PFT: Rolando McClain’s absence raises eyebrows in Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rolando McClain’s absence raises eyebrows in Dallas

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 4, 2016, 12:50 PM EDT

Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain is skipping Organized Team Activities, and some in Dallas are wondering whether that should be a cause for concern.

Stephen Jones, the team’s executive vice president, acknowledged when asked about McClain that the team would like to see him attend voluntary practices.

“You always want everybody here. Certainly I know coach Garrett wants everybody here, 100-percent attendance. And it’s certainly disappointing when they’re not here,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News.

The paper also reported that there’s a sense around the team that “more is going on with Rolando than meets the eye,” although there were no specifics about what exactly that means. McClain had a series of off-field problems that led to the Raiders cutting him in 2013, and he sat out that year after announcing he would retire. His retirement lasted only a year before he returned to the NFL with the Cowboys. Last year he was suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.

McClain signed a one-year contract with the Cowboys in March. When they drafted linebacker Jaylon Smith in the second round of the draft, that was an indication that they expect Smith (who needs this year to recover from a knee injury) to become McClain’s replacement, and Dallas does not intend to re-sign McClain after this year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's a slacker and always has been.

His natural talent doesn't mean shit in the NFL like it did in college.

I wish we could just cut him but of course we don't have the depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same old story with this guy. He'll do all he can to skip practices until the season starts and then collect his pay check. I just don't think he really has a strong passion for football like other guys.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This team has too many fringe players. Between druggies, goldbrickers, women beaters and glass warriors, it's always something. No wonder Garrett is wanting the right kind of player but someone seems to continue to find new clowns every year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This team has too many fringe players. Between druggies, goldbrickers, women beaters and glass warriors, it's always something. No wonder Garrett is wanting the right kind of player but someone seems to continue to find new clowns every year.
Agreed.

McClain has been doing this ever since he got here, he'll probably sit out half of TC and at least one or two of the preseason games with some bullshit mystery soft tissue ailment. Of course he'll be decent once he gets on the field and better than all of our LB's not named Lee, so at least he isn't getting suspended like last year.

With that said, if Smith is ready to roll in 2017 this guy won't be back.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I agree but how much of that is Garrett and how much of that is the front office? I'm not a big Garrett fan but regardless of who really has the final say on personnel decisions, the team has a history of taking on reclamation projects that precedes him. Sometimes it has worked out somewhat but as often as not it has bitten the team in the ass.

McClain would kick ass if he was 100% committed to the game but put me in the camp of those that don't get the vibe that he is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree but how much of that is Garrett and how much of that is the front office? I'm not a big Garrett fan but regardless of who really has the final say on personnel decisions, the team has a history of taking on reclamation projects that precedes him. Sometimes it has worked out somewhat but as often as not it has bitten the team in the ass.

McClain would kick ass if he was 100% committed to the game but put me in the camp of those that don't get the vibe that he is.
I think it's a safe bet that Garrett didn't go after a lot of these guys. Just thinking out loud the majority seems to be on the defensive side of the ball. It has Jones and Marinelli all over it. Marinelli has been pretty desperate for players so it's understandable he would take the gamble. It past time however to keep going after these types.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is a shithead.

And tolerating him is just stupid.

You make exception for stars.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And for those trying to absolve Garrett, just stop.

The player once shook Saban's hand. He is good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He can't put his foot down. He continually allows the wrong kind of player on his team. Even worse, he enables them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He can't put his foot down. He continually allows the wrong kind of player on his team. Even worse, he enables them.
Not putting his foot down and seeking players with baggage are two different things. I think if he was allowed to put his foot down some of these guys would never have been acquired. He rolled over because he isn't willing to buck the choices.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Same old story with this guy. He'll do all he can to skip practices until the season starts and then collect his pay check. I just don't think he really has a strong passion for football like other guys.
Exactly. He doesn't like to practice, that's obvious.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not worried about him. He'll skip as much practice as possible but he'llshow up for most of the games and he'll be ok for the most part and at times he will be very good.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not worried about him. He'll skip as much practice as possible but he'llshow up for most of the games and he'll be ok for the most part and at times he will be very good.
Doesn't make for a good team morale though because they know he is skating. Young players who aren't mentally committed will be influenced by these antics. It's harboring a problem.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Doesn't make for a good team morale though because they know he is skating. Young players who aren't mentally committed will be influenced by these antics. It's harboring a problem.
i dont buy that - its a supply/demand issue. hes on borrowed time with the jaylon smith pick...everyone knows he'll be gone by next year (or sooner if someone else steps up)

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
i dont buy that - its a supply/demand issue. hes on borrowed time with the jaylon smith pick...everyone knows he'll be gone by next year (or sooner if someone else steps up)
Maybe so but this will be his third season and he hasn't been replaced yet.

dallen

Senior Tech
He is a shithead.

And tolerating him is just stupid.

You make exception for stars.
At one time he filled an emergency need. We are long past the point we should have moved on

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Which is exactly why I didn't want him last year or this year.

He somehow won the hearts of a lot of fans because he had a solid first half of 2014.

From the 2nd half of that season onward, he's done nothing but miss time due to injury, create issues on and off the field, and play average at best football.

So again I ask, why is it so important to keep this guy around?

Top Bottom