2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trump Orders Surrogates to Intensify Criticism of Judge and Journalists
During a Monday conference call with supporters, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee overruled a directive sent out by his own campaign.
Kevin Cirilli

Michael C. Bender

Jennifer Jacobs

June 6, 2016 — 3:08 PM CDT Updated on June 6, 2016 — 4:22 PM CDT

An embattled Donald Trump urgently rallied his most visible supporters to defend his attacks on a federal judge's Mexican ancestry during a conference call on Monday in which he ordered them to question the judge's credibility and impugn reporters as racists.

"We will overcome," Trump said, according to two supporters who were on the call and requested anonymity to share their notes with Bloomberg Politics. "And I’ve always won and I’m going to continue to win. And that’s the way it is."

There was no mention of apologizing or backing away from his widely criticized remarks about U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is overseeing cases against the Trump University real-estate program.
When former Arizona Governor Jan Brewer interrupted the discussion to inform Trump that his own campaign had asked surrogates to stop talking about the lawsuit in an e-mail on Sunday, Trump repeatedly demanded to know who sent the memo, and immediately overruled his staff.

"Take that order and throw it the hell out," Trump said.

Told the memo was sent by Erica Freeman, a staffer who circulates information to surrogates, Trump said he didn't know her. He openly questioned how the campaign could defend itself if supporters weren't allowed to talk.

"Are there any other stupid letters that were sent to you folks?" Trump said. "That's one of the reasons I want to have this call, because you guys are getting sometimes stupid information from people that aren't so smart."
Brewer, who was on the call with prominent Republicans like Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown, interjected again. "You all better get on the page," she told him.
In response, Trump said that he aspired to hold regular calls with surrogates in order to coordinate the campaign's message, a role usually reserved for lower ranking staffers than the nominee himself.

The e-mailed memo, sent by Freeman on Sunday, was cc'd to campaign manager Corey Lewandowski; Hope Hicks, Trump's top communications staffer; and Rick Gates, a top aide to campaign chairman Paul Manafort. It informed surrogates that "they're not authorized to discuss matters concerning the Trump Organization including corporate news such as the Trump University case.”

"The best possible response is ‘the case will be tried in the courtroom in front of a jury—not in the media,’” according to the e-mail, obtained by Bloomberg Politics.
Hicks declined to address the specifics of the conversation with surrogates.

"The call was scheduled in order for Mr. Trump to thank his supporters and congratulate everyone as the primaries officially come to an end," Hicks told Bloomberg Politics. "Many topics were discussed and it was a productive call for all parties."

Trump's five weeks as the presumptive nominee have been marked by several missteps: A refusal to release his tax returns, confusion among donors over which super-PAC to give money, audio of him using a pseudonym to act as his own publicist, failing to donate to veterans groups as promised until pressed by the media.
But the most incendiary controversy has been his handling of Trump University.

Trump ignited the controversy when he defended his real-estate program by saying Curiel has an inherent conflict of interest because of his Mexican heritage, because the candidate has proposed building a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border to curb illegal immigration. Curiel was born in Indiana, and Trump's complaint has been criticized by Republican leaders, legal experts, and other commentators. Trump on Sunday broadened his argument by saying on CBS that it’s possible a Muslim judge could treat him unfairly too, because of his proposed ban on Muslim immigration.

"I should have won this thing years ago," Trump said on the call about the case, adding that Curiel is a "member of La Raza." Curiel is affiliated with La Raza Lawyers of California, a Latino bar association.
A clearly irritated Trump told his supporters to attack journalists who ask questions about the lawsuit and his comments about the judge.

"The people asking the questions—those are the racists," Trump said. "I would go at 'em."
Suggesting a broader campaign against the media, Trump said the campaign should also actively criticize television reporters. "I'd let them have it," he said, referring to those who Trump portrayed as hypocrites.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
:lol So Paul Ryan comes out and states that the things that Trump is saying about this judge with Mexican heritage are racist, but he still endorses him anyway.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol So Paul Ryan comes out and states that the things that Trump is saying about this judge with Mexican heritage are racist, but he still endorses him anyway.
In the first place the comments aren't racist and in the second place Ryan is doing a CYA exercise.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Quit acting like a little old lady who just messed herself. Trumps comments were not denigrating Mexicans he was pointing out that in his opinion the judge was bias against him because of his stance on illegal immigrants and the wall he proposes to build.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Quit acting like a little old lady who just messed herself. Trumps comments were not denigrating Mexicans he was pointing out that in his opinion the judge was bias against him because of his stance on illegal immigrants and the wall he proposes to build.
Yeah you run with that if it makes you feel better.

So you condone Trump injecting his Mexican heritage into the issue?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah you run with that if it makes you feel better.

So you condone Trump injecting his Mexican heritage into the issue?
What's wrong with heritage? It was the bias that was at issue. Trump's position was that he was being discriminated against because of his political positions against illegal immigration. I recall you interjecting race into a conversation recently.

townsend

Banned
What's wrong with heritage? It was the bias that was at issue. Trump's position was that he was being discriminated against because of his political positions against illegal immigration. I recall you interjecting race into a conversation recently.
You are so far off the deep end. If you assume a person can't do their job well because of their race, it's text book racism. Only a person deluded enough to vote for Trump would think otherwise.

He said himself that he could shoot someone and not lose a voter. I can see you defending that too.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You are just being willfully ignorant now.

It was Trump who first brought up the judge being Mexican and there is zero proof this judge gas any position on illegal immigration.

Why go there because he is Mexican?

I have not brought up race recently and why would that be an issue for me and not Trump?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are so far off the deep end. If you assume a person can't do their job well because of their race, it's text book racism. Only a person deluded enough to vote for Trump would think otherwise.

He said himself that he could shoot someone and not lose a voter. I can see you defending that too.
Enlighten me professor and point to the things that are racist rather than trying to bully your way into a position. You are the naive one if you think it is automatically racism when someone makes reference to ethnicity. You are also naive if you think racism doesn't enter into a lot of determinations in the business place. It isn't automatically racism to suggest that someone's ethnicity may interfere in their decision making. Did it happen in this particular instance? Who knows but to bring up possible biases isn't a solid fact of racism.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are just being willfully ignorant now.

It was Trump who first brought up the judge being Mexican and there is zero proof this judge gas any position on illegal immigration.

Why go there because he is Mexican?

I have not brought up race recently and why would that be an issue for me and not Trump?
This coming from one who is continually posting articles that are racially sensitive? What motives do you have for those exercises? And you don't think someone else can bring up heritage or question their possible biases? Really now.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Because of his Mexican heritage, devoid of any fact, despite his own lawyer saying the Judge was doing a good job. His comments were racist.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are so far off the deep end. If you assume a person can't do their job well because of their race, it's text book racism.
Not really at all. We have seen it in the reverse for decades. All white jury convicts black man of murder. It's not racist to claim the all white jury may have been biased. It's normal legal stuff that every attorney pays attention to. Trump just says outloud what most say behind closed doors.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Not really at all. We have seen it in the reverse for decades. All white jury convicts black man of murder. It's not racist to claim the all white jury may have been biased. It's normal legal stuff that every attorney pays attention to. Trump just says outloud what most say behind closed doors.
LOL the history(past and Present) of our countries judicial system is wrought with prejudicial judgments and over adjudication of minority peoples. There is no history or event facts in this particular case that suggest old white male billionaires, have been subject to the same unfair treatment or in this case being treated unfairly.

That is the weakest argument you could make and you're smarter than that. Trump's racism is OK because others think it is an even dumber argument.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL the history(past and Present) of our countries judicial system is wrought with prejudicial judgments and over adjudication of minority peoples. There is no history or event facts in this particular case that suggest old white male billionaires, have been subject to the same unfair treatment or in this case being treated unfairly.

That is the weakest argument you could make and you're smarter than that. Trump's racism is OK because others think it is an even dumber argument.
I always love the argument that its ok for every minority group to do, but when a white male does it we scream racism.

I can promise you Trumps attorney would get a dfferent judge if he could. That's not racist, it's smart legal strategy.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I always love the argument that its ok for every minority group to do, but when a white male does it we scream racism.

I can promise you Trumps attorney would get a dfferent judge if he could. That's not racist, it's smart legal strategy.
It's a weak argument, and not based in any reality, but go ahead keep making it.

His lawyer said specifically that he thought the Judge was doing a good job. So, maybe not. Trump's a racist and you and others are defending it. Own it.

townsend

Banned
Do you know how insane you sound? You're an effing attorney. We just had a Supreme Court decision overturn a racist verdict because we live in a country that has and does have a huge problem of disproportionately prosecuting black people.

We have a black prison population of 800,000 people. That's more that most nations. Especially as someone who knows how the system works, the amount of data available to verify the continuing race problem is not something you should be able to pass over.

How the fuck can you compare that to a guy born with a platinum spoon in his mouth, that has definitely committed fraud?

Do you really think the "system" has it out for Donald Trump? That a guy who inhereted half a billion dollars was ever at risk to go to prison for something he didn't do?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you know how insane you sound? You're an effing attorney. We just had a Supreme Court decision overturn a racist verdict because we live in a country that has and does have a huge problem of disproportionately prosecuting black people.

We have a black prison population of 800,000 people. That's more that most nations. Especially as someone who knows how the system works, the amount of data available to verify the continuing race problem is not something you should be able to pass over.

How the fuck can you compare that to a guy born with a platinum spoon in his mouth, that has definitely committed fraud?
Your self hate for white people is beyond belief. It's not about data, it's about odds. If you were a KKK member the last race you would want for a judge is probably an African American. Doesn't mean that the particular judge has a bias against members of the KKK. But the assumption is that judge will be biased. It's the same damn conclusion in this case. But because you're blinded by your hatred of Trump and need for self loathing you can't see it.

You have a real problem staying on target too. No one ever said Trump has had a rough life. No one has said he was going to prison. All that was said is that it's not racism. That this is very typical in the legal field. Which it is, it's just that you only get up in arms when it's a white person making that claim instead of a minority. And by the way, his attorney is simply being strategic with his statements. Again for those that can't seem to comprehend why, the attorney is smart enough to know he is stuck with this judge. You're not going to get a change of judge based on his race. So knowing that and knowing that he will have to work with the judge in the future he is bound to say nothing but good things. Again, it doesn't make Trumps statement racist, it just makes his statements dumb.

townsend

Banned
Your self hate for white people is beyond belief. It's not about data, it's about odds. If you were a KKK member the last race you would want for a judge is probably an African American. Doesn't mean that the particular judge has a bias against members of the KKK. But the assumption is that judge will be biased. It's the same damn conclusion in this case. But because you're blinded by your hatred of Trump and need for self loathing you can't see it.

You have a real problem staying on target too. No one ever said Trump has had a rough life. No one has said he was going to prison. All that was said is that it's not racism. That this is very typical in the legal field. Which it is, it's just that you only get up in arms when it's a white person making that claim instead of a minority. And by the way, his attorney is simply being strategic with his statements. Again for those that can't seem to comprehend why, the attorney is smart enough to know he is stuck with this judge. You're not going to get a change of judge based on his race. So knowing that and knowing that he will have to work with the judge in the future he is bound to say nothing but good things. Again, it doesn't make Trumps statement racist, it just makes his statements dumb.
Get it out of your system. Apparently anyone who actually notices systems of oppression is still a race traitor.

You do realize that having a "rough life" is 99% of being wrongfully convicted is? That the reason why blacks have fair criticisms against the criminal justice system is because if you are poor, and targeted, (as black people definitely, proveably are) you're likely going to prison, because public defenders are a joke? I bet you do know that, because you're an attorney.

Did you know that black people are much much much more likely to be given the death penalty for the same crime a white person wouldn't be? I bet you do, because you're an attorney.

Don't bring up blacks protesting racist oppression that they have definitely suffered, and compare it to a guy who thinks he can question the credentials of a judge entirely because of the person's race.

If a KKK leader said the same thing, we would call it racist, because he's racist. What kind or ridiculous person would possibly defend a hate monger questioning the validity of someone's judgement based on race?

Trump doesn't get to question other people's judgement just because he's already painted himself as a bigot. The only person who shouldn't be trusted to be objective in matters of race there, is Donald Trump.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Get it out of your system. Apparently anyone who actually notices systems of oppression is still a race traitor.

You do realize that having a "rough life" is 99% of being wrongfully convicted is? That the reason why blacks have fair criticisms against the criminal justice system is because if you are poor, and targeted, (as black people definitely, proveably are) you're likely going to prison, because public defenders are a joke? I bet you do know that, because you're an attorney.

Did you know that black people are much much much more likely to be given the death penalty for the same crime a white person wouldn't be? I bet you do, because you're an attorney.

Don't bring up blacks protesting racist oppression that they have definitely suffered, and compare it to a guy who thinks he can question the credentials of a judge entirely because of the person's race.

If a KKK leader said the same thing, we would call it racist, because he's racist. What kind or ridiculous person would possibly defend a hate monger questioning the validity of someone's judgement based on race?

Trump doesn't get to question other people's judgement just because he's already painted himself as a bigot. The only person who shouldn't be trusted to be objective in matters of race there, is Donald Trump.
What does all of that have to do with Trump thinking the judge may be bias against him? And you think I am off the deep end. Sounds like you are pent up and looking for a place to unload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom