal standpoint. First giving Cutler that kind of money and now taking this kind of cap hit.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That whole organization sounds like a dumpster fire from a fiscal standpoint. First giving Cutler that kind of money and now taking this kind of cap hit.
I would have thought so too but turns out they have quite abit of room for next year

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Might need a Bears fire sale thread, they've made another trade

GShock

DCC 4Life
Reading elsewhere that Forte, Jeffries and Bennett might all be available.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Reading elsewhere that Forte, Jeffries and Bennett might all be available.
There was a tweet earlier that said Jeffery, Fuller, and Long are who is off the table. Pretty much anyone else is fair game

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Love Forte and he is still good, but I have a feeling they'd be asking for too much for an older running back

dallen

Senior Tech
Maybe we can swap 7th rounders in 2018

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love Forte and he is still good, but I have a feeling they'd be asking for too much for an older running back
No reason to waste our time. Forte isn't going to change the fortunes of this team this year.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

No reason to waste out time. Forte isn't going to change the fortunes of this team this year.
He could. Weeden has shown he's a checkdown guy and Forte might actually force the OC to run more designed pass plays to the RB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He could. Weeden has shown he's a checkdown guy and Forte might actually force the OC to run more designed pass plays to the RB.
21 carries, 127 yards and 12 receptions for 118 yards out of our RBs against the Falcons. No RB was going to change the complexion of that game.

There is a reason the Bears are still god awful even with Forte at RB and have been for his entire career. People give too much weight to the performance of the RB. I just think people are hoping and praying that a RB will somehow save this season but it won't. Our season is either going to sink or float based on this defense. I just think with Forte you'll see the exact same results with one less draft pick and far less cap room for next year and future years.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They have been awful because they have an idiot at QB. Not because Forte was holding them back.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
21 carries, 127 yards and 12 receptions for 118 yards out of our RBs against the Falcons. No RB was going to change the complexion of that game.

There is a reason the Bears are still god awful even with Forte at RB and have been for his entire career. People give too much weight to the performance of the RB. I just think people are hoping and praying that a RB will somehow save this season but it won't. Our season is either going to sink or float based on this defense. I just think with Forte you'll see the exact same results with one less draft pick and far less cap room for next year and future years.
I disagree. When you have a good QB, a good RB can make a big difference.

The thing with us is, we already have backs that can catch and make plays out of the backfield. That's a big strength from Forte but I'm not so sure his pass catching really upgrades us.

Now, his rushing is a huge upgrade, but while I'm not sure about Cassel, with Weeden I doubt it makes much difference.

As for the last game, you can't possibly offer the raw rushing totals with a straight face and argue that our ground game was any good whatsoever.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd consider Forte if the cost was extremely cheap but I'd have more interest in a guy like Lamarr Houston. He was a big time free agent a few years ago, very productive in Oakland, he's playing out of position at OLB and wasn't brought in by the current regime.

They gave up a 2nd rounder just 2 years ago in Bostic for a 6th rounder, I'd definitely be interested in Houston if we could get him for a 6th and they eat the guaranteed money. I don't know if he's 100% healthy after his injury last year but he could be a versatile piece on the DL over the next few years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They have been awful because they have an idiot at QB. Not because Forte was holding them back.
That's correct.

We have Romo, but we may very well be completely out of it before he gets back. Not sure Forte would change that.

As I've said before, it's ridiculous to not put Michael in right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And we will have an idiot at QB for the next 6 games at least. If not more. At 29 years old you're just wasting future cap money on something that won't impact this season. I like Forte but he isn't some sort of a world beater at RB.

Basically the running game right now is the least of our problems. The fact that we can't play defense anymore and don't have the capability of completing a pass to a WR past 10 yards is our real problem. Fix those things first before you start worrying about another RB who will get stuffed when the other team stacks the box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom