Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He'd be an upgrade over Jerry.
So??!!! Anyone with half a brain would be an upgrade over Jerry, that doesn't mean we should hire them.

And since Jerry will never turn to an outsider, handing power over to the Garrett family, who he clearly loves, may be our way out.
No, that is not our way out. That's going from a jelly into a jam. That's not exactly my idea of improving the Jones situation.

Plus then he's not your coach anymore so you can stop complaining about that.
I won't stop complaining until that bum is no longer part of the organization. The solution to him being such a shitty coach isn't to promote him and watch him be a shitty GM, it's to rid him completely of this team.

I mean, while we're wishing for things, I wish Jerry would hire a real GM, but that will never happen, so I might as well set my sights a little lower with something that sounds slightly more plausible. :lol
Fair enough, but dude.....that's really the best plausible scenario you could come up with?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If Dez Bryant is not a way bigger part of the offense this team is not going to win many games. I put a lot of that on him for not getting open enough but the coaching staff deserves even more criticism. I completely agree that if they should run him on some of the short over the middle routes they throw to Beasley. Put the ball in his hands and see if he can make a play for Christ's sake. And instead of those absolutely waste of a play screens to Witten, how about throwing those to a guy who can maybe do something with the ball in his hands instead? The TE screen to Witten is the dumbest play in their playbook. It has no chance of gaining more than 2-3 yards. Maybe that is all Dez gets on some of those too, but there is a chance he breaks a tackle or makes someone miss and picks up a chunk of yardage. That chance does not exist when the play goes to Witten. It is mind-boggling that they even have that play in the playbook.
You remember all of those straight slants to Irvin? Yeah, they should be doing a lot of the same with Dez.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jason Garrett strikes me as one of those guys who once he's finally fired will be completely out of the league. I don't even see him getting another sniff as a coordinator or position coach.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You remember all of those straight slants to Irvin? Yeah, they should be doing a lot of the same with Dez.
Hell, I know we're talking about Dez, but I'd take more passes thrown towards Williams and Butler as well.

This idea that riding Witten and Beasley will lead to wins and points is asinine.

We are one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to chunk yardage/explosive plays. And it's because our coaches have no clue on how to design plays to get the ball into the hands of our outside receivers.

data

Forbes #1
All in all, we're overreacting to the yardage stats because we lost. Giants didn't have a great offensive game, either. Biggest difference was redzone.

Bottom line - Giants 3 TDs (100% redzone) and Cowboys 2 FGs (0% redzone). Change one of those and we win even with Zeke's sub 4.0 avg and Dak's mixed debut.

2 of Giants TDs came on 3rd down.

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett strikes me as one of those guys who once he's finally fired will be completely out of the league. I don't even see him getting another sniff as a coordinator or position coach.
Why do you think he gameplans so conservatively? The less mistakes the team makes, the better he looks. "I had them prepared. They just didn't perform like we had hoped." It has saved it job this long, so he will stay conservative and noncreative the rest of his time here.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And I'm celebrating like it's 1999.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Hell, I know we're talking about Dez, but I'd take more passes thrown towards Williams and Butler as well.

This idea that riding Witten and Beasley will lead to wins and points is asinine.

We are one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to chunk yardage/explosive plays. And it's because our coaches have no clue on how to design plays to get the ball into the hands of our outside receivers.
Yup.

Dez isn't the best at getting separation. Most of his catches are contested by tight coverage or he uses his elite athleticism to make a difficult catch over them.

With that said, good coaches can scheme their guys open. Look no further than Andre Johnson's prime years with Houston.

For a long time, he was the only passing threat they had, and yet week after week, year after year, there he would be running wide open 50 yards down the field from that playaction bootleg Kubiak loved so much.

Now how does one of the premier receivers keep on getting so open on a play called that often? Were the Texans just that lucky that defenses constantly chose to ignore their best player? No, of course not.

It came down to scheme and design -- two things that Garrett's offense has never been good at.

Cotton

Staff member

I was really hoping that Butler would be Dak's go to. He showed he trusted him during pre-season, and I hoped it would roll over into the regular season. Just didn't happen. Mainly because his HC doesn't have any nuts and wasn't calling plays that would accomplish this. Let me give you an example. On one play that went to Williams, Dez was "running" a go route. You can see in the background that Dez is just jogging before the ball is even thrown. Dez being lazy or just flatout knowing the ball isn't coming to him and he is getting ready to block? I think it's probably the latter.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't feel that way, you are just either too dumb to get the point or you are being deliberately obtuse to make a point, which is missing the mark.
I get the point, Garret is not graded on the same scale as anyone else he has been nothing but average and that's being generous.

1bigfan13

Staff member
^^ I'm beginning to think Tyrone Crawford was a massive waste of money.
I said the same thing a couple of years ago when they rewarded him for the phantom potential that they saw in him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So??!!! Anyone with half a brain would be an upgrade over Jerry, that doesn't mean we should hire them.

No, that is not our way out. That's going from a jelly into a jam. That's not exactly my idea of improving the Jones situation.

I won't stop complaining until that bum is no longer part of the organization. The solution to him being such a shitty coach isn't to promote him and watch him be a shitty GM, it's to rid him completely of this team.

As long as we are considering that there is any plausibility to Jones ever turning over GM to anyone, which he won't. So really the whole thing is implausible.

Fair enough, but dude.....that's really the best plausible scenario you could come up with?
I think it's a decent enough combination of plausible and actual upgrade to be worth mentioning.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I bet he will. Too much a part of the network.

Cotton

Staff member
I bet he will. Too much a part of the network.
Not a chance. You are correct, he is a part of the network, but that hurts him because they have seen the way he coaches and gameplans.

Cotton

Staff member

Yep.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

data

Forbes #1
Not a chance. You are correct, he is a part of the network, but that hurts him because they have seen the way he coaches and gameplans.
Now THAT's a worthy poll. If fired from the Cowboys, what will Garrett's next job be?
a. NFL Head Coach
b. NFL Offensive Coordinator
c. NFL, but below OC (ie QB coach)
d. College Head Coach
e. College - Anything below HC
f. High School or Other

Top Bottom