Prospects Dallas Has Shown Interest In - 2014

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And Zeitler was widely considered a 2nd round prospect until the Bengals grabbed him at 27. A good spot for a nice but not elite guard. 16 is for an elite player.
Martin is considered a little more valuable because of the consideration that he could play equally well at tackle.

He's in the same tier as Ealy in my book. If you get a 10 year high end starter out of the player, I'll take it at that range. I would certainly prefer a lot of other guys who are slated to go earlier, but there are more question marks about the guys that come after. Rashede Hageman, Louis Nix, Brandon Cooks, Odell Beckham, Dee Ford, Morgan Moses, Ryan Shazier. Those are the guys that are gonna go 17-22 or so.

I'll take the ten year solid OG/OT, thanks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Martin is considered a little more valuable because of the consideration that he could play equally well at tackle.

He's in the same tier as Ealy in my book. If you get a 10 year high end starter out of the player, I'll take it at that range. I would certainly prefer a lot of other guys who are slated to go earlier, but there are more question marks about the guys that come after. Rashede Hageman, Louis Nix, Brandon Cooks, Odell Beckham, Dee Ford, Morgan Moses, Ryan Shazier. Those are the guys that are gonna go 17-22 or so.

I'll take the ten year solid OG/OT, thanks.
Agreed except for the idea he's on Ealy's tier. Martin is not an overrated turd.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Lewan or Manziel is not there I'd prefer defense be addressed. Surely Donald, Jernigan, or Clinton-Dix should be there.
My list right now wants (a) one of the QBs, (b) one of the elite players (Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Matthews - on the 0.5% chance that ONE of them falls), or (c) one of the near-elite players in Lewan-Barr-Donald. That's a group of 11 players.

My worst case scenario would be picking at 16 from a group of non-elite long term starters in Zack Martin, Konly Ealy, CJ Mosley, Calvin Pryor, or Clinton-Dix. That worst case scenario doesn't happen if you have 5 players not on my list of 11 get selected before 16. That means a CB or two, Derek Carr, Eric Ebron, and maybe another surprise go before 16. And come on, a couple DBs always go early. Or maybe Pryor and/or Clinton-Dix go earlier than 16.

If that happens, the most likely to fall I think are Donald, Lewan, and Barr. Which is why they are my option (c). I think one of them is pretty likely to be there. I'd take whichever is there. If not, I can live picking from that backup list.

I don't think Jernigan is a consideration from me under any circumstance because I have 16 other players I like better.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Jernigan is better than Ealy, Martin, and Pryor.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jernigan is better than Ealy, Martin, and Pryor.
I have Martin as better overall than Jernigan. Plus he plays a more important position than nose tackle.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Will Clarke as a 3rd, this is a decent little group of DLs that we've had so far.

Carp

DCC 4Life
In a lot of 4-3 defenses, maybe. Just not this particular variant, not the way it should be.
Eh...I think he can. He is athletic enough. Point is moot though...JF is wearing Cowboys gear now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eh...I think he can. He is athletic enough. Point is moot though...JF is wearing Cowboys gear now.
Feh. Jernigan is wearing his Cowboys sweater in his Twitter profile.

Carp

DCC 4Life
His fingers seem too small for his hand.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I could totally live with Jernigan at 16 if no one glaringly awesome was there and no sweet trade downs were offered.

D

Deuce

Yeah, that comparison was a stretch.
The comparison was made to what he said he'd be fine with at 16, not them as players from a skill standpoint.

Besides that point, I'm not seeing what there is to love about Martin. If he was a legit OT that can kick inside than great. But according to a lot of people, he's not. He is too small and limited to play OT and there's no proof he can handle playing inside other than that his body may be built for it better.

I will never take a G that high unless I thought he was a stud. You can't be a stud unless you've proven yourself at some point.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The comparison was made to what he said he'd be fine with at 16, not them as players from a skill standpoint.

Besides that point, I'm not seeing what there is to love about Martin. If he was a legit OT that can kick inside than great. But according to a lot of people, he's not. He is too small and limited to play OT and there's no proof he can handle playing inside other than that his body may be built for it better.

I will never take a G that high unless I thought he was a stud. You can't be a stud unless you've proven yourself at some point.
From what I've read it seems like alot of people think he'd be just fine at RT or perhaps even LT.

He's a better prospect than Justin Pugh and Kyle Long who both went 20th or so last year, although that was a weaker draft overall.

Top Bottom