Archive - Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

D

Deuce

Adrian Peterson returning to Vikings camp today. Some holdout.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Tough position for the Panthers to be in...I don't think he's got it, but I think he's Top 15 and the surest option out there.

Could you cut bait and start over?
I'd ride things out with Newton if I were them. It's been pretty slim pickings at the QB position over the past few years.

Aside from Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson, I can't think of a QB who's entered the league since 2011 who's clearly better than Newton.

Tannehill is also in the conversation and I think you can make an argument that he's equal to or better than Newton.

But that's just 3 names over a 4+ year period.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You've been in the Miami area too long.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Adrian Peterson returning to Vikings camp today. Some holdout.
Did you expect differently?

It's been made pretty clear for some time now that the Vikings are serious about not letting him go anywhere. Once he came to this realization, it made no sense to keep fighting it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You've been in the Miami area too long.
I'm not comparing Tannehill to Wilson and Luck. I'm saying you can make a legitimate argument that he's equal to or better than Cam Newton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm saying you can make a legitimate argument that he's equal to or better than Cam Newton.
I don't think it would be a very good argument. Playoff appearances and career QB ratings and rushing statistics basically all favor Newton.

Maybe 2 years from now you'd have an argument but I think Tannehill needs to continue to progress before you can say he is on par or better then Newton. Tannehill basically has 1 good year and 2 shitty ones.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't think it would be a very good argument. Playoff appearances and career QB ratings and rushing statistics basically all favor Newton.

Maybe 2 years from now you'd have an argument but I think Tannehill needs to continue to progress before you can say he is on par or better then Newton. Tannehill basically has 1 good year and 2 shitty ones.
Not a good argument? :lol

I'll give you playoff appearance because finding a way to win carries a lot of weight, but over the past few years Tannehill has been a better passer than Newton.

Better completion pct., more passing yards, and more TD passes.

Newton's QB rating is only a point above Tannehill's.

So I certainly wouldn't say it's not a "very good argument".

Lets not act as if we're comparing Tannehill to Brady. We're talking about Cam Newton. An above average to good QB.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
Also, 2 shitty years from Tannehill?

He struggled his rookie year (2012) but he's been solid the past two years.

2013 stats: 3,913 yds, 24 TD, 17 INT, 60% completion, 81 QB rating.
2014 stats: 4,045 yds, 27 TDs, 12 INT, 66.4% completion, 92.8 rating (10 points higher than Cam's).

The INTs were high in year two but I wouldn't call his performance shitty.

Cotton

Staff member
Cam's deal is 5 years, 103 mill with 60 mill guaranteed.

Cotton

Staff member

Holy hell. Half the guaranteed in the first year.

Cotton

Staff member

1bigfan13

Staff member
That's a smart way to do it if you're the player. Get your money up front before the inevitable cut/contract restructure. I call it the Revis Method.

My guess is the Panthers have the cap room to spare over the next couple of years and this deal works out best for both parties. For instance, they probably have a handful of contracts on their books where there's a steep increase in salary 3 or 4 years from now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a smart way to do it if you're the player.
On the opposite side of it as a player it doesn't provide nearly as much motivation for the player to play and train hard. If a player already has made the majority of his contract it could make it easy for a player to just sort of coast.

1bigfan13

Staff member
On the opposite side of it as a player it doesn't provide nearly as much motivation for the player to play and train hard. If a player already has made the majority of his contract it could make it easy for a player to just sort of coast.
That may be true for some individuals but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue in other sports where they actually have guaranteed contracts.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also, 2 shitty years from Tannehill?

He struggled his rookie year (2012) but he's been solid the past two years.

2013 stats: 3,913 yds, 24 TD, 17 INT, 60% completion, 81 QB rating.
2014 stats: 4,045 yds, 27 TDs, 12 INT, 66.4% completion, 92.8 rating (10 points higher than Cam's).

The INTs were high in year two but I wouldn't call his performance shitty.
Also, Tannehill's production keeps going up, Cam's keeps going down.

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That may be true for some individuals but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue in other sports where they actually have guaranteed contracts.
fully guaranteed contracts are not good for any sport. It's a disaster in baseball and basketball, where if you were stuck with a guy who is not producing up to his contract, and he has years left on his deal, it is nearly impossible to get better. And then you have a fan base that has to deal with years of malaise and barely caring because a player or multiple players have bad contracts that the team can't get out of and which hinder the team's ability to bring in fresh better and more exciting players. It's a huge problem in the other sports. It would suck big fat hairy donkey balls if the NFL adopted that.

D

Deuce

Shit, why weren't we in on that?

Top Bottom