Senior Bowl Stuff...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Falcons, Jaguars will coach 2014 game

Thu, Jan 02, 2014

MOBILE, Ala. (Jan 2) – The coaching staffs of the Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars have been selected by the NFL to coach the 2014 Reese’s Senior Bowl the week of January 20-25 in Mobile, Ala.

“We are so happy to have the Falcons and Jaguars as the two NFL coaching staffs this year,” said Reese’s Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage. “We could not be more pleased. These organizations will do an amazing job in Mobile."

It's the third time the Falcons have coached in the Reese's Senior Bowl (1967, 1978) and the second time the Jaguars have coached (2009).

The Falcons, who will coach the North team, are just one year removed from a 13-3 record and appearance in the NFC Championship game. However, they struggled in 2013 with injuries and slipped to a 4-12 record. It was Atlanta head coach Mike Smith’s first losing season in six years with the Falcons, compiling a 60-36 (.625) record and winning a pair of division titles during that span.

Despite being in the NFL for 15 years, he has never coached at the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

"We have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Senior Bowl over the last six years, but this is the first time we will have the chance to coach the game,” Smith said. “The week of practice provides a great opportunity to get to know these players on a personal level, but being able to coach these young men will give us the ability to work hands on with them and evaluate them. We look forward to coaching the 2014 Senior Bowl."

“Mike Smith and I worked together with the Baltimore Ravens and he is a tremendous coach and person,” Savage said.

In 2012, the Falcons became the first NFC team to earn the conference’s top seed twice in three seasons (2010 and 2012) since the Philadelphia Eagles posted the NFC’s best record in three straight seasons from 2002-04. For his efforts, Smith was named the Sporting News Coach of the Year three times (2008, 2010 and 2012).

Smith’s 56 wins in his first five seasons were the most by any Falcons head coach in team history and the second-most among any first-time head coach in NFL history.

Smith, 54, will coach against his former team, Jacksonville, where he served as defensive coordinator from 2003-2007.

The Jaguars (4-12) are led by first-year head coach Gus Bradley, who helped the team overcome an 0-8 start in 2013 by winning four of its remaining eight games. Bradley has 24 years of coaching experience, including eight seasons in the NFL.

“I visited the Jaguars in August and everyone there raves about Gus Bradley and what he represents as their head coach,” Savage said.

Bradley previously coached in the Senior Bowl in 2006 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when he served as the linebackers coach under head coach Jon Gruden.

“We are looking forward to the opportunity as a coaching staff to spend the week in Mobile and coach the Senior Bowl,” said Bradley, who will guide the South team. “It’s a great opportunity to be around these players in a competitive environment and see how they work throughout the week. It’s a great evaluation tool. It’s maybe better for us as coaches instead of sitting in our rooms watching tape over and over again. We will be able to evaluate all aspects of their game and we expect it to be a very productive week.”

Before taking over in Jacksonville, Bradley, 48, spent four seasons (2009-12) with the Seattle Seahawks as defensive coordinator and played an important role in the club advancing to the postseason twice. The Seahawks posted an 11-5 mark in 2012, the fourth-best in franchise history, and advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs.

Bradley developed the Seattle defense into one of the NFL’s top units during his tenure. The Seahawks ranked sixth in the NFL in total defense (319.2 yards per game) since 2011, third in points per game (17.5), fifth in takeaways (62), first in opponents passer rating (73.2) and fifth in interceptions (40).

Savage is not only excited to get the two coaching staffs in Mobile, but each organization’s personnel staffs, too.

"I have known both GM's of these two teams for years,” Savage said. “I have great respect for Thomas Dimitroff and what he has accomplished in Atlanta and David Caldwell is already putting his signature on the Jaguars as they turn things around in Jacksonville."

The Reese’s Senior Bowl game is January 25, 2014 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. Practices and the game are televised live on NFL Network.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: McCarron passed on Senior Bowl because he thinks he’s a top-20 pick

Posted by Mike Florio on January 17, 2014, 2:12 PM EST

Former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron won’t be attending the college all-star game played each year in Alabama.

Officially, he’s focusing on other pre-draft activities. Unofficially, according to John Middlekauff of 95.7 The Game in San Francisco, McCarron believes he doesn’t need to go to Mobile.

Per Middlekauff, McCarron already thinks he’ll be taken in the top 20. As a result, playing in the Senior Bowl would be more likely to hurt his draft stock than help it — especially if he emerges from the game with an injury.

Under that reasoning, McCarron doesn’t need to throw at the Scouting Combine, either. Plenty of top-tier quarterbacks choose to pass on the passing in Indianapolis, because they’re throwing to receivers with whom they have no familiarity.

The value of the Senior Bowl is debatable. The practice sessions have more value than the game, which several years ago produced an MVP named Pat White.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I see there is a NFLPA Bowl being played today in Carson City. Is this a college player all star bowl? I am not familiar with it was it previously called something else?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I see there is a NFLPA Bowl being played today in Carson City. Is this a college player all star bowl? I am not familiar with it was it previously called something else?
No, it is only been around a couple of years. Lowest level talent of all three of the games. East-West comes on at 4PM today.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Norris: Senior Bowl Preview
Sunday, January 19, 2014

With a record of nearly 100 prospects declaring for the draft, the number of top college players using all four years of eligibility is dwindling. Despite a few big-name dropouts (QB A.J. McCarron, OLB Khalil Mack, OLB Anthony Barr, T Jake Matthews, T Taylor Lewan, CB Darqueze Dennard, CB Justin Gilbert, CB Jason Verrett, ILB C.J. Mosley and S Lamarcus Joyner) the 2014 Senior Bowl remains loaded with early-round talent.

The Senior Bowl squads will be coached by two current NFL staffs (Jaguars and Falcons), adding an extra dimension to their evaluations. Be sure to keep in mind which prospects get called up due to injuries, as A.J. Jenkins, Alfred Morris and Terron Armstead were examples in recent years.

Just like my Shrine Week coverage, I will be constantly tweeting (@JoshNorris) and producing frequent articles.

All heights and weights are projected until weigh-ins take place early Monday.

“Evaluating the Evaluator” - Waldman

Before we dive into my top 20 prospects heading into the week, let us discuss the conclusions that can be drawn from practice. I have a baseline evaluation for every player attending this week, with the main goal of understanding where each player wins. This is important, since many of these prospects will be utilized in new ways and in a new environment this week. Therefore, their success might be limited or they might put forth poor performances. These will be written up in practice reports in a negative light, but sometimes without context.

Take Alfonzo Dennard for example. A few years ago, DBs coach Rahim Morris asked his corners to play off coverage during one on one drills, and Dennard was smoked play after play. He was used to pressing and getting physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage, then sticking with them downfield at his own pace. Dennard has improved in off coverage, but it has taken some time. His week of practice was bashed by many. I think it lacked understanding and context.

Practice notes are great and I learn so much from watching prospects this week. Just use your own judgement in some of the conclusions and do not be afraid to ask the author questions regarding certain performances.

Out Of Place

Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage is a smart man. He evaluates so many prospects on his own and is not afraid to ask NFL evaluators who they want to see and in what role. With that said, I believe some prospects will be practicing out of position this week. Or, at the very least, are listed in the wrong spot.

The corner group is thin thanks to some of the previously mentioned dropouts, so safety prospects like Wyoming’s Marqueston Huff and Wisconsin’s Dez Southward are listed as cornerbacks. That might get tricky when facing receivers like Robert Herron and Jared Abbrederis in practice. Other prospects that might be in a position to fail include: Edge rusher Michael Sam (listed as traditional OLB), Edge rusher Marcus Smith (listed as traditional OLB), OL Zack Martin (listed at T but I think his projection is at G), OL Brandon Thomas (listed at T but I think his projection is at G), Christian Jones (listed at ILB, which he has played, but did his best work as an edge rusher) and edge rusher Jeremiah Attaochu (listed as traditional OLB, but struggled when given multiple responsibilities outside of pass rushing).

Top 20 Attending

1. DT Will Sutton, Arizona State - I believe evaluators have been too critical of Sutton’s play this season due to a drop in production, and have used his weight as a crutch. He is not Jerel Worthy, who won by timing the snap to burst off the line and shoot gaps. Rather the foundation of Sutton’s game is hand use and leverage to work through his opposition, then quickness to close. Sutton takes advantage of space. Whether it be shooting past reach blocks in the sliver of time afforded to him thanks to an animated first step and forward lean, or hand use and quick feet to generate that separation on his own, Sutton finishes with closing speed. His flexibility to bend and gain positive positioning is tough to find. He likely as a three technique in a four man front, could play some in pass rushing situations. I would be foolish to overlook that he had poor games against STanford, as he spent far too much time on the ground. I like Matt Waldman’s comparison of La’Roi Glover.

2. DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh - Donald has excellent burst off the line to play on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Despite size knocks, he has good length and active hands. Able to get skinny to work through gaps and trash. Closing quickness is there to make tackles for loss. The productive Pitt Panther is an obvious nickel or dime rusher, but likely not limited to that. He disrupts fronts. Could see him lining up in a variety of sub-package sets at 1, 3, or 5 technique. Mike Daniels, who will get paid this offseason, is a good comparison.

3. DT Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota - Hageman has the build of a 5 technique, but I loved what I saw from him as a one or zero. There might be some Michael Brockers to his game, but a better athlete from a Combine perspective. Hageman has improved his hand use and motor, extending his arms against interior defensive linemen with less length to keep them off balance. His pad level can certainly improve, which would help to keep his opponent on skates, but Hageman looks to shed once finding a crease to disrupt the backfield. He might fit every defensive style, depending on how a team wants to develop him.

4. Edge rusher Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech - As a junior Attaochu was asked to do too much. That is why I have an issue with his listed position of outside linebacker. I don’t care if he stands up or is in a three point stance, as long as he lines up in an edge alignment and is not asked to do too much. Let him pick a spot in the backfield and run. No dropping into coverage or checking what the offense is doing, at least at this point in his career. Attaochu has burst, strength in his hands, and bend to go along with good movement skills to work back inside on an oversetting offensive lineman. I would not be surprised if he ultimately goes in the first-round, but that team’s fit and plan.

5. Edge rusher Marcus Smith, Louisville - With Vic Beasley staying in school, Smith might be the edge rusher to replace him in the top 40 picks. The more I watched the Cardinal, the more I liked him. Not only can he bend around tackles, Smith loves to chase from the backside and converts speed to power with good length and hand use. I know I keep bringing up hands and technical skill, but it really does set great rushers that can win on counter moves apart from good ones that have one trick. Like Attaochu, I don’t care how Smith lines up as much as where.

6. QB Derek Carr, Fresno State - Has an incredible arm, not only when discussing velocity but also touch. Is forced to throw a lot of screens, but is an excellent vertical passer when given the opportunity. Shows athleticism when scrambling outside of the pocket. Aren’t many windows he can’t test. Carr doesn’t always throw from a balanced base, but he has improved willingness to take a hit on release. His footwork can be a mess, though, and that will frustrate the fanbase where he lands, similarly to Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford. Carr has a great arm and he knows it. Take a look at Greg Peshek’s QB Metrics.

7. WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt - I doubt the attending South CBs, like Keith McGill, Jaylen Watkins and Aaron Colvin, will have much of a chance at stopping Matthews in one on one situations. The veteran receiver truly is a technical player and wastes little movement after the catch. This aspect of his game is often overlooked, and Matthews displayed good burst and long speed with strides once catching slants or screens. He is a hands catcher and does not might extending at the catch point in contested situations. other prospects might test better, but Matthews is in that top-40 range along with numerous other receivers.

8. OL Zack Martin, Notre Dame - Martin is expected to play tackle this week, something he did at Notre Dame (left side), but I prefer him at guard. On an island out on the edge, Martin has a wide base and struggles against mobile rushers that can weave fluidly between lanes. His hands and functional strength are really good though, and his lower half anchor holds up in tight spaces. I would not be surprised if he is the first guard selected in the draft.

9. Edge rusher Dee Ford, Auburn - Ford is not just a speed rusher. He uses his hands much better than many prospects with better size. Check out his game against Texas A&M’s Cedric Ogbuehi, as the Auburn Tiger kept forcing an athletic right tackle to readjust his hand placement while anchoring his lower half. Ford is also not a liability against the run.

10. OL Seantrel Henderson, Miami - This might be a little high for Henderson from a draft projection perspective, but the tackle can be as good as he wants to be. Few have the same combination of athleticism and power. Henderson seemed to turn a corner in the last few weeks of the year, and even though he was a rotational player at right tackle, I think he can move over to the left side. If Henderson lands with the right team, he will live up to expectations that have surrounded him since high school.

11. QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois - Garoppolo has quick feet, quick eyes, and a quick release. As long as a quarterback can find open throwing lanes and/or throw from multiple platforms, I do not care about their height, but some evaluators were happy to see Garoppolo measure in over 6’2 and with a hand size of 9.13 inches.

Teams will likely question his ability to work from center and hit patterns with timing and anticipation. Garoppolo certainly works through multiple reads, but there is a bit of an improvisational style to it. The progressions seem to be at his pace.

Many offenses rely on quick decision makers with a quick release, and Garoppolo can absolutely check these boxes. Things change a bit when pressured, as the quarterback has a tendency to drift laterally rather than step up or work from a phone booth. Garoppolo will end up in the crowded tier of passers after the top four, but do not be surprised if he tops that group. He displays mobility, touch, velocity, placement and a willingness to hit receivers at every level of the field. A second day selection is within reach for Garoppolo.

12. S Jimmie Ward, NIU - I know Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, and Lamarcus joyner draw most of the attention among safeties, but Ward is a legitimate prospect. He flashes range in the deep half while displaying aggressiveness when lining up close to the box. Ward was asked to play some man against tight ends and receivers while at NIU and did very well. I was a big fan of Johnathan Cyprien prior to the Senior Bowl last year, and Ward is the top safety attending this week.

13. OL Billy Turner, North Dakota State - Technique is not Billy the Bully’s strong suit, but his functional strength makes up for it. We discuss improvisational skill with quarterbacks and ball carriers, but Turner is a very unique blocker. I am positive he will get yelled at during individual sessions by NFL offensive line coaches because his posture is tall and he is unconventional. Turner will shine in team drills, especially running periods. Turner might stick at tackle, but he can play guard because of his willingness to adjust with a solid punch and grip in tighter spaces.

14. WR Robert Herron, Wyoming - The receiver group at the Senior Bowl lacks top end talent, but Herron is a good one. Jalen Saunders and Michael Campanaro will be viewed as solely slot receivers, but Herron wins from this area too. He is so quick and fluid off the snap that defensive backs have a tough time getting, and especially keeping, contact. That release creates separation and is only increased with his speed. He pulled off some acrobatic catches during his time at Wyoming as well.

15. OL Brandon Thomas, Clemson - I like Thomas at G a lot more than I do at T, but that is solely a projection. Thomas is playing the latter this week, so be sure to note his athleticism in space. He does have an athletic lower half, which helps Thomas mirror fluid rushers. The Clemson product did very well against Jadeveon Clowney for this very reason. Thomas also utilizes his reach to punch. I would not be surprised if his arm length checks in longer than many comparable players of his size.

16. T Jack Mewhort, Ohio State - Mewhort loves to use length and hands to latch on to his opponents in an effort to control them. Snap after snap, Mewhort held on to their chest plate and prevented sustained momentum and attempted counter moves. He was not rocked on first contact often, but I want to see what happens when Mewhort is off balance.

17. LB Telvin Smith, FSU - I am a huge fan of Telvin Smith, especially prior to the season when he was not on many radars. With that said, I do think he is a late second to early third day pick. Smith is very athletic, that is apparent in his closing speed with a free lane to the backfield or on the edge. He does tend to overrun plays and lacks physicality to stick with receivers in coverage. The tools are there, and I think Telvin could wind up being a very solid weakside linebacker.

18. DT Daquan Jones, Penn State - Sorry for repeating myself, but hand use, hand use, hand use. Jones is one of the better counter move rushers from the interior in this class. Jones does not have a great initial burst or punch to jolt offensive lineman, therefore he frequently winds up in their grasp, but Jones is active to readjust his hands for better leverage. He lifts, pushes and pulls to create a balance advantage and either walks his opposition back into the quarterback or frees himself.

19. DL Brent Urban, Virginia - I think the NFL values Urban higher than many in the draft community at this point, similarly to Derek Wolfe a few years ago. Urban lines up inside at the 3 and 1, but also sees time as a 5 technique end. Urban has balance issues when moving laterally, but he can be effective in a straight-line.

20. LB Christian Kirksey, Iowa - Kirksey might have been the biggest surprise while researching the event. James Morris drew attention at Iowa, but Kirksey was really impressive. He saw time at weakside linebacker out in space over tight ends and slot receivers, but also line up over ends at the line of scrimmage. He is better suited for the weakside role, but Kirksey might be one of the better coverage linebackers in this entire class. He does not mind physical interactions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: McCarron passed on Senior Bowl because he thinks he’s a top-20 pick.
That man needs a better adviser if he thinks he is already a top 20 draft pick. The funny thing is if he went out there and rocked the Senior Bowl he may have had a chance at a serious climb like that. Instead he will be a second/third round pick at best.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That man needs better a better adviser if he thinks he is already a top 20 draft pick. The funny thing is if he went out there and rocked the Senior Bowl he may have had a chance at a serious climb like that. Instead he will be a second/third round pick at best.
I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole if he already feels he's better than he is. No way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
20. LB Christian Kirksey, Iowa - Kirksey might have been the biggest surprise while researching the event. James Morris drew attention at Iowa, but Kirksey was really impressive. He saw time at weakside linebacker out in space over tight ends and slot receivers, but also line up over ends at the line of scrimmage. He is better suited for the weakside role, but Kirksey might be one of the better coverage linebackers in this entire class. He does not mind physical interactions.

Iowa has some excellent LBers in this draft that probably won't go until the fourth round or later. Kirksey is a guy that would fit our scheme perfectly and I would love to see in Dallas. Also wouldn't mind seeing Jame Morris as a backup to Sean Lee depending on how late he is available. Both guys are excellent in coverage but were also a huge part of the reason Iowa's run defense was excellent most of they year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry has already marked off that none of them can possibly fit our scheme.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
These weigh ins need a "quick twitch" measurement.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Eh..off our draft board.

We should be down to like 200 players in no time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

What little chance we had at nabbing him in the 2nd is going out the window this week.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

What little chance we had at nabbing him in the 2nd is going out the window this week.
I wasn't one of the folks who thought he was a second rounder. I firmly believe he's a first rounder and if he keeps kicking ass like he did today, he might not even last until our pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's North practice

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 20, 2014 7:36 pm ET

MOBILE, Ala. – The North squad suited up at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on Monday afternoon and practiced as the wind picked up and sun started to set, disappearing behind the stadium's elevated press box.

The Falcons coaching staff, led by head coach Mike Smith, led a well-organized practice with hundreds of scouts, coaches and evaluators looking on from the stands. Atlanta's general manager Thomas Dimitroff had a front row seat, viewing the practice on the field next to his coaching staff. The important takeaway from Monday is to isolate where certain prospects struggled in order to see if they show improvement on Tuesday, Wednesday and the rest of the week. A prospect's ability to respond to NFL coaching is a substantial part of Senior Bowl week, especially in an unfamiliar setting.

Like Rob Rang's report on the South team, I deciphered my practice notes into 10 coherent observations from the North team's practice on Monday.

1. DT Aaron Donald was an unstoppable force on Monday. Like his play all season, the Pitt defensive tackle was extremely quick in drills and was relentless from snap to whistle. His burst and anticipation off the snap and active energy to fight through and around blocks make him tough for any blocker to handle. Donald repeatedly victimized Baylor OG Cyril Richardson at practice, winning with leverage, hustle and fluidity that Richardson has likely never seen before on the football field. Donald's skill-set is ideal for one-on-one drills so he should shine, but the NFL team that drafts him will get a really good football player.

2. I feel for the wide receivers on the North team due to the inconsistency from all three quarterbacks on the roster. Miami QB Stephen Morris, Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas and Clemson QB Tajh Boyd were all inconsistent on day one, which was almost expected after the up-and-down senior seasons of all three. Boyd in particular struggled with accuracy and his ball placement is a strong concern. Thomas threw a few pretty passes that hit receivers between the numbers, but other fastballs hit the ground or sailed over his intended target. The good news for this group? The only place to go from here is up.

3. Speaking of the wide receivers, I really like the group on the North team. The South squad might have the only senior wideout who ends up being drafted in the top-50 picks (Jordan Matthews), but the mid-round talent at receiver on the North is above average. Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis, Wyoming WR Robert Herron and Oregon WR Josh Huff all looked good on Monday before, after and during the catch. All three have a legitimate chance to be drafted in the top-100 and Monday reminded everyone why.

4. Ohio State OT Jack Mewhort lined up at right tackle and did an excellent job sinking his butt, digging his cleats in the ground and stonewalling rushers. He lined up across from North Carolina DE Kareem Martin (and his long 34 3/8” arms) several times and Mewhort did an excellent job combating hand moves and riding him past the pocket. The former Buckeye is built well for the right tackle position at 6-6 and 306 pounds and has shown consistent improvement from his underclassmen days.

5. Miami OT Seantrel Henderson continues to be a mystery. He flashed on Monday with his strong, heavy hands to punch and control rushers. But his snap anticipation and balance were up-and-down throughout drills. It's been said time and time again, but if a NFL coaching staff can get Henderson to play focused and ambitious, they'll land themselves a very good player. He is a player to watch this week to see how he responds to the instructions of the Falcons' coaching staff.

6. Linenwood CB Pierre Desir and Nebraska CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste are both tall, long defensive backs who have the athleticism to turn and run with receivers downfield. They both did a nice job in press-man to get physical at the line of scrimmage and then ride the receiver through the route, although both got away with a little too much holding. Neither are elite when controlling their start/stop momentum, but neither are allergic to contact either. And with several teams who utilize press-man techniques on defense looking for the next Richard Sherman, both Desir and Jean-Baptiste are players to watch this week.

7. As I mentioned in my Senior Bowl preview, Northern Illinois S Jimmie Ward is the top safety prospect in Mobile this week in my opinion and he played like it on Monday. He overcame a few poor angles early and put together a good practice, showing off his foot quickness and aggressive instincts. A Mobile-native, Ward could make a case to be the top defensive back overall this week.

8. Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis picked up right where he left off last week at the Shrine Game, using his quickness and snap anticipation to surge past blockers before they were in a stance. He is a quick thinker and reacts well to what the blocker wants to do, either attacking with pure momentum or using a spin or sidestep move to get past him. Ellis, who weighed nine pounds lighter from the Shrine Game weigh-ins, has helped himself as much as anyone the past two weeks and shouldn't last long on the draft's third day.

9. Clemson OT Brandon Thomas played left tackle in college, but he projects better at guard where he can operate in a smaller space and that showed in practice on Monday. He measured in at 34 3/8” arms and will use that length to engage and bury defenders – just ask fellow ACC prospect DE James Gayle out of Virginia Tech who Thomas dominated a few times. But the former Clemson blocker also struggled in space during drills, bringing up questions on whether or not he should stay on the edges.

10. Yes, he plays on the South squad and this is a North practice review, but I feel compelled to mention North Dakota State OL Billy Turner. He lined up at guard and tackle during practice and showed off his quick feet, upper body strength and mean punch to handle rushers. If Turner can learn to consistently sink his hips and not bend so much at the waist, I truly believe there are several Pro Bowls in his future.
---------------------------

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2014 Senior Bowl: 10 observations from Monday's South practice

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

January 20, 2014 5:50 pm ET

The first practice of the 2014 Senior Bowl featured noteworthy performances by the recognizable stars from powerhouses FBS programs you might expect, but a handful of small school prospects also proved capable of handling the big stage.

Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley and his staff led the South team through a spirited, scripted practice at Fairhope Stadium which featured plenty of one on one matchups, allowing the hundreds of scouts and fans in the stands to evaluate the athleticism of the prospects. Players sported helmets, shoulder pads and plenty of physicality but were not wearing thigh pads and tackling -- as is virtually always the case in all-star game practices -- was forbidden.

Rather than focus on any one positional group on the first day, I kept my eyes open and head on a swivel. Here are 10 observations from Monday's South practice.

1. Of the South's quarterbacks, Fresno State's Derek Carr unquestionably possesses the best arm. The ball explodes out of his hand and caught a few of his new teammates by surprise with how quickly it got to them. Carr showed good anticipation, often delivering passes before his receivers turned back to look for the ball.

2. Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo continued the positive momentum he'd gained from the East-West Shrine Game with an impressive initial practice. While he does not possess Carr's howitzer, Garoppolo has a very quick set-up and release and frequently threw led his receivers away from defenders, showing better ball-placement than Carr on several of his throws.

3. On the defensive side of the ball, Oklahoma cornerback Aaron Colvin demonsrated good speed and fluidity in coverage, as well as excellent leaping ability and timing to knock away passes.

4. Tennessee right tackle Ju'Wuan James hasn't received a lot of fanfare but he is a smooth athlete at 6-foot-6, 315 pounds. He was beaten on occasion but plays with terrific knee bend and got to the second level during scrimmages.

5. As impressive James was, arguably the most impressive offensive lineman of the day was North Dakota State's Billy Turner, who possesses a very similar build at 6-foot-5, 316 pounds. Unlike James, Turner struggles a bit with leverage, bending at the waist rather than the knees but he has strong hands and is a good athlete who projects as a quality NFL starter with a little refinement. His upside could push Turner into the top 100 picks, if he isn't there already.

6. Given his 6-foot-2, 243-pound frame, perhaps it isn't surprising that Auburn's Dee Ford was the most explosive of the South's pass-rushers but he certainly showed the burst to catch the attention of every scout in the stands. Ford is stronger than his size indicates and carried over the strong senior campaign that helped his Tigers qualify for the national championship game into Monday's practice.

7. While Ford played well, his former Auburn teammates, Chris Davis, struggled a bit fielding punts early in the practice. Davis has a tendency to allow the ball to hit his chest plate, which results in some double-clutching. Oklahoma's Jalen Saunders also struggled in this area. The former Sooners' star also dropped a couple of passes.

8. San Jose State quarterback David Fales is more of a gamer than a practice-guy but his lack of ideal arm-strength, unfortunately, stood out in comparison to Carr and, to a lesser-extent, Garoppolo. Fales telegraphed some throws (including a short pass over the middle that was intercepted by LSU linebacker Lamin Barrow) and his passes to the perimeter had too much air under them.

9. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton didn't have the most impressive weigh-in but he showed off his athleticism with a terrific spin move to beat Arkansas center Travis Swanson (who was playing guard) during one-on-one drills late in practice.

10. Of the linebackers, I was most impressed with BYU's Kyle Van Noy, who frequently is lauded for his ability at the line of scrimmage but showed off his fluidity and instincts in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multliple passes.

Top Bottom