Randy Gregory suspended 4 games

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

-----------------------------------------

Who is surprised? Think that ups the odds of them drafting Bosa?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And it begins.....

Hope he can beat this but doesn't look promising.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yup, we didn't get a prize in the second.

Got a damaged goods fucktard who can't quit the dope.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This doesn't affect Will McClay's godlike status, does it?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Well, Chris Long was just cut...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, we didn't get a prize in the second.

Got a damaged goods fucktard who can't quit the dope.
Like who the hell can't stop smoking weed. It's not that hard. Plus it's not like the league tests that hard for the shit.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
JC, I would love to see an offseason without any BS just once. How long has it been since we had one without some kind of drama or dysfunction?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
:picard

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Second round curse strikes again.

What have we got out of the second round in the last 10 years?

A brittle LB and an 8 sack guy?

townsend

Banned
Second round curse strikes again.

What have we got out of the second round in the last 10 years?

A brittle LB and an 8 sack guy?
Terrence Williams, a brittle LBer, and an 8 sack guy.

I won't second guess the pick though. He was a top 10 prospect that fell to the late 2nd it was worth the risk.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The worst part about this is now, DE becomes a freak out position because we need it.

Last time this happened, Leon Lett got suspended for weed and we ended up drafting the immortal Ebenezer Ekuban in the first round.

And yeah, this all but fucking kills any idea of drafting a QB, if that idea wasn't dead already.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
God damn it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I hope this doesn't dissuade them from letting Hardy walk

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The worst part about this is now, DE becomes a freak out position because we need it.

Last time this happened, Leon Lett got suspended for weed and we ended up drafting the immortal Ebenezer Ekuban in the first round.

And yeah, this all but fucking kills any idea of drafting a QB, if that idea wasn't dead already.
So melodramatic.

There was always a strong chance we'd take Bosa if he was there at 4 whether this happened or not. Plus, it's 4 games, obviously it's a huge concern with his past but it's not something that absolutely forces us to take a DE at 4 or else. We could easily get a guy like Kevin Dodd, Ogbah or Bullard at 34, or a guy like Calhoun or Nassib in the 3rd, or a veteran FA like William Hayes or Jason Jones.

I was always on board with Bosa at 4, I prefer a QB no matter who is there but Bosa would be my top choice of the non-QB's, assuming no trade down of course. My only concern with taking Bosa is that Lawrence is apparently more comfortable on the left side although his game-winning sack/FF against Detroit came from the right side, so I doubt he'd be completely useless if he had to flip sides from time to time.

In terms of Bosa as a prospect, of course I'd be disappointed in not taking a QB but you can't really complain too much if we end up with a Michael Bennett type of guy who can give you 9-10 sacks a year, elite run defense and flexibility to rush inside and out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' chance on Randy Gregory takes tumble but shouldn't end
6:11 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys took a calculated gamble on Randy Gregory when they selected him in the second round of last year's draft.

They were well aware of the issues he had at Nebraska. They knew he tested positive for marijuana at the scouting combine. They knew he had anxiety issues. They had him in at Valley Ranch for a pre-draft visit to get a better feel for him and if he was worth the trouble.

They decided he was.

Their faith in Gregory is now being tested with a four-game suspension to start the 2016 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The easy thing to say is cut Gregory. Another way to look at it is say the NFL perhaps should look at altering its policy regarding marijuana, assuming this is in fact the substance that got Gregory suspended. As society's feelings toward marijuana change, maybe someday the NFL's will too.

But that doesn't help the Cowboys on the field in 2016.

The Cowboys were hoping Gregory could do in 2016 what DeMarcus Lawrence, their 2014 second rounder, did in 2015. Lawrence went from not having a sack as a rookie in the regular season to leading the Cowboys with eight.

Gregory did not have a sack last year, his season derailed early because of a high ankle sprain in the season opener after he had an electrifying training camp and preseason. I went on a limb and said he would be the NFL's defensive rookie of the year.

With Greg Hardy, Jeremy Mincey and Jack Crawford set to become unrestricted free agents and Hardy almost assuredly not returning, the Cowboys had a need for pass rushing help before Gregory's suspension was announced.

A great need becomes even greater with Gregory missing a quarter of the season.

Do the Cowboys get in the free-agent game and make a play for perhaps the biggest prize, Miami's Olivier Vernon? He gave Tyron Smith problems when the teams met last season. Do they look at Bruce Irvin or even a Jason Pierre-Paul? Do they continue to go with a quantity over quality approach and look for bargains to be a part of Rod Marinelli's desired rotation?

In the draft they could be in position to take Ohio State's Joey Bosa at No. 4. Eastern Kentucky's Noah Spence might be the best pass-rusher available, but he was kicked out of the Big Ten for a drug problem. Could the Cowboys really roll the dice again after what has happened to Gregory?

The suspension is disappointing on many fronts because Gregory is an engaging kid, but he has a problem. The Cowboys knew it. They thought they could help him beat it. They still have a duty to help him and in turn that could help them in the future.

A lot of people across the league will snicker at the Cowboys for taking a chance on Gregory and getting burned. The holier-than-thou attitude is off-putting when every team takes chances on players. Every team.

The Cowboys took a chance on Gregory last year. They don't need to turn their backs on him now. The right thing is to help Gregory and hope he can develop into the pass-rusher they need so badly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So melodramatic.

There was always a strong chance we'd take Bosa if he was there at 4 whether this happened or not. Plus, it's 4 games, obviously it's a huge concern with his past but it's not something that absolutely forces us to take a DE at 4 or else. We could easily get a guy like Kevin Dodd, Ogbah or Bullard at 34, or a guy like Calhoun or Nassib in the 3rd, or a veteran FA like William Hayes or Jason Jones.
Nothing melodramatic about it. He's been suspended four games. If he keeps up the stupid trend, he's not far from washing out of the league.

Knowing how we do business, this clouds the draft, significantly.

And your suggestions of William Hayes or Jason Jones are kind of laughable. First of all, they are veterans. We don't do that. Even if we did, what on earth makes them better than signing a Selvie or Mincey?

I was always on board with Bosa at 4, I prefer a QB no matter who is there but Bosa would be my top choice of the non-QB's, assuming no trade down of course. My only concern with taking Bosa is that Lawrence is apparently more comfortable on the left side although his game-winning sack/FF against Detroit came from the right side, so I doubt he'd be completely useless if he had to flip sides from time to time.

In terms of Bosa as a prospect, of course I'd be disappointed in not taking a QB but you can't really complain too much if we end up with a Michael Bennett type of guy who can give you 9-10 sacks a year, elite run defense and flexibility to rush inside and out.
Sorry, I am not going to dismiss something that makes our draft options more limited.

It makes Bosa more likely. I don't necessarily have an issue, but I have serious doubts about him. He's a LDE at best. And if he's gone? That means our 2nd round pick is destined to be a reach for an edge rusher, ignoring other positions. We have pretty much Ryan Russell only under contract at the moment.

The QB thing is gone. The ability to have a clean outlook in the draft is next to zero.

We will end up taking a DE, in the first or second round now, all but guaranteed.

As if we couldn't have used a player at a number of other positions.

Top Bottom