Archer: Murray will be mostly right-handed now

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Murray will be mostly right-handed now
September, 18, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With two fumbles in his first two games, Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray is returning to the ball-carrying style he used his first three seasons when he lost just three fumbles.

Murray’s fumbles against the San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans came when he held the ball with his left hand. He said he will go back to holding the football primarily in his right hand.

“I worked on it throughout the offseason," Murray said of using both hands as a ball carrier. "It was something that (running backs coach Gary Brown) and I talked about throughout the course of the year, throughout the offseason. We wanted to get it done and I tried it. Not saying I won’t do it again but I’m just more comfortable and stronger, I think, in my right (hand).”

Emmitt Smith held the ball almost exclusively in his left hand in becoming the NFL’s all-time leading rusher.

“You definitely make more plays when the ball is in your outside hand,” Murray said, “(but) just got to be smart about it and see what happens. Can’t overthink it, so I’m not worried about it.”

Murray is coming off a career-high 29 carries against the Titans.

Murray’s 51 carries are the most he has had in a two-game span in his career. He had 47 carries over back-to-back games in 2011. Only once before has he had more than 20 carries in at least three games, going back to his rookie season.

The added work has not affected his preparation.

“I feel good,” said Murray, who leads the NFL in rushing with 285 yards after two games. “I haven’t been limited or anything like that. I try not to take a lot of hard hits so I think I do well in that department, but I feel fine and it wasn’t a big deal.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not exactly smart. So now teams will be keying on that.

Most of the time, it is smart to just say as little as possible.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't like talking about it so publicly. These things happen, he was never really a fumbler before, but I hope it does not become a mental thing. Green-Ellis had a long period of time where he did not fumble, then all of a sudden he became a fumbler.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Emmitt made so many hidden yards by using his right arm to knock defenders' hands away.

DeMarco just wants to hang on tighter. Whatever works, I guess. I don't get Murray's running style at all. I wonder what he'd be like if he didn't go seeking contact and just ran to daylight.

Maybe his shit offensive lines at Oklahoma and in his first years in Dallas have forever ruined whatever vision he had.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Murray isn't really making contact much this season.

D

Deuce

I don't know about you guys, but I love giving our RB one more thing to think about instead of playing the game naturally.

Top Bottom