QB Controversy Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You are intrerpreting it wrong. It's a suggestion to reduce the exposure to the team being vunerable. This situation is a little different from most backup situations. Romo hasn't touched a football in practice conditions for almost a year so that's not the run of the mill back up program most teams have.
Right, and the point everyone is trying to get across is you do that conditioning in practice, not in games where your season hangs in the balance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
LT, you might want to claim hyperbole here.

Romo can get acclimated to game speed in practice the same way he can during training camp. Nothing is like game experience but if that's the role you assign Romo he will be as ready as can be when called upon.

I just still haven't changed my mind that Romo shouldn't start, but obviously we are getting winning QB play either way.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT, you might want to claim hyperbole here.

Romo can get acclimated to game speed in practice the same way he can during training camp. Nothing is like game experience but if that's the role you assign Romo he will be as ready as can be when called upon.

I just still haven't changed my mind that Romo shouldn't start, but obviously we are getting winning QB play either way.
Why claim hyperbole. I see potential exposure to the teams back up position and made a suggestion. If no one likes it or agrees with it fine.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You are intrerpreting it wrong. It's a suggestion to reduce the exposure to the team being vunerable. This situation is a little different from most backup situations. Romo hasn't touched a football in practice conditions for almost a year so that's not the run of the mill back up program most teams have.
Never flinch L.T. never flinch.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why claim hyperbole. I see potential exposure to the teams back up position and made a suggestion. If no one likes it or agrees with it fine.
Again, why would this be necessary when no one ever has gone with this approach?

I don't recall a coach lamenting a loss with a backup QB by saying "I really wish we had let him start that week 9 game. That would've had him more ready to play today."

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Romo hasn't seen the field of any kind for almost a year.
That has been my point on why, since they actually have an alternative that is playing really well, Romo should not just step right in as the starter when he is physically ready. I don't believe 'Tony gives us the best chance to win' mantra is true right now nor would it necessarily be if Dak was playing pretty well but not great.

But teams literally pull backup QBs off their couches in the middle of the season sometimes and get them ready to play quickly. It isn't an ideal situation but it happens. Romo has run this offense for 10 years. He probably wouldn't be sharp if called upon in say, the middle of the Cleveland game if Dak were to get hurt, but I am certainly not starting him just to prep him to be the backup. It would be great if they can get him a couple series in a blowout situation, but that is about the only game reps I would give him at this time.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Tweet from Smith:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Again, why would this be necessary when no one ever has gone with this approach?

I don't recall a coach lamenting a loss with a backup QB by saying "I really wish we had let him start that week 9 game. That would've had him more ready to play today."
Notwithstanding football but all my management career I continued to encountered the old position of "we have always done it this way". It's a hard attitude to overcome.

dallen

Senior Tech
Tweet from Smith:

He should listen to his wife. Worst case scenario for him is he loses his job and has to sign a network deal and get paid to talk for 20 minutes a week. If he rushes back again there could be lasting physical consequences.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Again, what are you basing this on, though?

This is not something you see done around the NFL often. Heck, I don't recall EVER seeing an NFL take this approach to their backup QB situation regardless of who that backup was.

So where do you get this idea that this is A) A good thing to do and B) Is necessary when no one else has ever done it or paid for not doing it?
That's not true, teams start the backup to asses him. They do it all the time, especially in the 4th preseason game right @LT? :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He should listen to his wife. Worst case scenario for him is he loses his job and has to sign a network deal and get paid to talk for 20 minutes a week. If he rushes back again there could be lasting physical consequences.
If this is the worst thing that happens to him...

In all seriousness Romo will start somewhere in the NFL next year if he wants to. He might as well just chill and enjoy the ride this year. And who knows maybe Dak takes a hit and Romo gets a chance to save the day.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's not true, teams start the backup to asses him. They do it all the time, especially in the 4th preseason game right @LT? :unsure
Not sure how to respond to you but Romo doesn't need assessing he needs conditioning and reps.

Cotton

Staff member
Not sure how to respond to you but Romo doesn't need assessing he needs conditioning and reps.
And that can and should be had in practice.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Oh good, I couldn't wait to see what Skip f'ing Bayless had to say about it.

Top Bottom