Must See Movies

dallen

Senior Tech
Saw Rogue One. Overall, It succeeded most in how it emphasizing the toll of getting the Death Star plans, leading right into Episode IV. Solely watching Episode IV, you're thinking, "okay, whatever, rebels have Death Star plans." After watching Rogue One, I have a deeper appreciation for plot.

I compare Rogue One to Walken's "butt" speech about the watch in Pulp Fiction. Take that out and you have less of an appreciation and understanding for why Butch (Willis) goes back into danger to retrieve his watch. You'd kind of just accept that Butch does. The following action would still be enjoyable without Walken, but just provides that extra oomph.

In any case, for a person that has never seen any Star Wars that's about to watch them, how would you order the viewing? Still Episode IV-VI first? Would you then go VII after or back to I? I feel like you'd want to show Rogue One somewhere in the middle, leaving Episode I-III last.
I like that comparison

data

Forbes #1
Saw Rogue One yesterday. I liked it, but not as much as Force Awakens.

The characters didn't grab me in this one like they did in TFA. I think probably because the story was a little too diffuse. It could've been a bit more focused.

That said, I liked Tarkin a lot, and Vader was incredible at the end. Holy shit. :lol
For a split second at the end, Vader was such a badass I was thinking, "all that fucking death and these dipshit foot soldiers are gonna give the disk back to Vader. No fucking way Vader doesn't retrieve it" I had to remind myself that the disk does get away or Episode IV never happens. :lol

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Girl With All The Gifts was an unexpected pleasant surprise. Just started watching it on a whim. It was quite good.

But I will be damned if it didn't rip off The Last of Us. Just a little.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The deliriously entertaining Split is M. Night Shyamalan gone wild
By Ignatiy Vishnevetsky@vishnevetsky
Jan 19, 2017 12:00 AM

B+
Split
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Runtime: 117 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Cast: James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, Betty Buckley, Haley Lu Richardson, Jessica Sula, Brad William Henke
Availability: Theaters everywhere January 20
Community Grade (19 Users)
C+
Your Grade
?
At last, M. Night Shyamalan has decided to let his freak flag fly, and made the sort of unapologetic B-movie one always suspected he had pent up inside of him; it swerves from dark comedy to 1970s-esque psycho-horror as the irresistibly preposterous script struggles for attention against a delirious lead performance by James McAvoy. Split is funnier, campier, and more freewheeling than anything its writer-director has done—slightly overlong, but reminiscent of Brian De Palma films like The Fury and Femme Fatale in its refusal to be boring. Shyamalan pulls out one ingenious camera move after another with the help of Michael Gioulakis, the cinematographer of It Follows, echoing Split’s subterranean setting and subconscious concerns through creative and formalist thrills. Self-reflexive, maybe even therapeutic, it twists the themes of fate and trauma that have been his stock-in-trade since The Sixth Sense into a very entertaining genre exercise—some of his strongest work since the days of The Village and Signs.

In the bravura opening sequence, three teenagers Casey (The Witch’s Anya Taylor-Joy), Claire (Haley Lu Richardson), and Marcia (Jessica Sula) are kidnapped from a mall parking lot and locked inside a bunker-like basement by Kevin (McAvoy)—a man with an incredibly elaborate case of dissociative identity disorder—or more specifically, by two of his normally harmless alternate personas, who have staged an internal revolt to prepare for the arrival of an apocalyptic entity that they have dubbed “The Beast.” Key to the gonzo conception of Split is the way it reformulates some of its director’s best-known work; Kevin is basically the plot of The Village—that is, a community of survivors in conflict over an unseen monster—mashed together with a second film that will go unnamed here in the interest of avoiding spoilers. (There’s a twist ending, too, but although it’s a hoot, it’s extraneous to the plot.) Four personas figure prominently in Split: self-loathing neat freak Dennis, overbearing Patricia, childlike Hedwig, and easygoing Barry.

In a go-for-broke piece of acting, McAvoy plays them all as distinct characters and as different parts of the almost completely unseen Kevin, their place in his psyche revealed through exaggerated mannerisms. Casey, the de facto leader of the three abductees, has to resort to deceiving the personas or playing them against one another to get out; if that weren’t enough of a logic puzzle, the personas can also manipulate and impersonate each other, though pointedly, they can’t mimic Kevin. Toying with audience perception is Shyamalan’s signature trick, but here he outdoes himself, creating a cat’s cradle of limited perspectives, point-of-view and overhead shots, and rapid changes in visual focus. As strange as it may sound, Split actually has more to say about the intersection of emotional, sexual, and artistic repression than one could hope to unpack in a review; it is both unabashedly trashy and a lot smarter than it lets on, with a sense of humor to match.

Above all, it’s fun. It’s a credit to Shyamalan’s considerable gifts as a stylist of pure suspense that the film moves fluidly so much of the time, despite periodic cuts to the requisite concerned psychologist (Betty Buckley) and some largely unnecessary flashbacks to Casey’s childhood. Nestled among those, however, is one of the more disturbing scenes in Shyamalan’s oeuvre. For as devil-may-care as Split might be when it comes to form, it is a dark and seemingly personal film deep down. The found-footage horror flick The Visit—a film that’s only a little less self-reflexive than Split—gave the one-time Hollywood golden boy a chance to start over after a couple of misguided forays into the world of effects-driven fantasy blockbusters. This film, made on an identically low budget but with a lot more confidence, feels like another step in a transformation: It waves away the somber atmosphere of his early successes to run hollering down a dark tunnel, chasing familiar motifs further underground.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Split was very very good.

McEvoy did a great job.

Pretty excited by the news that Shyamalan is going to tie it together with Unbreakable too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Went to see Rouge 1 today and I am confused. I thought Darth Vader died in a previous episode. What's the deal?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Went to see Rouge 1 today and I am confused. I thought Darth Vader died in a previous episode. What's the deal?
Rogue 1 takes place before the first Star Wars.... The one that came out in the late 70s.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Huh. Did I miss that in the movie? I guess I assumed it was subsequent to the others since the last release was. I recall the Hans Solo character was zapped in the movie before so I thought this was just developing new characters. Obviously this group won't be back so I was a little puzzled by it all.

D

Deuce

Huh. Did I miss that in the movie? I guess I assumed it was subsequent to the others since the last release was. I recall the Hans Solo character was zapped in the movie before so I thought this was just developing new characters. Obviously this group won't be back so I was a little puzzled by it all.
Apparently you missed all of the many clues. The fact that they were looking for the plans to brand new, never used before Death Star should have been the most glaring example. They talked about it being a new super weapon so it was the first of its kind. Then there was Tarkin throughout the film and he dies on the Death Star in episode 4.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Apparently you missed all of the many clues. The fact that they were looking for the plans to brand new, never used before Death Star should have been the most glaring example. They talked about it being a new super weapon so it was the first of its kind. Then there was Tarkin throughout the film and he dies on the Death Star in episode 4.
Yeah I missed them because I didn't follow them that closely. The Death Star was blown up a couple of times and the chronology was released in a ass backwards mode then the first of the new releases was about the phasing out of the original cast. Then comes this one so who wouldn't get confused.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I missed them because I didn't follow them that closely. The Death Star was blown up a couple of times and the chronology was released in a ass backwards mode then the first of the new releases was about the phasing out of the original cast. Then comes this one so who wouldn't get confused.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
SPOILER TAGS!!! GAH!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How dare I spoil something from the 70's.
Well, according to LT, that movie was way out of order and isn't scheduled to be released until 2024.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hells Bells, the first movie came out 40 yeats ago. It was in fact out of order as things turned out. I wonder how many of you Star Wars gurus were still in diapers then? :flip

Top Bottom