Watkins: Young Guns - Barry Church

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Young Guns: Barry Church

January, 20, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Since 2010, the Cowboys have done a better job of finding talent. As a core of Tony Romo, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, Miles Austin, Jason Hatcher, Anthony Spencer and Doug Free inch closer to the end of their careers, the Cowboys need a group of young players heading into their primes to take ownership of the team. Cowboys reporters Calvin Watkins and Todd Archer analyze those players from the class of 2010 on.

Player: Barry Church
Position: Safety

Outlook: Church is coming off a solid 2013 season when he led the team in tackles with 135 and finished tied for fourth with six pass breakups. Church was a steady presence in the backend while the team struggled to find a consistent performer at free safety. Will Allen, J.J. Wilcox and Jeff Heath started at free safety this season, while Church didn't miss a single start. Church's season started off well when he forced a fumble and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown in the season-opening victory against the New York Giants. Church displayed abilities to become a solid run defender and was a reliable safety against the pass. There were times he was inconsistent. In a Week 3 victory over St. Louis, Church had a career-high three pass breakups. The Cowboys' future with Church is secure because he's signed through 2016.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Only in Dallas is a guy as average as Church viewed as some budding superstar.

Cotton

Staff member
Only in Dallas is a guy as average as Church viewed as some budding superstar.
Compared to what's around him, he stands out. Which is very telling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Church can be ok but he should be one of your worst starting secondary players, not one of your best.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I can't think of any standout plays. Did he have a pick or force any fumbles?

Cotton

Staff member
I can't think of any standout plays. Did he have a pick or force any fumbles?
He made a lot of tackles. Are you not entertained?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He made a lot of tackles. Are you not entertained?
Considering tackling was beyond the capabilities of our other safeties I guess that makes it a positive. We clearly need a massive upgrade at safety though.

Top Bottom