Machota: Jerry Jones says DeMarco Murray brings something Cowboys ‘can’t do without’

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
i said don't give him an extension - try to re-sign him once his contract is up
That would be due to happen between now and the end of the season. What would be worse a 3 year extension or a 3 year contract?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That would be due to happen between now and the end of the season. What would be worse a 3 year extension or a 3 year contract?
If he makes it to the bye week uninjured I wouldn't mind seeing him get 2-3 year extension

superpunk

Banned
extension

because i don't trust us not to overpay a RB

see what the market value is. recently, everytime a RB hits it they end up being cheap. maybe we lose him maybe we don't. he's not that special.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
extension

because i don't trust us not to overpay a RB

see what the market value is. recently, everytime a RB hits it they end up being cheap. maybe we lose him maybe we don't. he's not that special.
I don't think he is that high paid now but really don't know what he makes.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't think he is that high paid now but really don't know what he makes.
He's making 1.4 mil this year and it's the last of his rookie contract, if our front office was smart they would bring up Williams and use a rbbc system. Not only would it save wear on Murray it would also keep his yardage total down and might help lower his market value some.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He's making 1.4 mil this year and it's the last of his rookie contract, if our front office was smart they would bring up Williams and use a rbbc system. Not only would it save wear on Murray it would also keep his yardage total down and might help lower his market value some.
Yep. But they won't.

shane

DCC 4Life
He is a good candidate to let walk at the end of the season. With the offensive line, it seems like they could get good output with a platoon of decent guys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They won't do it now because they are riding the horse in Murray, but they will before the season is over I bet. He will get worn down or hurt.

They do need to be careful though. RB health is not exactly the best right now league-wide. It is just a matter of time before someone comes calling on Williams.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am all for bring Williams up but by NFL standards he is far from being overpaid if that is what he gets. That is cheap for a thousand yard plus rusher.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We could always replace him with Ameer Abdullah.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't get the push to get rid of Murray. He is one of the bright spots on the team and is modestly paid by comparative standards. I don't want to see an idiotic contract offered but I certainly want the organization to keep him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't get the push to get rid of Murray. He is one of the bright spots on the team and is modestly paid by comparative standards. I don't want to see an idiotic contract offered but I certainly want the organization to keep him.
I don't think anyone is pushing him out the door, but you have to be smart about it. He is having an excellent year and has produced when healthy, but his running style does not translate to a long career. Look no further than MBIII when wondering why you do not tie up RBs to big money deals. Couple that with Peterson possibly hitting the market...you may have a chance to upgrade...possibly for cheaper. Peterson may have to take less money after his bad press.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think anyone is pushing him out the door, but you have to be smart about it. He is having an excellent year and has produced when healthy, but his running style does not translate to a long career. Look no further than MBIII when wondering why you do not tie up RBs to big money deals. Couple that with Peterson possibly hitting the market...you may have a chance to upgrade...possibly for cheaper. Peterson may have to take less money after his bad press.
If Peterson becomes available it will be because of the stigma associated with him now. If the Vikings don't want him for that reason why would anyone else, including Dallas. If he is attractive to another club they will likely offer more than what Murray is getting now. MB 111 was a stupid decision that I don't want to see repeated either. With a tandem of Murray and Williams you would have one of the best in the league and probably for less money than Peterson.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If Peterson becomes available it will be because of the stigma associated with him now. If the Vikings don't want him for that reason why would anyone else, including Dallas. If he is attractive to another club they will likely offer more than what Murray is getting now. MB 111 was a stupid decision that I don't want to see repeated either. With a tandem of Murray and Williams you would have one of the best in the league and probably for less money than Peterson.
That stigma associated with Peterson will not lower his yards per carry average though. Also, if he does have a stigma associated with him it would only lower his cost.

I don't dispute that having Murray as a part of a tandem would be excellent, but I also don't think we can just say Williams is part of the answer either. It would be nice if he was, but he has not produced one bit on the pro level...now he is part of a great projected tandem. Might want to wait and see.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That stigma associated with Peterson will not lower his yards per carry average though. Also, if he does have a stigma associated with him it would only lower his cost.

I don't dispute that having Murray as a part of a tandem would be excellent, but I also don't think we can just say Williams is part of the answer either. It would be nice if he was, but he has not produced one bit on the pro level...now he is part of a great projected tandem. Might want to wait and see.
Williams has already produced as a RB elsewhere.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The only reason Murray is making as little as he does is it's the last year of his rookie contract, even with deflated rb market I see him getting at least 4-5mil per year from someone(if he stays healthy all year) when he signs his next contract. I would only want to extend him if he gave us a hometeam discount.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Virginia Tech. He was injured while at the Cardinals.
Come on man...this is dumb. We are using college stats now? Meanwhile, I clearly said he has not produced at the pro level.

Top Bottom