Kubiak Fired

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Getting rid of Kubiak is only a small part of their problem. They need to address the OL and secondary as well.

If the Texans do indeed draft 1st overall, I think they'll try to trade back and target Bridgewater or Manziel. Assuming those two delcare for the NFL draft.

Are people still saying Clowney will be #1 overall? If so, there's your trade bait. I think he'd be great paired with Watt but I could see them wanting to make the offense the priority with their early picks.
I don't think Clowney goes at the top of the draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Getting rid of Kubiak is only a small part of their problem. They need to address the OL and secondary as well.

If the Texans do indeed draft 1st overall, I think they'll try to trade back and target Bridgewater or Manziel. Assuming those two delcare for the NFL draft.

Are people still saying Clowney will be #1 overall? If so, there's your trade bait. I think he'd be great paired with Watt but I could see them wanting to make the offense the priority with their early picks.
I wish they would nab Manzeil and neutralize any consideration by Dallas

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Bridgewater will not fall far enough to target in a trade down. If Jacksonville stays at 2 and he's there, they'll take him.
Yeah, I don't see them trading out of the top 5 altogether. I think they'll explore some type of trade that still puts them in position to grab one of the top 2 QBs.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Easy there, lil camper. Nobody was insulting your girlfriend.

I used to think he might not be a bad option as an OC if he got fired.

After watching him going all empty set last night even in short yardage, I don't believe I'd even take him as an OC to pair with your mancrush.
I would love Kubiak for our next OC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love Kubiak for our next OC.
He was a fucking retard last night inserting Schaub and running nothing but empty sets even when it was clear that the Jags couldn't move the ball.

Had he ran the football, he could have won that game and been a genius for yanking Keenum. But he kept passing and kept passing with that loser Schaub and it eventually cost him his job.

It is not a coincidence that he praised Schaub after the loser let them down again and then today McNair announces Keenum is the starter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Texans should consider Zimmer as head coach
December 6, 2013 3:00 pm ET

Pete Prisco

Like it or not, the Houston Texans have a perception of being a soft team.

Mention it to their players, and they get angry and defensive.

But it's there.

With the firing of coach Gary Kubiak Friday, I have the perfect way to change that.

Hire Mike Zimmer.

Zimmer, the hard-as-nails defensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals, would change the culture immediately. He would bring nastiness to a team that needs it.

There is nothing soft about the way Zimmer coaches. He's done a heck of a job with the Bengals defense over the years, especially this year with the way that unit is playing without Geno Atkins and corner Leon Hall, two of the best players on defense.

Zimmer also knows how to handle problem players. See Vontaze Burfict for proof of that. He came out of Arizona State as a troubled player, which is why he was not drafted, and he's turned into a Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker. Zimmer's handling him -- Burfict even says it -- is a big reason for the change.

That means something.

Zimmer has interviewed for jobs in the past, and come up empty. His honest, in-your-face approach is said to turn off some owners. That's stupidity. Zimmer would change the culture in the Texans building the minute he took over.

So forget the idea of bringing a retread to Houston. Texans owner Bob McNair should consider Zimmer.

I can guarantee there would be no more talk of being soft when talking about the Texans.

---------------

Please.

Beat Jerry to it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dear Houston Texans, learn from Jerry's mistake

Mac Engel, Star-Telegram

A team that was expected to contend for the AFC title has fired its head coach - the Houston Texans dumped Gary Kubiak the morning after an embarrassing loss against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The following is legit - former Dallas Cowboys head coach and current Texans interim head coach Wade Phillips is a candidate for the full time job in Houston.

Oh, Bubba, nooooooooooooo.

That Uncle Wade even has a prayer to be a head coach yet again is more proof the men who own teams simply do not learn from other's mistakes. When he was hired by the Texans as their defensive coordinator in 2011, the stats came - specifically for defensive end J.J. Watt - and eventually so did the losses.

Wade will charm you with his aw-shucks style, and be more agreeable than your neighbor's grandmother, and he can recite every single positive statistic that his team has ever achieved but this is not a head coach. He will be able to tell you that he is 82-61 as an NFL head coach, and provide every excuse why he is 1-5 in the playoffs.

The problem is you want to see a man with this personality win a Super Bowl, but there is a reason so few ever have.

Wade is as nice and as gentle of a man who has ever coached in the NFL, but he is also the least confrontational man who ever lived. When he was the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he readily admitted that he was a "softy". He would rather eat cat poop than break bad news to a player.

In 2010, the Cowboys opened 1-7 when Wade was fired by Jerry Jones. That the team finished winning 5 of its final eight games that season under Jason Garrett should have been a career-defining indictment on Wade's ability to be a head coach.

He treated his players like men, who once they realized that were only too happy to turn around and behave like teenage boys. They did not respect him.

Wade is a decent, good man but those traits seldom mean that he will be a good NFL head coach. He isn't.

Houston, keep looking.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ken Whisenhunt eyed by Texans

Updated: December 8, 2013, 11:17 AM ET

By Adam Schefter | ESPN

The Houston Texans already have Ken Whisenhunt squarely on the radar for their head coaching vacancy and are expected to interview the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator at the soonest chance possible, league sources said.

The Texans are expected to interview Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt for their head coaching vacancy as soon as possible, sources said.

Houston also has some level of interest in former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, Stanford head coach David Shaw and Texans interim head coach Wade Phillips, among others.

Texans general manager Rick Smith and Whisenhunt got to know each other well from the one year they spent together working on the NFL's competition committee. Smith and Whisenhunt formed a bond, shared a respect of each other's work, and stayed in touch, the sources said.

The Texans, who have the NFL's worst record at 2-11, fired coach Gary Kubiak on Friday after suffering their 11th straight loss, falling to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night.

Texans owner Bob McNair made it clear Friday that he wants to hire someone with head coaching experience, which is one more area in which Whisenhunt would fit Houston's qualifications.

Whisenhunt was the Arizona Cardinals' coach from 2007-12 and joined the Chargers after being fired by Arizona following a 5-11 season in 2012. He was 45-51 overall with the Cardinals and led them to Super Bowl XLIII, where Arizona fell to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Chargers are ranked fourth in total offense this season under Whisenhunt's guidance, averaging 401.6 yards per game entering Sunday's action.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wade Phillips wants Texans job, has ‘a lot to offer’ as head coach

Whatever happens over the next three weeks, 66-year-old Wade Phillips doesn’t sound like a man who’s ready to ride off into the sunset if the Texans don’t keep him.

“I can go into all of the stats and all of that stuff. Nobody wants to hear those,” he said. “But if you look at the record, I think I have a lot to offer as a head coach. That’s for somebody else to decide.” :cry :laff

He added, however, that he’s got too much on his plate at present to worry about his long-term prospects, here or anywhere else.

“I’m in the middle of it right here,” he said. “I’m up to my rear in alligators. I’m going to do the very best job I can do at what I’m doing. That’s what I’ve always tried to do. This is a situation, I have been a head coach before and an interim head coach before. So I’m familiar with the situation.

“You have to come in and try to mold the team the way you feel like it ought to. The strengths, you need to utilize them and the weaknesses, you need to try not. And it’s hard to do in a short amount of time. That’s where the interim part is really tough. When you come in as a head coach in the offseason, you’ve got a whole (period of time). But this is what it is and that’s what I’m going to try to do is utilize our strengths and what I think are our strengths, and go from there.”

Asked to comment on the fact that owner Bob McNair said he’s a candidate for the job, Phillips said: “Again, like I said, I’m not really into that. Obviously, I’m going to try to get this team back on the right track and we’ll go from there.”

Would he consider returning as a defensive coordinator under a new head coach? He declined to respond, reasoning that “if I say that, they won’t hired me as the head coach.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom