ESPN: Free-agency grades for all 32 teams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Free-agency grades for all 32 teams

March, 25, 2014

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

The first two weeks of the NFL free-agent signing period featured multiple trades, high-profile cuts, a notorious failed physical examination in Oakland and battles over players between heated rivals. Rosters changed quickly as 405 unrestricted free agents hit the market. More than 100 of these UFAs have already changed teams. Nearly as many have re-signed with their 2013 teams. Teams aren't finished, but enough time has passed to make some initial assessments.

So, which teams fared the best? Which fared the worst? Which ones treaded water? Although the signing period remains open, the big money has been spent. It's time to sort through the transactions to hand out grades for all 32 teams.

ESPN Insiders Bill Polian, Louis Riddick, Matt Williamson and Field Yates joined me in sizing up what every team accomplished. Sources around the league also provided input. There were conflicting views and gray areas, plus some bold declarations. In every case, we tried to consider not only what teams accomplished but also the broader context. Moves that made sense for one team would have made little sense for another. Player valuation was also part of the equation, one reason the Atlanta Falcons fared worse than the Kansas City Chiefs.

A GRADES

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Grade: A

Key signings: C Evan Dietrich-Smith, CB Alterraun Verner, DE Michael Johnson, CB Mike Jenkins, TE Brandon Myers, T Anthony Collins, DT Clinton McDonald, QB Josh McCown
Key subtractions: T Donald Penn, G Davin Joseph, CB Darrelle Revis, Jeremy Zuttah (traded to Ravens)

Releasing Revis opened the Buccaneers to criticism because he was arguably their most talented player on defense, at least when healthy. And, when the team named 34-year-old McCown its starting quarterback, it was fair to wonder whether the move undermined Mike Glennon in the long run. That was my initial thought, anyway. Polian couldn’t have been a bigger fan of Tampa Bay's moves, however.

"This may be the best job ever done in free agency, maybe since Green Bay signed Reggie White," Polian said. "They got rid of a lot of guys who either didn't fit, cost too much or were bad guys, and they added good guys and who fit perfectly at good prices. Dietrich-Smith is a really good player. Verner is a perfect Cover 2 corner. Michael Johnson is a little overpaid, but he will be very productive in that system. McCown will be the quarterback and a great mentor for [Glennon]."

A former personnel director familiar with the Buccaneers' thinking applauded Tampa Bay for aggressively targeting players to fit the new coaching staff. He pointed to the traditional color-coded scouting grades -- blue, red, purple, orange, etc. -- and said the Buccaneers emerged from the early stages of free agency with possibly only one "orange" (translation: below-average, backup level) starter on defense, putting head coach Lovie Smith in great position on that side of the ball.

"Their secondary is really good for what Lovie is going to do," he said. "The Mike linebacker and Will linebacker are perfect. They have three defensive ends and three inside guys. There is no 'orange' in that mix except at Sam linebacker, which is one position in that defense where it's OK."

The downside? "Lovie just wants old quarterbacks who don't make plays and don't hurt anyone, and that is what he got," Williamson said of McCown. "If I were a team needing a QB, I would be calling about Glennon. On defense, Verner is a better fit than Revis, but you are not better at that position."

Riddick put Tampa Bay and Arizona at the top of his list when ranking which teams had the best signing period thus far. "Tampa Bay, even though it's a lot of transactions and a lot of players to implement into a new scheme for everybody, they all fit the profile you associate with Lovie Smith and [defensive coordinator] Leslie Frazier in particular," Riddick said. "Verner is one of the great values in terms of what they paid for him, where he slots in with other veteran UFA deals and how they are going to use him. That is one of the best signings in all of free agency. McCown, whether he is the starter or not, you know it is solid and will work out. Michael Johnson is the only one that scares me. He can be hell on wheels, unblockable, a massive man, or he can play like he's 6 feet tall and 240 pounds."

B GRADES

Arizona Cardinals
Grade: B+

Key signings: LT Jared Veldheer, CB Antonio Cromartie, WR Ted Ginn Jr., RB Jonathan Dwyer
Key subtractions: LB Karlos Dansby, WR Andre Roberts, G Daryn Colledge

The Cardinals badly needed a left tackle, and they found one early in free agency when Veldheer agreed to a deal with $10.5 million in fully guaranteed money. The value seemed right when you consider Branden Albert ($20 million) and Eugene Monroe ($19 million) got much more in that category. The Cardinals went into last season with two starting tackles who weren't even on their roster when training camp opened. Veldheer puts them on firmer footing this year, particularly with 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper returning from injury and taking over at left guard.

"Not a ton of moves here, but I really liked their decision to aggressively pursue Veldheer, the best left tackle out there in my estimation," Yates said. "Additionally, the money was fair value given the market. Re-signing Matt Shaughnessy doesn't do much to move the needle nationally, but he was terrific setting the edge as a run defender last year."

Free agency isn't just about adding players. It's about showing the discipline required to get good value, especially for teams building for the longer term. Keeping Dansby would have been nice, but the price Cleveland paid to wrest him away from Arizona went beyond what the Cardinals were willing to pay a 32-year-old linebacker. That was understandable. The Cardinals prepared for this moment by using a 2013 second-round pick on Kevin Minter, who now must play.

"Letting Dansby go and having Minter and Daryl Washington step in as the inside guys is how you build a team," Riddick said. "That is a smart move that goes under the radar. Ginn will help. Veldheer, while not spectacular, is very solid and a great kid. Dwyer has started to hit his stride, and his familiarity with [Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians] is key, too."

Arizona's patience in free agency also allowed the team to scoop up cornerback Cromartie on the cheap. Pairing Cromartie with Patrick Peterson arguably gives the Cardinals the top starting corner tandem in the NFC West, although that is not a given, considering the talent in that division.

New England Patriots

Key signings: CB Darrelle Revis, WR Julian Edelman, WR Brandon LaFell, CB Brandon Browner
Key subtractions: CB Aqib Talib, LB Brandon Spikes

Losing Talib could have hurt, but the Patriots came out looking smart when Revis fell into their laps on a one-year commitment with no long-term risk. Adding Browner on another low-risk deal armed the Patriots with two physical corners. Pro Football Focus had Revis ranked first and Talib ranked 58th in cumulative grading for cornerbacks last season. Others I consulted thought Revis would still need to prove he could regain top form after the ACL surgery he underwent in 2012.

"Tampa paid Revis $16 million to rehab," Polian said. "We won't know 'til this year."

Adding Revis and keeping Edelman made free agency a success for New England. A dead market for running backs should help the team keep LeGarrette Blount, their other priority free agent. News that defensive tackle Vince Wilfork wasn't happy about his contract situation surfaced after New England made the move for Revis. That was understandable from Wilfork's perspective, but it's tough to fault the Patriots for a move that made them better.

Denver Broncos

Key signings: CB Aqib Talib, S T.J. Ward, WR Emmanuel Sanders, DE DeMarcus Ware
Key subtractions: WR Eric Decker, G Zane Beadles, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, LB Wesley Woodyard, CB Champ Bailey

On the surface, Denver paid out huge money for an older player (Ware) and one with an inconsistent track record on and off the field (Talib). That generally is not the way to go in free agency. However, the deals for Ware and especially for Talib follow the "pay-as-you-go" model that protects teams from future salary-cap damage if a marriage doesn't turn out as hoped. The Broncos will get good value as long as they get good 2014 seasons from Ware and Talib. They could bail from both deals after one year without compromising future plans.

"I like the toughness and the competitive profiles of the players they added," Riddick said. "I wonder about the value for Ware. He should be a pass-rusher strictly at this point. I like that they let Beadles go, as he was a little overrated. I liked the Andre Caldwell re-signing because, when he got his shot with Wes Welker out, he had a big game. Sanders is not as big or strong down the field on contested balls as Decker would be, but he is fast, he is competitive, he can hit the home run and, for the value they are getting, they will be just fine."

Talib stands to earn $12 million this year, but he'll have to remain on the roster to collect the injury-only guarantees stipulated in his contract for the second and third years. Ware is getting more in fully guaranteed money ($16.5 million), including $3.5 million in 2015. That second-year commitment makes his signing a little riskier.

These moves wouldn't have made as much sense for a team further from contending for a title. But in this case, taking a "win-now" mentality will not require Denver to pay a heavy price later.

Chicago Bears

Key signings: DE Jared Allen, DL Lamarr Houston, DE Willie Young, S Ryan Mundy, CB Charles Tillman, LB D.J. Williams, S M.D. Jennings, LB Jordan Senn
Key subtractions: DE Julius Peppers, QB Josh McCown, DT Henry Melton, WR Devin Hester, RB Michael Bush, DT Corey Wootton

The Bears made a hard push for Michael Bennett before the signing period opened, only to come up short. They rebounded nicely by adding Houston from the Raiders and Allen from the Vikings. One secondary question is whether McCown's departure will negatively affect Jay Cutler, but conventional wisdom says a team can realistically pay just one quarterback. Chicago bet big on Cutler, but its quarterback room will be worse off for McCown's departure.

Peppers and Melton did not provide great return on investment last season, so the Bears moved on without them. Their defense remains in transition.

"When it is all said and done, what will they look like defensively?" Polian asked before the team added Allen. "We don't know yet because the system is changing, but nonetheless, the Bears did a pretty good job. Houston is a good signing, Young is a good signing, Senn is a good special-teams signing. They got Tillman back. Not bad."

Chicago did dump some older players, but the Bears added or re-signed nine players 29 or older, counting Allen. Houston, 26, was one of their younger signings.

"I like Houston a lot," Williamson said. "He is exactly what they need -- a big, run-stuffing end. He can play the three-technique in a pinch, too. Young is a starting-caliber defensive end, and the arrow is pointing up. I still want them to draft the best defensive player they can get, no matter what, because they are set on offense and the defense is still taking shape."

Jacksonville Jaguars

Key signings: G Zane Beadles, DE Ziggy Hood, DE Chris Clemons, DE Red Bryant, DE Jason Babin, CB Will Blackmon
Key subtractions: RB Maurice Jones-Drew, C Brad Meester, QB Blaine Gabbert (traded)

Like the Buccaneers, the Jaguars found players ideally suited for the schemes they run. Clemons and Bryant can plug directly into the defense thanks to their experience under Jags head coach Gus Bradley in Seattle. Getting a sixth-round pick from San Francisco for Gabbert seemed admirable one year after the 49ers spent a sixth-rounder for Anquan Boldin. Gabbert was finished in Jacksonville.

"The Jaguars have quietly added potentially close to 10 new starters, and they haven't excessively paid for any," Yates said. "They found value in players such as Bryant and Clemons while addressing key areas such as the offensive line with Beadles. What is perhaps best about their efforts is that many of their deals are constructed in such a way that they amount to year-by-year decisions. That allows them to evaluate each player each season and move on without major financial penalty."

The Jaguars basically pulled off what the Raiders should have pulled off. Both teams were severely lacking in talent.

"The Jaguars got solid role players at good prices, and they needed guys who were at least professional," Polian said. "They did not have many. They added seven professional guys at great prices. That is good. And they got rid of Gabbert."

Miami Dolphins
Grade: B

Key signings: LT Branden Albert, DL Earl Mitchell, G Shelley Smith, DT Randy Starks, CB Cortland Finnegan
Key subtractions: T Jonathan Martin, G Richie Incognito, CB Nolan Carroll, DL Paul Soliai

Free agency is about filling needs. The Dolphins' needs on the offensive line, particularly at tackle, were about as pronounced as any team's needs at any position. Moving aggressively to land Albert early in free agency made sense for the Dolphins under the circumstances.

"They did a nice job," Polian said. "Albert, while not the answer, is a helluva lot better than what they had. Mitchell is a big upgrade. They had to keep Starks. Finnegan is two continents better than Carroll. By and large, excellent work."

The Dolphins appear close to set on defense.

"I'd rather have Mitchell than Soliai, and keeping Brent Grimes was huge," Williamson said. "Shelley Smith is a vastly underrated pickup. They still need a running back, but who cares? They are clearly the second-best team in the AFC East right now."

Detroit Lions

Key signings: WR Golden Tate, DE Darryl Tapp, TE Brandon Pettigrew
Key subtractions: DE Willie Young, S Louis Delmas, WR Nate Burleson

A cap manager who followed the receiver market closely analyzed the Tate contract and liked it from the Lions' perspective. He liked how the three-year cap average lined up with the overall average, noting that Detroit could easily escape the deal before the fourth season if the outlook changes.

"I like Tate," Williamson said. "Tate is a good pickup and a really good complement to Calvin Johnson. That was their biggest need position, and now I think they can sit back on draft day and take the best defensive players available, particularly in the secondary. I'm a big believer in using free agency to set yourself up in the draft, and Detroit has done that here."

The Lions weren't particularly active early, but they didn't have to be.

Philadelphia Eagles

Key signings: FS Malcolm Jenkins, SS Nate Allen, RB Darren Sproles (acquired via trade)
Key subtractions: WR Jason Avant

The Eagles went into free agency without many objectives after re-signing left tackle Jason Peters, center Jason Kelce, and receivers Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin. They will go into the draft with relatively few needs after re-signing Allen and adding Jenkins from New Orleans.

"I was praising them before free agency even opened," Williamson said. "They kept their own, including a bunch of guys familiar with that offense now. I don't like Jenkins that much, but safety was their biggest need and it is filled now. They are set up to take the best defensive player available throughout the entire draft. That is how I look at it."

Adding Sproles from New Orleans seemed like a luxury buy, but, with Chip Kelly there, the Eagles can get great value out of Sproles' skill set.

"That one will be interesting to see," Riddick said. "There are some down there in New Orleans who thought Darren's best days were long behind him and the wall was approaching faster than outsiders think. They made a calculated bet, and we'll see which team is right there. You just know the Saints know more about him than anybody else knows about him."

New Orleans Saints

Key signings: S Jairus Byrd, T Zach Strief
Key subtractions: RB Darren Sproles (traded), CB Jabari Greer, WR Lance Moore, SS Roman Harper, DE Will Smith, FS Malcolm Jenkins

The Byrd signing was an aggressive move that made the Saints appear somewhat impervious to salary-cap restraints, but look at that list of players they subtracted. Are they really better?

"For guys [facing salary-cap pressure], they did a heckuva job," Polian said. "You could argue Byrd is overpaid, but every free agent is overpaid. Rob Ryan needs a guy like him in the secondary, so you have to think he'll make him productive. Sproles is a tough loss, though."

Riddick liked the way New Orleans parted with older, declining players such as Harper and Sproles. He also liked the expected dynamic between Byrd and fellow safety Kenny Vaccaro.

"I'm not a big Strief fan, and it'll be interesting to see whether he winds up being a starter or a depth player," Riddick said. "Byrd should make them better. I like how they are constructing their team even though they paid out the nose for Byrd."

Minnesota Vikings
Grade: B-

Key signings: CB Captain Munnerlyn, DT Linval Joseph, DT Corey Wootten, G Charlie Johnson, DE Everson Griffen, WR Jerome Simpson, QB Matt Cassel, DT Fred Evans, CB Derek Cox, LB Jasper Brinkley
Key subtractions: DE Jared Allen, CB Chris Cook, RB Toby Gerhart, LB Erin Henderson, TE John Carlson, DT Letroy Guion

The Vikings placed a big bet on Griffen after Michael Johnson signed with Tampa Bay instead. Money well spent, or a panicky reaction?

"Griffen could go off the deep end," Polian said. "Munnerlyn was a good pickup. Simpson, eh. Cassel, they did the right thing. Evans, not bad. Cox cannot play. On balance, OK."

How you view the Griffen signing likely will determine how you view the Vikings in free agency. Griffen is getting $19.8 million fully guaranteed.

"I'm a big Griffen fan and thought he would get big play in the market because there are only three immediate impact pass-rushers in the draft," Riddick said. "I like that re-sign. They were smart with the guys they let walk. I don't think Allen would be worth the money he wanted. It's not about what you have done; it's about what you are going to do."

San Francisco 49ers

Key signings: S Antoine Bethea, CB Chris Cook, CB Eric Wright, K Phil Dawson, T Jonathan Martin (trade), QB Blaine Gabbert (trade)
Key subtractions: SS Donte Whitner, CB Tarell Brown, WR Mario Manningham, FB Anthony Dixon, CB Carlos Rogers

The 49ers have not been big spenders in free agency the past few seasons. They haven't had to be, for one. The team also believes in rewarding its own players before rewarding outsiders. That's why the rumors linking San Francisco to a deal for DeSean Jackson seemed unlikely. Sure, the 49ers would have interest in adding a player as talented as Jackson, but would they really pay him?

The move to acquire Gabbert seemed curious except for the fact that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and staff were so good for Alex Smith, who also struggled early in his career. Gabbert has a 5-22 starting record with a 53 percent completion rate and 66.1 passer rating (22 TD, 24 INT). Smith had an 11-16 record with a 55.6 completion rate and 65.8 rating through the same number of starts (18 TD, 28 INT). Both players had their toughness questioned early in their careers. Smith survived and has thrived the past couple of seasons. One longtime GM I spoke to gave Gabbert almost zero shot at following a Smith-like path to revival, but he also couldn't fault the 49ers for investigating.

On the free-agency front, Polian drafted Bethea to Indianapolis and considers his signing a "home run" for the 49ers.

Baltimore Ravens

Key signings: LT Eugene Monroe, LB Daryl Smith, WR Jacoby Jones, WR Steve Smith, C Jeremy Zuttah (acquired via trade)
Key subtractions: RT Michael Oher, CB Corey Graham, DL Arthur Jones

The Ravens re-signed their key free agents and made the right choice at tackle in letting Oher test the market. This is looking like a low-key offseason for Baltimore.

"Flacco always had a Derrick Mason, Anquan Boldin or Dennis Pitta -- that move-the-chains receiver he can target on third-and-7 when everyone in the building knows where the ball is going," Williamson said. "Steve Smith can be that guy now. That could be a good role for him at this stage. I don't think he has a lot of big plays left."

The Ravens do not have glaring needs. They could miss Graham, so corner could be a position of some need.

"The big thing the Ravens do, and do as well as anyone, is use free agency to not have major draft needs," Williamson said. "They always grab the guy on draft day who falls and the announcers wonder how he’s still available."

Polian called the Ravens’ moves solid. Riddick noted that most of their work was done via re-signings before free agency.

C GRADES

New York Giants
Grade: C+

Key signings: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, S Quintin Demps, G Geoff Schwartz, CB Walter Thurmond, RB Rashad Jennings, WR Mario Manningham, LB Jon Beason, CB Trumaine McBride, LB Jameel McClain, G John Jerry
Key subtractions: C David Baas, G Kevin Boothe, DE Justin Tuck, TE Brandon Myers, WR Hakeem Nicks, S Ryan Mundy, DT Linval Joseph, LB Keith Rivers

The Giants were busy, and they needed to be after a disastrous 2013 season shined light on just how bad the team has drafted recently.

"They have made some good signings, but it is usually not a recipe for immediate success and that is what it sounds like they need there," Riddick said. "I do like what they've done in the secondary even though I don't like DRC's contract. I really like Thurmond. They need to draft some offensive linemen they can develop because they have missed on so many. They have so many needs."

Rodgers-Cromartie is a 27-year-old cornerback with a Pro Bowl on his résumé, but that is only part of the story. He's also on his fourth team in six years, a reflection of his inability to consistently meet expectations. Rodgers-Cromartie seemed like an ideal candidate for a pay-as-you-go contract. Instead, he got a $10 million signing bonus that will create a cap burden if the team needs to sever ties in the next couple of seasons.

The Giants did get better on their offensive line. "I'm a fan of Schwartz," Williamson said. "Jennings is a quality player -- not young, but with a lot of tread left. They did not go big in terms of money, but they got quality guys. With the moves they made, they said, 'Yeah, we are not a piece or two away. We need five starters in free agency and none will be Pro Bowlers, but give me a lineman, a corner, etc.' They are not huge winners or losers, but I approve of their approach."

Seattle Seahawks

Key signings: DE Michael Bennett, DT Tony McDaniel, QB Tarvaris Jackson, K Steven Hauschka, TE Anthony McCoy
Key subtractions: WR Golden Tate, RT Breno Giacomini, DT Clinton McDonald, CB Walter Thurmond, CB Brandon Browner, DE Chris Clemons, DE Red Bryant, WR Sidney Rice

Keeping Bennett was the top priority. Getting Jared Allen would have qualified as a "home run" in Polian's estimation, but that deal never came together. The early stages of free agency could have gone better for the Super Bowl champs. Keeping Tate and re-signing Clemons would have been ideal. Adding Allen would have made up for losing Clemons. Tate certainly will be missed, but the Seahawks probably will seek an outside receiver with greater size now that the team appears set from the slot with Percy Harvin and Doug Baldwin. Allen's addition would more than offset Clemons' departure.

"They treaded water but didn't need to do much more than that," Polian said.

Kansas City Chiefs

Key signings: DT Vance Walker, LB Joe Mays, LB Frank Zombo, S Husain Abdullah
Key subtractions: LT Branden Albert, G Jon Asamoah, S Quintin Demps, WR Dexter McCluster, G Geoff Schwartz, DE Tyson Jackson, LB Akeem Jordan, CB Dunta Robinson

The Chiefs look like big losers in free agency, at least on paper. "They lost three starting offensive linemen on a run-first team with a quarterback who isn't Aaron Rodgers," Williamson said.

The other analysts generally liked Kansas City's approach. In their view, the biggest loss the Chiefs suffered might have involved a player they never signed. Watching Emmanuel Sanders sign with the division-rival Broncos after nearly signing with Kansas City had to hurt.

"Sanders would have been a perfect complement to Dwayne Bowe," Riddick said, "but I am good with what they are doing overall. Andy Reid knows what it is like to chase success in free agency and see what happens. They will be methodical. They players they lost, so what? McCluster is good. The other guys they lost aren't going to hurt them. I like the Walker signing, and he will give them much better value than Jackson even if Jackson had signed in Atlanta for the same money, which he did not."

Polian, never a fan of profligate free-agent spending during his run as a GM, commended the Chiefs for sound cap management.

"It's better than you think from a football standpoint," Polian said. "They added role players. They let go some highly paid big-name role players who were underperforming and brought back guys who were correctly paid and no worse than the guys they lost. On balance, pretty good."

Indianapolis Colts

Key signings: LB D'Qwell Jackson, WR Hakeem Nicks, DL Arthur Jones, CB Vontae Davis, RB Ahmad Bradshaw, DE Fili Moala, C Phil Costa
Key subtractions: S Antoine Bethea, RB Donald Brown, C Samson Satele, RB Rashard Choice

Adding Jones and Jackson and re-signing Davis were the top priorities for the Colts. They knew Bethea could get away, and he did. That could be a difficult loss. Nicks was an intriguing addition and someone who could flourish catching passes from Andrew Luck in a prove-it year. A scout for another team said he liked the Jackson signing in part because Tennessee was also in the mix for him, but I think it's fair to point out that Indy keeps investing in nonpremium positions, including inside linebacker (Jackson) and running back (Trent Richardson).

"I like Arthur Jones and I like D'Qwell Jackson, but I don't know if I like Jackson at $10.4 million fully guaranteed," Yates said. "Davis is a nice player and cornerbacks matter, but shelling out $15 million fully guaranteed is a lot. I get that they have to be aggressive without a first-round pick, but they seem intent on overpaying just to make sure deals get done."

Washington Redskins

Key signings: CB Tracy Porter, DT Jason Hatcher, G Shawn Lauvao, S Brandon Meriweather, WR Santana Moss, WR Andre Roberts, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Akeem Jordan
Key subtractions: DE Darryl Tapp, DL Adam Carriker, LB London Fletcher

The Redskins were quiet when the big money was spent early in free agency and have signed players to relatively modest deals. They went for quantity over quality, perhaps counter to expectations for a team with significant needs and a history of imprudent spending. I was fine with the approach. If we're going to blast Washington for overpaying in past years, we can’t downgrade the Redskins too much for showing restraint.

"Not bad," Polian said. "This one is a little bit like Jacksonville. They added people who can play for them who are system fits at reasonable prices. And they got rid of some guys who really could not play."

The Redskins also managed to retain the rights to Brian Orakpo via the franchise tag.

"They really like Jason Hatcher and feel like, if they get two years out of him, they are good, and three would be awesome," Riddick said. "What scares me is he has only one year of production. He just never previously got the kind of production he got this year, which speaks to how good Rod Marinelli is as a defensive line coach. Look at Henry Melton and Julius Peppers after Marinelli left Chicago."

The Redskins got a good special-teams value with Akeem Jordan, but they needed help in their secondary and didn't get enough of it. Porter is basically a nickel corner with injury concerns.

"I like the Hatcher, Jordan and Roberts signings," Riddick said. "They can get out of the Hatcher deal in the third year with minimal problems."

Atlanta Falcons

Key signings: G Jon Asamoah, DT Paul Soliai, DE Tyson Jackson, DT Jonathan Babineaux, DT Peria Jerry, G Joe Hawley
Key subtractions: S Thomas DeCoud, G Garrett Reynolds, CB Asante Samuel

The Falcons needed to beef up their lines on both sides of the ball. They did that convincingly. The fact that they overpaid to do so explains why the team's grade isn't higher.

"I kind of like what Atlanta did," Williamson said. "They spent more than they should, but they were basically saying 2013 was not who they are, and they are a contender. They'll switch to a 3-4 front and get guys they are familiar with who are pluggers. They will not pick sixth overall again anytime soon. They got scheme fits and the right type of players."

Polian gave the Falcons a "so-so" grade. "But they have to win, so I get what they are doing," he said.

So, if you're OK with the prices Atlanta paid, move the Falcons up on this list. If you understand the motives but hate the value, pull up a chair and commiserate with Riddick. He had no problem with the Falcons signing Jackson and Soliai, but he thought the value was horrendous enough to make owner Arthur Blank question the investment.

"Paying what they paid for two run-stuffing defensive ends who are average, at best, whose stats are going the wrong way, who cannot rush the passer on third down, who will play less than 50 percent of the snaps ... it makes no sense," Riddick said. "Who were they bidding against? It is not the player, it's the value, and that is what it's all about."

St. Louis Rams

Key signings: G Rodger Saffold, LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar
Key subtractions: G Chris Williams, QB Kellen Clemens, G Harvey Dahl, CB Cortland Finnegan, G Shelley Smith

The Rams did nothing in free agency beyond signing a couple of their own guys. They still could sign an offensive lineman or two, but they will not be big spenders. That could be a good thing.

"I don’t know if there was anyone out in free agency who they felt could come in and help, but they have been burned in free agency anyway with Cortland Finnegan, Harvey Dahl and you could make a case for Scott Wells," Riddick said. "Jake Long is a very questionable acquisition because of the injuries. Kendall Langford has underperformed. They need to find an impact player in the draft."

Other teams valued the Rams' offensive linemen more than the Rams valued them. It's tough to fault St. Louis for letting Williams or Smith get away. Both came to St. Louis as stopgap players, and both performed better than anticipated. There's a sense line coach Paul T. Boudreau can coach up the unit effectively even when the personnel is lacking.

Getting Saffold back was a bonus after he agreed to terms with Oakland on a richer deal initially, but, as Polian noted, Saffold hit the open market for a reason (injuries). The Rams could still wind up adding low-cost reinforcements to their line, but to this point, their needs at that position have become more pronounced, and they are counting on oft-injured starters in Saffold and Long.

Green Bay Packers

Key signings: DE Julius Peppers, DL Letroy Guion, DT B.J. Raji, TE Andrew Quarless, LB Mike Neal, CB Sam Shields
Key subtractions: S M.D. Jennings, C Evan Dietrich-Smith, WR James Jones

Keeping Shields, Raji and Neal from leaving was important, but the big question is whether Peppers can make the Packers better on defense. The money Green Bay paid surprised me a little bit, especially the commitment made in the second year. The Packers would take a $5 million cap hit beyond the 2014 season if they moved on from 34-year-old Peppers after just one season. Then again, a $5 million future cap gamble isn't prohibitive for a team that should know Peppers well after playing against him in the NFC North. Defensive line coach Mike Trgovac was with Peppers in Carolina, an important factor in making sure Peppers fits.

"Peppers has that connection with Trgovac and has wanted to play in a 3-4," Riddick said. "They got good value. Playing with Clay Matthews is a good fit there. I think Ted Thompson is good at making those targeted free-agent gambles. Everything else they do will be through the draft. And they have a young replacement for Dietrich-Smith lined up."

Polian thought Dietrich-Smith would be missed. He wasn't convinced that Peppers would be worth the money, but he liked some of the Packers' re-signings. He thought most teams would miss Jones, too, but the Packers might be fine.

"They produce receivers on an assembly line there," he said.

New York Jets

Key signings: WR Eric Decker, QB Michael Vick, T Breno Giacomini, OL Willie Colon, OLB Calvin Pace, K Nick Folk
Key subtractions: T Austin Howard, CB Antonio Cromartie, S Ed Reed, TE Kellen Winslow

Fans hoping the Jets would aggressively upgrade in free agency had to settle for adding Decker and a 33-year-old Vick.

"I love John Idzik," one agent said regarding the Jets' GM, "but he will never spend money. He'll win the cap."

To be fair, the Jets hired Idzik largely because they needed to fix their cap before rebuilding their roster, on offense in particular. The cap is now in good shape. As for a willingness to spend, some thought the Jets shelled out too much for Decker. They questioned whether a team without an accurate quarterback could maximize a receiver such as Decker, who fails to get separation consistently. On the other hand, the Jets were desperate to add help at receiver, and Decker got less than some had predicted. Although Decker surely benefited from playing with Peyton Manning, he caught eight touchdown passes in 2011, including four from Tim Tebow and four from Kyle Orton.

"Decker is overpaid, but so what?" Polian said. "Breno is an upgrade or about the same. Colon is a favorite of the coaching staff, and they didn't pay him anything anyway. I don’t criticize them at all. They will do what they are going to do in the draft."

Vick’s addition changes the dynamic some. He has a chance to upgrade the offense, particularly if the Jets can add weapons. But he’s a high-risk addition in terms of injury outlook and on-field decision-making.

“I think the Jets can be a 10-win team with Vick if they continue to upgrade the weapons,” Riddick said, before noting that it can happen only if Vick stays healthy this season.

Cleveland Browns
Grade: C

Key signings: S Donte Whitner, LB Karlos Dansby, TE Jim Dray, RB Ben Tate
Key subtractions: S T.J. Ward, LB D'Qwell Jackson, WR Davone Bess, QB Jason Campbell, QB Brandon Weeden, G Shawn Lauvao

Opinions were mixed here. Pro Football Focus listed the Browns among three "winners" in free agency, noting that the 2013 version of Whitner was more versatile than what Ward offered as primarily a box safety near the line of scrimmage. Yates liked the leadership Whitner and Dansby could bring. I just didn't see safety and inside linebacker as primary needs for this team. Is free agency about improving incrementally or crossing off needs heading into the draft? I tend to think it's more about the latter, but every team has its own reasoning.

"I get the leadership thing," Williamson said. "That is cool, but I don't want old guys for the Browns in the first wave of free agency. I'd rather have Jairus Byrd or Ward than Whitner. I think Ward is better than Whitner, and younger. I like Dansby more than Jackson, but I bet Jackson plays longer. I'd rather get old-guy leadership on the cheap."

Even if Whitner and Dansby provide upgrades, how long will that be the case?

"They traded old guys for old guys, except for Ben Tate, and we will see what he is," Polian said. "I can't tell what they are doing. It is not outstanding, put it that way, especially when they don't have a QB."

Riddick, although a fan of the Tate signing, was more pointed in his criticism overall. He thought the Browns unnecessarily replaced a couple of their core players.

"I don't understand that logic with Dansby and Whitner unless you felt the guys were way better," Riddick said. "It reeks of, 'I just want my own guys.'"

Pittsburgh Steelers

Key signings: DT Cam Thomas, S Mike Mitchell
Key subtractions: WR Emmanuel Sanders, WR Jerricho Cotchery, DE Ziggy Hood, OLB LaMarr Woodley, T Levi Brown, LB Larry Foote

The Steelers got younger on defense with Mitchell's addition at safety and Woodley's release. They're back in the market for a receiver heading into a draft brimming with them.

"Other than Sanders, they didn't lose anybody that meant anything to them," Polian said. "Cam Thomas and Mike Mitchell are good pickups. They get a little bit better. The re-signings were not bad. The Steelers create wide receivers. It's a receiver draft. That is where they are going to go."

Williamson had low expectations for the Steelers in free agency because the team had a rough salary-cap situation.

"They were kind of boring," Williamson said. "I expected their offseason to be worse. All the cap finagling they did worked out smoother than I'd projected. They got Mitchell at a good price with the arrow pointing up -- exactly what they need. I did not expect Jason Worilds to remain there."

Cincinnati Bengals

Key signings: QB Jason Campbell, G Mike Pollak, S Taylor Mays, LB Vincent Rey
Key subtractions: DE Michael Johnson, OT Anthony Collins, C Kyle Cook, LB James Harrison, WR Andrew Hawkins

The Bengals got worse in free agency when Johnson found riches in Tampa Bay, Collins got away and Hawkins landed in Cleveland after receiving the lowest possible tender as a restricted free agent. Cincy didn't necessarily need to step up for any one of these players, but losing all three wasn't ideal.

"The Bengals have lost some really good players, though they seem to believe the O-line will be just fine with Andrew Whitworth kicking back out to LT," Yates said. "I would've liked to see them push harder to retain Collins, given their healthy cap situation."

Campbell's addition gives the Bengals' new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, someone familiar from their days together in Oakland. There's no sense Campbell is going to unseat Andy Dalton, but at least the Bengals have a veteran alternative with extensive experience. That is something they have not had previously in Dalton's tenure. I still think Cincy should draft a quarterback as longer-term insurance, but for this season, the team should be on relatively solid footing.

"They didn't do much, but they didn't need to," Polian said. "They will do the rest through the draft."

San Diego Chargers

Key signings: QB Kellen Clemens, RB Donald Brown, CB Richard Marshall, G Chad Rinehart, LB Reggie Walker, CB Brandon Ghee
Key subtractions: DT Cam Thomas, CB Derek Cox, CB Johnny Patrick, FB Le'Ron McClain

The Chargers find themselves in an interesting spot. They have a somewhat older quarterback they can win with, but they're not exactly in that championship window with Denver or New England. That led to some mixed reviews from our panel.

"I'm not a big fan of Brown," Riddick said. "Ghee has big upside but cannot stay healthy. They signed a couple really good special-teamers. What Tom Telesco is going to do will be very much like Bill [Polian]: Pay a couple guys, make it very specific to your quarterback, pay a corner, pay your pass-rushers and, more than likely, they are going to come through the draft. I don't think they feel a rush even though Philip Rivers is not a spring chicken."

Polian, who worked with Telesco in Indianapolis, said it'll be tough to appreciate the Chargers' signings if you're focused on the big names. He drafted Brown to Indy and liked the signing for San Diego, but that was a minority view around here.

"I don't understand going after Donald Brown," Williamson said. "Couldn't they have gotten a lineman or something on defense and get a running back in the third round? I don't get that being your first signing."

Tennessee Titans

Key signings: T Michael Oher, LB Wesley Woodyard, WR Dexter McCluster, DT Al Woods, DT Ropati Pitoitua, QB Charlie Whitehurst, RB Leon Washington, WR Marc Mariani
Key subtractions: CB Alterraun Verner, T David Stewart, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, K Rob Bironas

McCluster's addition was the interesting one. Coach Ken Whisenhunt obviously has special plans for him. Whisenhunt enjoyed creating roles for specialty players such as LaRod Stephens-Howling in Arizona, and he schemed on working talented players from the defensive side into the offense. But looking at the Titans' moves on the whole, did they get better?

"The return on Chris Johnson in a trade is what will make it," Polian said.

No team is going to take on Johnson's salary, of course. Not in this market for running backs.

"Of the guys they added, the only one that will make somewhat of a difference -- and I wonder how much -- would be McCluster," Riddick said. "They are already pretty strong at wideout. Who is he going to replace in the slot? He will not take Kendall Wright's reps. He is not an outside receiver. Will he be more of a Sproles type? Oher struggled, Wood is average, Whitehurst has the familiarity with Ken, but he is not your ideal type of backup such as Josh McCown or Matt Moore."

Carolina Panthers
Grade: C-

Key signings: WR Jerricho Cotchery, QB Derek Anderson, SS Roman Harper
Key subtractions: WR Steve Smith, LT Jordan Gross, CB Captain Munnerlyn, S Mike Mitchell, WR Brandon LaFell, WR Ted Ginn Jr.

The Panthers make for an easy target in free agency, but unlike some other teams, their problems predated the current personnel department. It's tough to hold GM Dave Gettleman fully accountable for an offseason in which he's been cleaning up messes left behind by predecessors. Putting the franchise tag on defensive end Greg Hardy made sense, but it didn't help the short-term financial outlook. We should note, however, that defensive improvements were the leading reason behind the Panthers' jump to a 12-4 record last season.

"They are cap-strapped, so what are you going to do?" Polian said. "They have done the best they could in a tight situation. They have to do the rest in the draft, which is better than spending bad money in free agency."

For a couple of years, I've thought the Panthers should be adding young weaponry to grow with quarterback Cam Newton. The team has little choice but to follow that course all at once. It's unfortunate Carolina doesn't have an ascending young receiver to help ease the transition.

Houston Texans
Grade: C-

Key signings: QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, TE Garrett Graham
Key subtractions: QB Matt Schaub (trade), DE Antonio Smith, LB Darryl Sharpton, LB Joe Mays, DT Earl Mitchell, RB Ben Tate

The Texans still need their next starting quarterback. They also need lots of help up the middle of their defense -- and they surely know it, too. Those were the Patriots' strengths when Texans coach Bill O'Brien and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel were in New England years ago. Dumping Schaub was a first step, but do the Texans see Ryan Fitzpatrick as a bridge starter?

"I'd rather put the young guy in," Riddick said. "I am just not a fan of Fitzpatrick. He is a turnover machine. They also need some reinforcements down the middle of their defense with Brian Cushing coming off the injury and losing Mitchell. They need a middle-of-the-field player to go with D.J. Swearinger. I thought Brandon Spikes would be in play there because of his familiarity with Crennel. They need that kind of thumper. They were getting gutted up the middle."

The Texans haven't done those things yet. They've subtracted more than they've added.

D GRADES

Dallas Cowboys
Grade: D

Key signings: DT Henry Melton, DE Jeremy Mincey, QB Brandon Weeden
Key subtractions: DE DeMarcus Ware, WR Miles Austin, DT Jason Hatcher

Getting Melton on a one-year deal carrying little risk to the team provided at least some light in a dark offseason for the cap-strapped Cowboys. However, there are some rumblings that Melton could be a bit behind schedule in his rehab. Overall, the Cowboys lost more than they gained. Releasing Ware would have made more sense in retrospect if the team could have re-signed him to a more reasonable deal. Instead, the Cowboys watched their most accomplished pass-rusher bolt for Denver while Hatcher, their leading sacker in 2013, signed with Washington.

We could applaud the Cowboys for showing welcome restraint in player valuation, but the reality is that Dallas was hamstrung.

"I lump Carolina and Dallas into a similar category because they're so strapped under the cap that there is little they could do, but the critical difference is that the current Carolina regime is picking up the pieces from Marty Hurney while the Cowboys are dealing with self-inflicted cap woes," Yates said.

The Cowboys have continually bought flexibility in the short term by pushing cap charges into the future. It caught up to them in this free-agent signing period when the team ran out of contracts to revisit.

"It's amazing how many bad deals they have done over the years," Riddick said.

Buffalo Bills
Grade: D

Key signings: G Chris Williams, LB Brandon Spikes, CB Corey Graham, LB Keith Rivers, TE Scott Chandler
Key subtractions: FS Jairus Byrd, QB Kevin Kolb

The Bills lost their best young player (Byrd) and paid a relative premium for players such as Williams, who has not been a consistent performer. They also continue to operate without a viable veteran quarterback behind EJ Manuel while other teams scrambled to sign the few available candidates.

"The quarterback situation is very much a question mark for me," Riddick said. "The No. 2 quarterback is a top-30 position on a 53-man roster. Last year, they start the year with Manuel and an undrafted rookie. I do not know how you do that. Kolb never worked out. Tarvaris Jackson is out of there. They went from him to Kevin to Jeff Tuel to Thad Lewis. Getting the profile right for the No. 2 quarterback is key -- Chicago last year is the best example -- and Buffalo hasn't done it."

The Bills could be in a situation where they need to overpay for a shot at landing even middle-tier free agents. Is that any excuse?

"I think the Bills will get hammered a bit for perceived overpays on Graham and Williams, but both players fill holes," Yates said. "The Bills need four cornerbacks in the AFC East. Graham, Stephon Gilmore, Nickell Robey and Leodis McKelvin give them a nice start. Rivers can still play in space, too, so I liked that signing."

F GRADES

Oakland Raiders
Grade: F

Key signings: QB Matt Schaub (trade), LT Donald Penn, OLB LaMarr Woodley, S Charles Woodson, RB Darren McFadden, DE Justin Tuck, DE Antonio Smith, WR James Jones, CB Tarell Brown, G Kevin Boothe, T Austin Howard
Key subtractions: LT Jared Veldheer, DE Lamarr Houston, CB Tracy Porter, CB Mike Jenkins, DT Vance Walker, RB Rashad Jennings

The Raiders rallied to improve their roster after an embarrassing start to free agency that featured their botched attempt to sign Saffold to an overpriced contract. Unfortunately for Oakland, the moves did not set up the team for long-term success. The first 12 players Oakland added or re-signed averaged 30.5 years old, the highest figure in the league. Yes, the Raiders needed to spend money, but why chase declining players when two of their own building blocks -- Veldheer and Houston -- were headed out the door the minute free agency opened? Perhaps most importantly, the manner in which the Raiders navigated the process only reinforced their image as an organization without a direction.

"I really, honestly don't understand it," Polian said. He was not the only one.

"They will posture it as bringing in leadership to change the culture, but the guys they signed are not going to change culture," Riddick said. "Most of the guys who went there had nowhere else to go. I liked the Woodson re-sign. That is true leadership. Charles truly cares about the Raiders. But in a year when you need to spend cash and had cap room to get it done with Veldheer and Houston, why wouldn't you get it done? Even if you didn't like them much, it sends a better message than what you are doing now. Not only are you chasing with older free agents who don't want to come there anyway, but your draft picks aren't panning out."

It’s been a rough offseason for the Silver and Black.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't put much stock into these types of evaluations where they're basically just looking at names in vs. names out.

Remember the Eagles dream team of 2011?

Yea, me neither.

dallen

Senior Tech
In isolation I'd give us a B for free agency. I think we did pretty well considering the position we are in. It would have been easy to sign Jared Allen to replace Ware and kill the cap, but for once we showed restraint. Of course the position we are in is self inflicted, so there's that

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
In isolation I'd give us a B for free agency. I think we did pretty well considering the position we are in. It would have been easy to sign Jared Allen to replace Ware and kill the cap, but for once we showed restraint. Of course the position we are in is self inflicted, so there's that
That's kind of how I looked at it as well.

Top Bottom