2016 Senior Bowl Stuff...

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I see almost no chance these guys are still around in round 4.
I'd take Doctson or Fuller in 3. 2 is too rich for my blood and that is most likely where they go. I would be more happy bringing in a free agent option as a stop-gap. Travis Benjamin type, not too expensive

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd take Doctson or Fuller in 3. 2 is too rich for my blood and that is most likely where they go. I would be more happy bringing in a free agent option as a stop-gap. Travis Benjamin type, not too expensive
Fuller could easily go in the first round. But I guess there is time for all of that to change. Doctson I would guess will go in the second round. Again that is very much subject to change. Workouts will mean a lot to him and just a checkup on how that wrist is doing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

RAIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

RAIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought we all agreed to support the North team and only the North team.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Garrett's coaching the North, right?

Go South.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Too bad. He was one guy I wanted to see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2016 Senior Bowl: Monday Rumor Mill

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

With all the general managers, coaches and scouts in attendance for the Senior Bowl, there is a lot of chatter going around. Here are some of the highlights from the rumor mill on Day 1.

One area scout of a team picking in the top 10 that doesn't need a quarterback was gushing over North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. The team has given him a first-round grade and thinks that Wentz is the real deal. They say that Wentz has a good arm, size and athleticism, and they love him off the field. They like his pocket presence, field vision, experience under center, making play calls in the huddle, and potential to grow in the NFL. The scout said that he will fill out his frame in a NFL strength and conditioning program. That area scout said the big challenge for Wentz will be the drastic change in the speed of the game coming from North Dakota State's opponents compared to the NFL. This week at the Senior Bowl could vault Wentz high in the first round.

How high? Extremely high. In speaking with sources at the Browns, Wentz is definitely in play with Cleveland. He's viewed as a first-rounder despite a small sample size of starts in college. Sources say the Browns really like Wentz. There are some who believe that Wentz is the best quarterback prospect and they say the only reason why Wentz isn't the consensus No. 1 quarterback is the helmet he wears (i.e. coming from a small school). Assuming the Browns move on from Johnny Manziel and draft a quarterback, it sounds like they are focused on Wentz or Cal quarterback Jared Goff. Both are rated ahead of Memphis' Paxton Lynch, and Wentz could be the early lean.

• Sources from one team picking high in the first round that is in the market for defensive back with their top selection said that Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple is behind Florida's Vernon Hargreaves and Florida State's Jalen Ramsey. Those evaluators say that Apple has a lot of talent with size and speed, but happens to be very raw. They say he is very "handsy" with receivers downfield and is always grabbing at them while they run their routes. They feel that until Apple is developed and coached up, he is going to get flagged a lot. It is understandable that Apple is a work in progress considering he is only a redshirt sophomore. Now, all that being said, other teams could disagree, as we've documented that there are some wide ranges in the draft grade of Ramsey.

• Sources with multiple teams told WalterFootball.com that Florida's Keanu Neal could be in the running to be the first safety selected, if you count Florida State's Jalen Ramsey as a cornerback. Neal has impressed teams with his combination of size and speed. A team picking high in the second round that could consider a safety said that there is the possibility that Neal could go in the late first. They believe he is going to be a Combine standout who could become a hot prospect. Teams also really like Neal off the field.

Team sources say that it is wide open to figure out who is the top safety prospect. West Virginia's Karl Joseph is really liked by teams, but he's coming off a season-ending injury. Thus, Neal could be the first true safety drafted.

• Sources with multiple teams have been extremely critical of Penn State head coach James Franklin and his handling of quarterback Christian Hackeneberg. Just to be clear, none of these sources are with the Houston Texans. They say that Franklin was a terrible coach for Hackenberg. These sources have known Franklin for years and feel he is responsible for a lot of the problems with Hackenberg. Franklin tore down Hackenberg and hurt his confidence. They say that Franklin is a rah-rah type of coach who showed a lot of favoritism toward the players he brought to Penn State over the players he inherited from Bill O'Brien and Joe Paterno. On top of Franklin's poor handling, Hackenberg was sacked 103 times in his 38 collegiate games with the vast majority of those sacks coming in the two seasons with Franklin. The offensive line was pathetic, but teams feel that Franklin set up Hackenberg for some failure because he tried to fit a square peg into a round hole from a scheme perspective. They feel a good coach would have adapted their scheme to Hackenberg and the other pro-style players O'Brien cultivated. They say that Franklin never embraced Hackenbarg as his guy to lead the program.

The sources from these teams already have franchise quarterbacks and were just calling it like they see it. They believe that Hackenberg could get selected on Day 2. Some around the believe still think that Hackenberg could go late in the first round because there are so many teams that are utterly desperate to land a franchise quarterback.

• One quarterback who made a huge mistake in not taking part in the Senior Bowl was Michigan State's Connor Cook. Teams have really soured on Cook, on the field and off of it. At the East-West Shrine, I caught up with Michigan State linebacker Darien Harris and asked him about Cook not being voted a team captain.

"He was a captain whether he had the title or not," said Harris. "He was a leader on the team. I love him like a brother as does the rest of the team and the coaching staff. We wouldn't have been as successful as we were without Connor Cook under center."

I also asked Harris if there was any truth to the talk that Cook was a bad teammate and disliked in the locker room.

"Not at all. I don't buy any of that. I feel like as he is my brother and he is family to me, I feel like it is my obligation to try and kill some of that noise. Hopefully I've been able to do that by getting people to understand that inside that locker room we loved him. He was the best quarterback in the country. No doubt about it."

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php#rZaVg875GQMTF3ZY.99

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
12 Prospects Whose Stock Will Rise at the Senior Bowl

By: Jon Ledyard | 1 minute ago

With Senior Bowl practices less than 24 hours away, here are the 12 prospects that I think will see the biggest bump in their draft stock after this week has concluded.

1. QB Dak Prescott, Mississippi State

Dak PrescottTeams will love the way Prescott carries himself on the sidelines and in the huddle, demonstrating leadership and an ideal football IQ. He’s improved each year collegiately, and has enough tools to entice teams into believing he can be a developmental starter down the road. I have my doubts about Prescott’s future success in the NFL, but amidst the Senior Bowl quarterbacks, the experienced signal caller has a great opportunity to stand out.

2. RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas

If healthy, Williams could emerge from this week as a strong candidate to be acquired on the second dayJonathan Williams of the 2016 NFL Draft. A powerful runner with more nimbleness than many thing, Williams size and athleticism should draw scouts’ attention early and often during the week.

3. WR Chris Moore, Cincinnati

Chris MooreMoore isn’t flashy and won’t do everything well, but he has enough speed to work a defense vertically, and can make contested catches with the best of them. His body control, concentration, and hand strength should result in some highlight-reel grabs this week in Mobile, as Moore attempts to claim a third day grade from NFL scouts.

4. WR Paul McRoberts, Southeast Missouri State

Bear with me on this, but I see McRoberts as a smaller, more raw Martavis Bryant. Given that Bryant was extremely raw entering the NFL, McRoberts clearly has some work to do technically, as well as learning to time his jumps and track the ball efficiently. But the combination of size, speed, body control and hand strength are alluring, as is the impressive catch radius to make high degree of difficulty grabs look easy. The former Redhawks basketball player’s athleticism should make noise this week in Senior Bowl practices, especially if he can show a well-rounded route tree.

5. OG Joshua Garnett, Stanford

The Cardinal offensive guard was an absolute mauler during his time at Stanford, but also maneuveredStanford Joshua Garnett pull in space very efficiently for a 330-pound man. Garnett’s legs look like fire hydrants, as he shows the power and tenacity to make quick work of defenders in the box and out on the perimeter as a pulling guard. Has a chance to work himself into the first round conversation with a strong week in Mobile.

6. DT Austin Johnson, Penn State

Austin JohnsonTime to stop sleeping on Johnson, who is one of the better prospects in this year’s draft. Explosive enough to get after the quarterback and powerful enough to dismantle an opponent’s rushing attack, Johnson has rare physical tools and athleticism for the position. His technique has developed nicely, and in a one-gap scheme as a shaded nose, the former Nittany Lion can dominate at the next level.

7. DT Adolphus Washington, Ohio State

People are worried that Washington isn’t that big and has a lanky build, but pop in the tape and you seeAdolphus Washington an athletic three-technique who can rush the passer and make stops in space against the run. If he can show scouts that he’s added some bulk and improved his ability to track the football consistently, Washington is going be an attractive prospect to 4-3 teams on the draft’s second day.

8. DT Sheldon Rankins, Louisville

Sheldon RankinsWe haven’t heard much about Rankins at this point in the pre-draft process, but watching his tape makes it hard for me to believe NFL scouts aren’t on to him already. An explosive one-gap penetrator with the power to hold the point of attack when needed as well, Rankins lack of elite size and length have some analysts souring on him, but the Cardinals defensive tackle is all over the field on tape. His motor and athleticism should be on display all week in Mobile, cementing his status as a legitimate first round prospect.

9. EDGE Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky

I think Spence is by far the best pass-rushing edge at the Senior Bowl, showing quickness off the ball and

the ability to bend the corner with ease. Couple that with the fact that I’m not crazy about any of the offensive tackles he’ll be facing in Mobile, and I think Spence could have a very impressive week.

10. LB Joshua Perry, Ohio State

Joshua PerryPerry’s size and athleticism are major pluses for his profile, but I love his motor and physicality on tape. It has taken him awhile to figure out the mental processing aspects of the position, but he improved immensely this year for the Buckeyes. He has the tools to be a three-down starter in the NFL if he can keep improving his vision and diagnose ability.

11. CB Deiondre’ Hall, Northern Iowa

Hall is long and physical at the line scrimmage, showing impressive fluidity and athleticism to jam andDeiondre Hall mirror receivers down the field in coverage. He needs technical work, and can get beat off the line of scrimmage too often with poor footwork, but scouts will love his desire to play the run and his moldable traits at the next level.

12. S Darian Thompson, Boise State

Darian ThompsonEasily one of the top safeties in an average 2016 class, Thompson brings instincts, athleticism, and ball skills to the table as a free safety prospect. He has the quickness to step into the slot on occasion, and plays the run beautifully, filling his lane with solid tackling and burst to the football. Very excited to see him in action.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Wentz or Goff. Be something if Wentz went from 2nd round to 2nd overall. I like Wentz' size and scrambling ability. Level of competition is only issue. Getting to backup and not have to start immediately would help him if we took him.

I'd be fine with Goff if Browns take Wentz. I just feel Wentz has more upside and stronger arm.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wentz or Goff. Be something if Wentz went from 2nd round to 2nd overall. I like Wentz' size and scrambling ability. Level of competition is only issue. Getting to backup and not have to start immediately would help him if we took him.

I'd be fine with Goff if Browns take Wentz. I just feel Wentz has more upside and stronger arm.
How about you get nothing, and like it?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That stuff about Hackenberg is very true. I know some heads would explode if we drafted him but I still think his ceiling is pretty high if he sits and learns for a couple years. He'd have to fall to the third round though.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I agree. The thing with the browns is they're likely looking for a more or less immediate starter, so I'd guess after all is said and done Goff is their guy.

Top Bottom